New Penn | Bill LOVES New Penn

First of all lets remember one thing....NEVER, EVER say that you KNOW that anything makes money. You do not. You know what they want you to know, plain and simple. The same way they buried Holland costs in Red Star years ago, to keep Holland all pumped up.

I can tell you that the way they change the revenue splits on a monthly basis, there are some shenanigans that the average worker hs no clue about. Trust me.

Next back when NPME was operating in the 70's and HMES was operating in the 80's they handled freight in their respective areas. That was with more competition. Lets remember NPME was doing this while, APA, Red Star and many otehr carriers were still around. The YRC regional groups are handling less than 1% of the total inter regional business available. They are doing it with dirt cheap rates. They are cutting their own bottom line. You have Yellow reps and NPME and HMES reps fighting for the same business.

How is that good business ????

Now if you combine the sales force they will stop doing that.

As far as the sales force goes, why in the world do you need a NPME rep, a YFSY rep, a RDWY rep and a HMES rep all calling on the same customer. This is the DUMBEST thing in the industry.

You are paying 4 salaries, 4 company cars, 4 benefits packages, 4 car insurances, 4 lunches. HELLO IS ANYBODY HOME.....

And you have the balls to tell me that combining sales forces is crap.... PLEASE

Now lets go back to the customer who is getting freight from Yellow and HMES on Monday, NPME and RDWY on Tuesday and NPME and HMES on Wed. All these loads are being loaded at different terminals, dispatched by different dispatchers, filled by different fuel pumps.

ALL TO DO THE SAME F***ING THING.

Now you can say that all my ideas are crap, watch your stock continue to be rated as a junk stock and watch as your brothers are laid off.

All while the UPSF and FedEx Freight and Conways and Estes continue to grow at your expense.

And all the while Bill Z will collect millions upon millions of dollars.

Please don't lump Estes in here, we really don't deserve it :hysterical: but you do make some really interesting points about things that I've wondered about myself.

Does anyone know what our OR is/was for last year? I asked our TM last summer/fall and he never got back to me. Also, the YRC shoving their #'s and %'s and all that load factor BS on us didn't make a difference. It's as simple as pick it up today and deliver it tomorrow morning as damage free as possible. Our central dispatch operates off of pencil and paper! They tried to make a computer program for that, but soon scrapped it. Sometimes what they do with us doesn't make sense, but we get it done.

don't know what the or is but in the conferance call it was stated we operated better in the 4th qtr of 07 than 06.

friend of the frog, your right an if you read the new contract,it said if you come from a NMFA company you will start @ 90% of rate,than after one year, go to top rate, three years for every one else.Sounds like someone knowns something,JR? an i don't think they are going to dovetail either

ok, fof, your right i cant say for sure i know were are makeing money on interlineing with reddaway, but i do knowwere are makeing 4 day del. times and it is being tracked daily.i asume, like reason we still after 16+ yrs. interlineing with wilson,that we are makeing money, otherwise it would have stopped or after that period of time, neither could continue to take the loss's or burrying of cost you say happened at rs/holland.we interlined with bullet freight for 15 yrs, before the reddaway thing started and once again i come to same conclusion, that if both werent makeing money it would have stopped yrs ago.also gives npme pretty good insight on east coast west coast interlineing cost structure, and what is needed cost wise to profit from such operatations.the fact that someone higher up than tm position told me just how profitable this interline was, includeing how we were cleaning up on fuel sur-charges, are you saying that is irealivent or just a big lie? differance to me is npme, reddaway and the rest are whooly owned subsidarys of yrc, under regional group, npme isnt going to take the hit for reddaway or vice=versa. while your speaking of usf owning rs,holland , etc., and pushing costs to one carrier that makes other carrier look good, but usf still divied out money to each carrier in the end. npme now under yrc pays yrc certain amount off the top, and whats left is npme to invest back into company for improved technolgy and equipment.if the operations arent profitable like i contend they are, than how do we buy 150+ new trailers yearly, 75+ new tractors, forklifts, and keep improveing on technology with citymen computers.if we wernt profitable in our daily operations includeing interlineing even yrc wouldnt be kicking back that kind of money to npme so we have one one the most updated tractors and trailers and technolgy in the business.one last thing, i bet you npme keeps their sales force in tack, cause they can and for while now have been able to sell all sections of the country, with either yrc regional carriers or our own partners .if you didnt work for npme why would you care if you sold any freight for them or not?

