ABF | Before you vote, know this.

dezldoctr01

TB Lurker
Credits
In the proxy report (which is available to you) Bob Davidson, who already received $2.6 million to retire is still owed over $9 mil. nearly $7 mil to be paid out this year. Also he will receive nearly $13,000 a month full access to the corp jet and duck club. Remember this when they ask for $500 a month from you.

[quote author=dezldoctr01 link=topic=79282.msg822168#msg822168 date=1271458289]
In the proxy report (which is available to you) Bob Davidson, who already received $2.6 million to retire is still owed over $9 mil. nearly $7 mil to be paid out this year. Also he will receive nearly $13,000 a month full access to the corp jet and duck club. Remember this when they ask for $500 a month from you.
[/quote] Dang!!!! they could put that to good use ,like fixing our dock plates or fixing all the chuck holes in the lot!!! What is a duck club?? Can any of us commoners join?? Can we get a ride on the corp. jet if we agree to the right give back package?? Come on, sweeten the pot !!!!!

hey guys i work for newpenn i voted no on are conessions and the ibt ****ed us any way dont do it vote no hoffa and his boys are getting rich on are backs stand up to them

A yes vote here shows corporate America that they can mismanage its company and if the government wont help bail them out than the Teamster leaders will sell (force) it to the members.

Remember when the IBT said that ABF is not in the same boat as YRC, yet a 15% concession good for the duration of the contract. Yes the pension is not in "THIS" package, remember the first YRC package.

Then came the second package, then the vote til we get the results we want started. And we still have locals that did not except the second concession fully or at all and YRC is still open.

What did ABF do to all that money they had on hand to buy out of the CS plan just a little over a year ago?

Here it is, the IBT has lost members in DHL, screwed up all of YRC, now ABF and many issues exist at UPS, are these truly the right people to advise us on whats best for us?

After you answer that last question than votes what is in your best interest.

Red

By my figures,they still have 150 million on cash reserve. Did you notice that Tyson or the company's not mentioning this. We are being railroaded boys and girls!

[quote author=JustAWorkingMan link=topic=79282.msg822993#msg822993 date=1271715844]
By my figures,they still have 150 million on cash reserve. Did you notice that Tyson or the company's not mentioning this. We are being railroaded boys and girls!
[/quote]
At 165 we were told that management would meet with us to discuss the plan, whats up with that, I thought i paid dues for my union to represent me? If the companies management is going to let me know about negotiated concessions what are my dues used for?

[quote author=JustAWorkingMan link=topic=79282.msg822993#msg822993 date=1271715844]
[/quote]

BUT...they had over $300 M over a year ago.....the reserves are getting smaller......kk

[quote author=Kennesaw Kid link=topic=79282.msg823141#msg823141 date=1271760769]
[/quote]

BUT...they had over $300 M over a year ago.....the reserves are getting smaller......kk
[/quote]

Yes,but by their own doing. The met with the union last year and actually walked out on the union because the wouldn't open the books. Now, a year later they open the books. You don't work for ABF, you haven't seen all the things that they were doing just to make the books good. Just ask any line driver,city driver or checker and they saw it all the time.In the business world,it's called a short time loss for a long time gain. Go back to 1988 and you will see that ABF was almost destroyed from that takeover attempt because they have always run a very profitable company.Don't you think that they learned a very valuable lesson from that.

[quote author=Red link=topic=79282.msg822990#msg822990 date=1271715089]
Remember when the IBT said that ABF is not in the same boat as YRC, yet a 15% concession good for the duration of the contract. Yes the pension is not in "THIS" package, remember the first YRC package.

