Estes | Best way for me to become a Line Haul driver?..

TheTruckJockey

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello all! I'm looking for feedback on what would be the most efficient way for me to eventually become a line haul driver. I actually just got hired on as a overnight Jockey at the Dallas terminal. I currently have a class A I obtain through my last employer with no restrictions, no endorsements and only about 3months of tractor trailer experience.

I plan to jockey 6mo. to a year with my end goal being a Line Haul driver. In your opinion, with me really not having to much driving time on the road in a tractor trailer (less than one year), what's the best case scenario of me ultimately going Line Haul. Should I go Hub/Combo, P&D exc. first before going Line Haul or will I be able to go Line Haul after jockeying for about year and getting my endorsements even with me not having much tractor trailer road time?

Any and all advice would be helpful!

With only a few months experience, your best bet will be to go through Estes’ driving school. You’ll probably be put in the city for a year or so and then have the opportunity to move to combo or linehaul.

With only a few months experience, your best bet will be to go through Estes’ driving school. You’ll probably be put in the city for a year or so and then have the opportunity to move to combo or linehaul.
Thanks for the feedback! @drummerforhire! Now I'm wondering with me already having a CDL, what would the Estes driving program look like for me vs. someone who doesn't have a CDL that's enrolled in the driver training?..

I’d imagine the training would be about the same as if you didn’t have a cdl, just due to the lack of experience, the difference being that you wouldn’t have to get a cdl at the end of the program.

Mike Lopez is the regional safety manager out there and he visits Dallas pretty regularly. He’s pretty personable and can give you some better answers.

I’d imagine the training would be about the same as if you didn’t have a cdl, just due to the lack of experience, the difference being that you wouldn’t have to get a cdl at the end of the program.

Mike Lopez is the regional safety manager out there and he visits Dallas pretty regularly. He’s pretty personable and can give you some better answers.
Yea, that's kind of the idea I had about how the training program would go. Preciate the feedback!

I would ask your TM if you could do the after school training that people are required to do after they go to the Estes school. 3 weeks in the city and 2 weeks running the road. If you go to the school they make you sign a 2 year contract and you're not gonna learn anything new by being there.

I would ask your TM if you could do the after school training that people are required to do after they go to the Estes school. 3 weeks in the city and 2 weeks running the road. If you go to the school they make you sign a 2 year contract and you're not gonna learn anything new by being there.
Right, sounds like a plan. I was hoping I didn't neccesarily have to go through all of that again, but I was willing if I have to, too ultimately become a LTL driver but just without the 2 year contract lol!

I'll chat with my TM and see what he says. Thanks! @M3ATY

Get your hazmat, tanker, and doubles/triples endorsement on your license. Like others have said talk with safety guy and t.m. too. Getting the needed endorsements without them telling you to will show initiative and make them notice that you are serious.

Get your hazmat, tanker, and doubles/triples endorsement on your license. Like others have said talk with safety guy and t.m. too. Getting the needed endorsements without them telling you to will show initiative and make them notice that you are serious

Get your hazmat, tanker, and doubles/triples endorsement on your license. Like others have said talk with safety guy and t.m. too. Getting the needed endorsements without them telling you to will show initiative and make them notice that you are serious.

Working on doubles & triples and hazmats as we speak. Preciate it!

You’ll do fine then! Keep up the good work, take the good with the bad and start 401k immediately and live below your means and you’ll have a great ltl freight experience.

The old guys who are mad and complaining all the time are always in debt and don’t have a back up plan. Remember that. You’ll think back and laugh once you realize it is true.

Hello all! I'm looking for feedback on what would be the most efficient way for me to eventually become a line haul driver. I actually just got hired on as a overnight Jockey at the Dallas terminal. I currently have a class A I obtain through my last employer with no restrictions, no endorsements and only about 3months of tractor trailer experience.

I plan to jockey 6mo. to a year with my end goal being a Line Haul driver. In your opinion, with me really not having to much driving time on the road in a tractor trailer (less than one year), what's the best case scenario of me ultimately going Line Haul. Should I go Hub/Combo, P&D exc. first before going Line Haul or will I be able to go Line Haul after jockeying for about year and getting my endorsements even with me not having much tractor trailer road time?

Any and all advice would be helpful!
Let the TM and Linehaul supervisor know you want to eventually run Line and you already have your CDL. They may or may not have you go through the driving school with your lack of experience, or they might have you do extended training. Honestly I wouldn't go city or hub if you want to run line. You'll get stuck there and it might be a hassle to move over.

Right now it's slow so they probably won't be in a rush to get you on Line, but when it's slammed and they're desperate for drivers you'll be a almost automatic to linehaul after training since you have a CDL. If you haven't already go get your Doubles and Triples, Tanker and Hazmat. Doubles and tanker are easy, Hazmat is slightly more difficult but still easy but you'll have to do a background. Those are required, so make sure you have them.

Let the TM and Linehaul supervisor know you want to eventually run Line and you already have your CDL. They may or may not have you go through the driving school with your lack of experience, or they might have you do extended training. Honestly I wouldn't go city or hub if you want to run line. You'll get stuck there and it might be a hassle to move over.

Right now it's slow so they probably won't be in a rush to get you on Line, but when it's slammed and they're desperate for drivers you'll be a almost automatic to linehaul after training since you have a CDL. If you haven't already go get your Doubles and Triples, Tanker and Hazmat. Doubles and tanker are easy, Hazmat is slightly more difficult but still easy but you'll have to do a background. Those are required, so make sure you have them.
Great advice @Linehaul3Life, I appreciate that! I will definitely follow through with that! Working on my Doubles & Triples and Hazmats as we speak.