Dude you need to separate your paragraphs and use capital letters, because you make some great points, but it is so hard to read your posts.

This is the best I can do for you.

First when NPME was partnering with Wilson and DFL and Alvan the price structure was very different. They were not throwing around 70-80 percent discounts. The pricing was very responsible and all company's flourished.

That is not the case here. They are sometimes moving freight from the northeast to the west coast for less than $200 a pallet. That does not cover costs. Plain and simple brother you need at least $250.00 per pallet position to break even. You have to figure we average $80 for a pick up cost and $80 on the delivery end. Then you have dock handling and line haul. If you are picking up multiple shipments your numbers go down drastically.

I have very close friends who sell for NPME and tell me how D-83 slpits get changed on them every month.

In case you do not know how they work D-83's are the standard by which cost is assessed on partnership business.

If NPME is picking up a shipment and it is going to HMES you figure out the mileage and it gets divided. Say it travels 50 miles in NPME area and 50 miles in the HMES area, the charges and costs are split down the middle 50/50. If they are moving 60% NPME and 40% HMES is gets a 60/40 split. Follow so far.

Well you have steady moves say from NY to Detroit Mi. that are assessed at 60/40 one month and 70/30 the following month. These are internal numbers that most people could care less about. However, if you are a salesman getting paid a percentage of revenue, damn straight you pay attention.

So when these things happen it raises flags that numbers are getting fudged. In the YRC group no one cares because if you take $10 from HMES and give it to NPME, YRC is still even. Wall St could care less.

However, when you are trying to position yourself for closing terminals, it makes all the sense in the world.

Reddaway is bleeding money we need to shut 27 terminals. HMES is losing money we need to shut 6 terminals. NPME is doing great we leave them alone.

Do you see where I am coming from now???

The end game is to close as many terminals as possible, chop as many heads. Turn YRC into a leaner machine. It is good for the shareholders and the long term contracted employees of the strong units.

Everyone else should pay attention though.

friend of frog should rename friend of manegment opie dopie or newpenn sales wannabe

Its stupid comments like this that keep people like you in the dark. Someone comes in and tries to let you know what is actually happening and all you can do is make dumb comments.

If you have nothing intelligent to add to the topic at hand, why don't you just keep your ignorant mouth closed.

Dude you need to separate your paragraphs and use capital letters, because you make some great points, but it is so hard to read your posts.

This is the best I can do for you.

First when NPME was partnering with Wilson and DFL and Alvan the price structure was very different. They were not throwing around 70-80 percent discounts. The pricing was very responsible and all company's flourished.

That is not the case here. They are sometimes moving freight from the northeast to the west coast for less than $200 a pallet. That does not cover costs. Plain and simple brother you need at least $250.00 per pallet position to break even. You have to figure we average $80 for a pick up cost and $80 on the delivery end. Then you have dock handling and line haul. If you are picking up multiple shipments your numbers go down drastically.

I have very close friends who sell for NPME and tell me how D-83 slpits get changed on them every month.

In case you do not know how they work D-83's are the standard by which cost is assessed on partnership business.

If NPME is picking up a shipment and it is going to HMES you figure out the mileage and it gets divided. Say it travels 50 miles in NPME area and 50 miles in the HMES area, the charges and costs are split down the middle 50/50. If they are moving 60% NPME and 40% HMES is gets a 60/40 split. Follow so far.

Well you have steady moves say from NY to Detroit Mi. that are assessed at 60/40 one month and 70/30 the following month. These are internal numbers that most people could care less about. However, if you are a salesman getting paid a percentage of revenue, damn straight you pay attention.

So when these things happen it raises flags that numbers are getting fudged. In the YRC group no one cares because if you take $10 from HMES and give it to NPME, YRC is still even. Wall St could care less.

However, when you are trying to position yourself for closing terminals, it makes all the sense in the world.

Reddaway is bleeding money we need to shut 27 terminals. HMES is losing money we need to shut 6 terminals. NPME is doing great we leave them alone.

Do you see where I am coming from now???

The end game is to close as many terminals as possible, chop as many heads. Turn YRC into a leaner machine. It is good for the shareholders and the long term contracted employees of the strong units.