[/quote]

If this has concession is going to happen then why are we taking a bigger cut (wage wise) than YRC? We are being asked for 15% while YRC gave 10% and 5%. That's not the same thing:

YRC: $2,000 x 10%=$200 making your new earnings $1,800
$1,800 X 5%=$90 making your new earnings $1,710

ABF: $2,000 X 15%=$300 making your new earnings $1700

If you do the math YRC gave back 14.5% off the original earnings while we are being asked for 15%. In this earnings example we give back an extra $520 in year one compared to YRC.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 5:02 AM
Subject: Wage Reduction - Job Security Plan

Wesley B. Kemp
President and Chief Executive Officer

Dear Fellow Employees,

As you know, ABF lost almost $100 million in 2009, the greatest loss in our history, due largely to the worst economic conditions since the Great Depression of the 1930s and our inability to adjust spending to the levels of our competitors. In addition, our parent company's unrestricted cash reserves have dropped 44% and we're starting to take on debt again. While some segments of the economy are showing signs of recovery, the LTL sector of our industry is still lagging. There continues to be excess capacity, and companies with significant cost and operating advantages are taking a toll on our margins. Very simply, we need more business and better yields which doesn't appear likely in the foreseeable future. There are just too many LTL carriers for the volume of business currently available in the market.

In light of this situation, we approached the IBT some time ago in an effort to negotiate a Wage Reduction - Job Security Plan (The Plan) similar to that of our primary competitor, YRCW. After many days and weeks of discussions and negotiations, we've reached a tentative agreement that I believe is fair, appropriate, and the absolute minimum necessary given our circumstances. I assure you this is not something I relish doing. What's made ABF great is the caliber of our people and I'm finding it most difficult to ask you to help solve a problem that is not of our doing. However, in reality, I feel we have little choice if we're to insure the long-term security of our jobs and the viability of our company. Consequently, we're asking our contractual employees to approve a 15% wage and salary reduction for the duration of the current 2008-2013 National Master Freight Agreement (NMFA ). In exchange, we've agreed with the IBT to include multiple snapback provisions that would restore some or all of the wage and mileage rates if ABF's operating metrics improve sufficiently. In addition to snapback provisions, we've agreed to establish the Earnings Plus plan. Under Earnings Plus, employees will receive cash payments every calendar quarter for which the company's public operating ratio is better than 99. The better the company operates, the more employees will receive. It's actually possible to earn more than was originally sacrificed in a quarter although, that will require a considerable improvement from where we are today. The snapback and Earnings Plus provisions are automatic. When company performance improves sufficiently, employees will earn additional income without our having to return to the bargaining table which, as you know, can be a very time consuming process. Earnings Plus will apply to both union and non-union employees.

The Plan requires the company to continue making full contributions to the health & welfare and pension funds of our contractual employees. In addition, it stipulates equal sacrifice of all employees, union and non-union alike, including management. However, the sacrifices already borne by our non-contractual employees since the beginning of 2008 will be taken into account.

Full details of The Plan are available online and I ask that you keep an open mind and exercise patience until you've been fully informed of its content by both company and Teamster officials. It's important that you make a decision based on facts rather than what you may have heard in the rumor mill. There will be meetings held by local unions as well as the company. I encourage you to attend those meetings and get your questions fully addressed. You will also be receiving a Team Report DVD at home covering our results for the first quarter of 2010 and key points of The Plan. In addition, starting today you may call the toll-free job security hotline devoted exclusively to answering your questions - just dial 877-321-8270 at any time. It's available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week until this matter is concluded. You may also send me an email at [email protected] or post a question under the new InfoRoundtable subject, ABF and IBT Job Security, found at abfatwork.com.

I'm most pleased to learn of the IBT leadership's overwhelming endorsement of The Plan and ask for your full support during this particularly challenging time in our history.

i worked for abf for 22yrs. retired now and really don't have a say in the matter. if i were going to give back 15% you would think your dues would go down by the same amount. nohere have i seen this. yrcs dues didn't go down

[quote author=MGF link=topic=79282.msg823561#msg823561 date=1271888272]
i worked for abf for 22yrs. retired now and really don't have a say in the matter. if i were going to give back 15% you would think your dues would go down by the same amount. nohere have i seen this. yrcs dues didn't go down
[/quote]

Yes the Union Dues went down !

Your Union dues are based on your pay times 2.5 ( different conferences do it different ) and what ever your local adds in IE strike funds ,building funds . Hope that helps

[quote author=MGF link=topic=79282.msg823561#msg823561 date=1271888272]
[The dues did go down. Mine did./quote]