FedEx Freight | Bluetooth Now Legal In Our Tractors

So tell us oh wise one how would you get tough with a driver who didn't want to use their cell phone for company business? You were probably one of those lazy dispatchers who wanted to play on Facebook and internet, rather than do your job and answer messages on hand held to call customers for drivers.
Probably played favorites like the rest of em do.

Everything this company does has to be approved by the legal dept, that’s why nothing happens overnight...
not disagreeing at all. why would it take years? most other freight lines do have it in place. my guess is that several drivers weren't happy with our latest raise and benefit package and decided to quite using their personal phones. now they're backtracking on the policy.

you guys are taking this cell phone thing way too far, IMO. Why bite the hand that feeds you?

I’ve dispatched before and if a driver wanted to get tough, it’s very easy to get tough back.

I would pick my battles more wisely.

I've mentioned this before, but it's worth a refresher. Your tone and misguided approach are both indicators of ineffective leadership. Regardless of your (leadership) position, your 1st goal should be to get those under your command on your side, and willing to go above and beyond. Force feeding under threat, veiled or otherwise, never works long term.

As to the policy, you'd be better served by just following it. DON'T call drivers on their personal cell phone. Send a message via the handheld. There is a record AND the driver will reply as (and when) appropriate.

Your "get tough back" approach, which equates to retaliation, may work on a driver or two, until H/R gets wind of it. Even without H/R, as the number of disgruntled drivers grows (thanks to you), they can and will make your job nearly impossible. And they can do it within policy, under the regulations, and much easier than you can do the same.

Never forget, your job is to make their job easier and more efficient. Get them on board, and they'll amaze you. Lose them, and they'll crush you.

That’s the policy but I’d say drivers stopped answering fedex calls.Hubs can’t plan the kickouts drivers start filing to get paid for runs they were passed over on. All the sudden new policy.
Seems to me, Central should be communicating via the handheld text (per policy), since it will read the message aloud while driving. Then the driver can either call them back or text back when appropriate.

Seems there should be a reasonable amount of time given to reply. Then they can move down the list. Worth knowing, the text feature documents the offer, and time stamps it.

I've mentioned this before, but it's worth a refresher. Your tone and misguided approach are both indicators of ineffective leadership. Regardless of your (leadership) position, your 1st goal should be to get those under your command on your side, and willing to go above and beyond. Force feeding under threat, veiled or otherwise, never works long term.

As to the policy, you'd be better served by just following it. DON'T call drivers on their personal cell phone. Send a message via the handheld. There is a record AND the driver will reply as (and when) appropriate.

Your "get tough back" approach, which equates to retaliation, may work on a driver or two, until H/R gets wind of it. Even without H/R, as the number of disgruntled drivers grows (thanks to you), they can and will make your job nearly impossible. And they can do it within policy, under the regulations, and much easier than you can do the same.

Never forget, your job is to make their job easier and more efficient. Get them on board, and they'll amaze you. Lose them, and they'll crush you.

oookaaaaay. :-)

Years ago, RTL started writing petty warning letters, leaving mileage off logs, not punching in or out,etc
Line driver supervisor told Jax, these warning letters are costing the company $75 or $100 each in manufactured
delay or breakdown time.
The letter writing campaign stopped overnight. Keep your employees happy.

not disagreeing at all. why would it take years? most other freight lines do have it in place. my guess is that several drivers weren't happy with our latest raise and benefit package and decided to quite using their personal phones. now they're backtracking on the policy.
I can’t answer why it takes years, it just does. I guess they have to research all of the ways we could be held liable then weight the pros against the cons, I don’t work in legal. :idunno:

Your guess would be wrong since the policy clearly says, “employees are not expected or required to use their personal phones for company business”!!

I can’t answer why it takes years, it just does. I guess they have to research all of the ways we could be held liable then weight the pros against the cons, I don’t work in legal. :idunno:

Your guess would be wrong since the policy clearly says, “employees are not expected or required to use their personal phones for company business”!!

I don't work in legal?? that must be a first, never heard of a truck driver that wasn't a lawyer.

Funny.... I thought a dispatcher’s job was to punish the guys that work and cater to the ones that won’t

Your wrong again. Most employees voluntarily were using their personal phones. They don't now because of the crappy raise. It doesn't take this companies legal team to make this decision. It's legal!! And they expect you to use your phone.