Everyone else should pay attention though.

i've had many differences with you but you are correct with the moving of a pallet, coast to coast, for $200. i've questioned management about this but as you all can imagine i've yet to get a clear-cut answer. while it doesn't happen alot ( from reading my bills & manifest along with several others) the fact that it happens bothers me. trying to gain new business & maintaining it by offering a discount ? fine but when does the gravy train stop ? don't get me wrong, i've seen costs for frt. interlined in the $400-$500 range but just not enough.

i had the opportunity to discuss several of these topics with one of our sales people and they pretty much touched on some of what you stated. in terms of splitting monies, interlining, etc., Wall St. doesn't give a damn and YRC still gets paid. very well put post FOTF.

I appreciate what FoTF brings to the boards owlpuss. If you don't like what he has to say you don't have to read it.

Interesting that you would pick on a one line post for your retribution/intimidation.

Why are you interested in suppressing an opinion?

fof, d-83's thats what interline costs are called? learned something new, thanks. so you're saying for freight moveing same places with same carriers-interlineing- they change numbers on the sales people when ever they want? this might sound dumb but doesnt' sales have some recourse agisnt this, if numbers posted one month are changed next month, than back again. especially if it effects there % of revenue pay check? i guess they can quit, but just seems like any accounting aduit of such pratices , would clearly show some kind of funny stuff going on and through up a red flag that would have aduiters questioning this practice.you know what i'm trying to ask here? sorry if not clear but really tired this morning.to tired to argue about anything.

fof, d-83's thats what interline costs are called? learned something new, thanks. so you're saying for freight moveing same places with same carriers-interlineing- they change numbers on the sales people when ever they want? this might sound dumb but doesnt' sales have some recourse agisnt this, if numbers posted one month are changed next month, than back again. especially if it effects there % of revenue pay check? i guess they can quit, but just seems like any accounting aduit of such pratices , would clearly show some kind of funny stuff going on and through up a red flag that would have aduiters questioning this practice.you know what i'm trying to ask here? sorry if not clear but really tired this morning.to tired to argue about anything.

No need to argue about anything, brother. You are right and I will now return back into my hole.

I never learn.

Owlpussy, You Are Way Off Base About Friend Of The Frog.
The Frog Is The Friend Of Whats Right !!!
He Should Be Called superfrog !
Usf Redstar Union Guy's Know The Truth .
You're right MR-UPSFREIGHT ,Brother Frog Should be called super frog.He did a Great job as most sales men did at Red Star.Too bad USF ran us into the ground and we all know the reasons for that one so no need to open old wounds again.

I appreciate what FoTF brings to the boards owlpuss. If you don't like what he has to say you don't have to read it.

i didnt say anything stoping him from posting here. its open fourm. frof is anti union . i worked for red starl albany ny for 21 years now with holland .

Owlpussy, You Are Way Off Base About Friend Of The Frog.
The Frog Is The Friend Of Whats Right !!!
He Should Be Called superfrog !
Usf Redstar Union Guy's Know The Truth .

ok mr upussyfreight.you were proubly the as... hole who almost ran me over while we were handbilling overnite . i have 21 years redstar teamster years now with holland hoping for 5 more.

ok mr upussyfreight.you were proubly the as... hole who almost ran me over while we were handbilling overnite . i have 21 years redstar teamster years now with holland hoping for 5 more.

You know what, your posts are some of the dumbest, most ignorant posts on these boards.

You like to take personal attacks at me and do not like it when others comes to my defense. Your brothers, who personally know me, come to my defense.

I'll give you some advise, Owlpuss, speak of which you know, which I am sure is very vast.

First, I have never really considered myself anti union. Do I support the Teamsters organization ?? Do I bring up there short comings ??? You betcha I do.

Am I resentful that they cost me a job that I loved ??? Damn straight.

With all that being said, am I anti union, no. I believe that organized labor has a place in the workforce, but for union members to think that the union's leadership has their members needs at the front, is just plain ignorant.

When a member says they do not trust the union's leadership, it is accepted. However, if an outsider says the same thing, he is a **** or anti union. That is simply not true.

So go back under the rock from where you crawled and good luck getting you last five years. I have a hard time thinking you will get five more months, never mind five years.

At that point we will see what the union does for you ......AGAIN