Big hiring

FirefighterDoug

TB Lurker
Credits
Apple Valley,Red Bluff and Porterville will each be picking up 13-15 new drivers. If you have ever wanted to work for Wal-Mart now is the time to apply,this is a big hire and if your looking to get on this may be your best chance in a long time. Applications will be accepted until 9/12 if things go like they went for my class the orientation for new hires will most likely be sometime in November. You will need to take your time and do a good job on your application,be sure you meet the minimum requirements and be honest about everything in your past.

Honesty,integrity and safety are the traits that you need to show you have from the minute you start your application. If you are new to the forum you may not be aware of how many people want to work for the private fleet and how many very well qualified applicants you will be up against. For the last recruitment at Apple Valley there were 2400 applications received of which 750 were deemed eligible and moved on to the review process from there they selected 20 applicants to interview and we ended up with six in our class. Everyone in my class had 20+ years of experience,stellar safety records and very stable work historys which is well above the minimum requirements. If you meet the minimum requirements by all means apply because this is a big hire and they may have to consider applicants that in the past would not have made it past the review process. Reading the posts from myself and the others in the forum will be a great help especially if you are lucky enough to get the call to interview. Good luck and if you have questions be sure to ask there are some great people here that would be happy to help.

FirefighterDoug said:
Apple Valley,Red Bluff and Porterville will each be picking up 13-15 new drivers. If you have ever wanted to work for Wal-Mart now is the time to apply,this is a big hire and if your looking to get on this may be your best chance in a long time. Applications will be accepted until 9/12 if things go like they went for my class the orientation for new hires will most likely be sometime in November. You will need to take your time and do a good job on your application,be sure you meet the minimum requirements and be honest about everything in your past.

Honesty,integrity and safety are the traits that you need to show you have from the minute you start your application. If you are new to the forum you may not be aware of how many people want to work for the private fleet and how many very well qualified applicants you will be up against. For the last recruitment at Apple Valley there were 2400 applications received of which 750 were deemed eligible and moved on to the review process from there they selected 20 applicants to interview and we ended up with six in our class. Everyone in my class had 20+ years of experience,stellar safety records and very stable work historys which is well above the minimum requirements. If you meet the minimum requirements by all means apply because this is a big hire and they may have to consider applicants that in the past would not have made it past the review process. Reading the posts from myself and the others in the forum will be a great help especially if you are lucky enough to get the call to interview. Good luck and if you have questions be sure to ask there are some great people here that would be happy to help.

I applied for Apple Valley. I think I'm a decent app. Since 02 I have only worked for Roadway and ABF. But 01. I worked for coca cola and then a little truckload company waiting for Roadway to call me.

I have only 11 years driving experience. And I'm 33. But my safety record is outstanding. No tickets or accidents. Close to 500,000 miles accident free.

I'm just worried bout my employment history. I'm worried those 2 jobs in 01 may hurt me.

Hey Stoney

Like I said this is a very competetive process with tons of applicants including many who way exceed the minimum requirements but because this is a big hire now is the right time to try and get on. Work history is important but will fall in behind a stellar safety record so you should be good to go. I was told by one of our senior drivers that the average age of a Wal-Mart new hire is 51 and out of my group no one was younger than 45 (Lost Boy?). All of us were close to or retired from our previous employers and two are drawing teamster pensions.

Just a little note for those that are retired out of the teamsters, because Wal-Mart is a private fleet you can work for us and collect your pension. I should have waited another eight years and I would have been eligible to collect my pension but I had been waiting a long time for my chance with Wal-Mart. When you add what we make to even a smaller teamster pension it makes for a very sweet pay day. I was very suprised how many ex union guys are working for Wal-Mart

They seem to like to look at people that are older with 20+ years of driving experience. I can tell you that we have some drivers that were hired as young as 28 but that is the exception not the rule,once again they are going to have to dig deep because of the large number of drivers they are bringing on. You have to remember that they just went thru the whole process in March for our group and they really had trouble finding people they wanted to interview and they had thousands of applications to look at.

You should also consider putting in for Porterville and even Red Bluff you could always put in to transfer to Apple Valley after your year is up. Be patient and take extra care not to have any accidents,incidents or violations of any kind while your in the hiring process and if you get called for an interview I will get with you on the PM side and give you some tips. You will want to bring your A game to the interview so start thinking about your closing statement and polish it up so your ready if you get the call.

FirefighterDoug said:
Hey Stoney

Like I said this is a very competetive process with tons of applicants including many who way exceed the minimum requirements but because this is a big hire now is the right time to try and get on. Work history is important but will fall in behind a stellar safety record so you should be good to go. I was told by one of our senior drivers that the average age of a Wal-Mart new hire is 51 and out of my group no one was younger than 45 (Lost Boy?). All of us were close to or retired from our previous employers and two are drawing teamster pensions.

Just a little note for those that are retired out of the teamsters, because Wal-Mart is a private fleet you can work for us and collect your pension. I should have waited another eight years and I would have been eligible to collect my pension but I had been waiting a long time for my chance with Wal-Mart. When you add what we make to even a smaller teamster pension it makes for a very sweet pay day. I was very suprised how many ex union guys are working for Wal-Mart

They seem to like to look at people that are older with 20+ years of driving experience. I can tell you that we have some drivers that were hired as young as 28 but that is the exception not the rule,once again they are going to have to dig deep because of the large number of drivers they are bringing on. You have to remember that they just went thru the whole process in March for our group and they really had trouble finding people they wanted to interview and they had thousands of applications to look at.

You should also consider putting in for Porterville and even Red Bluff you could always put in to transfer to Apple Valley after your year is up. Be patient and take extra care not to have any accidents,incidents or violations of any kind while your in the hiring process and if you get called for an interview I will get with you on the PM side and give you some tips. You will want to bring your A game to the interview so start thinking about your closing statement and polish it up so your ready if you get the call.

Thank you, I'll be pataint, appreciate the advice. I'll let you know.

I will go ahead and apply with Portersville too. Red Bluff is just to far. I live in Kingman Az

Well, I got a call from Porterville, Ca. I have an interview set up 11-7 at 1pm. Wish me luck!!!!