Bobcat dodges bullets

Perhaps those of you that have knowledge can explain to me, the purpose of tracer bullets?

I know i have seen them countless times in war movies, but here is my thought, if you can see the tracer, doesn't that mean the enemy can as well, and get a bead on you too?

I just do not understand the full purpose of tracers, either for hunting or in wars, can someone explain?

thanks in advance

Tracers show where the bullets are going when you miss the target.If you don't have time to adjust your sights you can adjust your aim and walk the round into the target.They may be hard on some small barrels and they could start a fire in dry conditions.And where would Rambo be without them.

They were big in early air combat. The old double wing dogfights. Where you had guns mounted but no real sighting mechanism. Or any way to judge range.

It's just a little chemical flare on the butt of the round. So it doesn't really glow at the target.

Why the hell some dumbass redneck would use one for hunting ? Cause he drinks more than he shoots. Is careless and irresponsible. Has no idea where that round is going when he pulls the trigger.

They were big in early air combat. The old double wing dogfights. Where you had guns mounted but no real sighting mechanism. Or any way to judge range.

It's just a little chemical flare on the butt of the round. So it doesn't really glow at the target.

Why the hell some dumbass redneck would use one for hunting ? Cause he drinks more than he shoots. Is careless and irresponsible. Has no idea where that round is going when he pulls the trigger.

Ok, thanks.

i personally do not hunt, but will defend the rights of others to do so. But like so many others, "responsible" hunting must take place as well. make it a clean kill, and not just shooting for fun. I have seen way too many pics and videos of severely wounded animals left to die a horrible slow death, or become an easy target for another animal predator.

If one cannot hunt responsibly, then that same one should never be allowed to own, handle, or shoot ANY type of firearm, (to include bow and arrow, slingshot, darts, etc,etc.) regardless of Constitutional rights.

If one cannot respect the life they are taking away, then they should not be allowed to do so.

Fun (for me) would be at a target range, indoors or outdoors, and for maybe points, trophy's, etc.

I know i have seen them countless times in war movies, but here is my thought, if you can see the tracer, doesn't that mean the enemy can as well, and get a bead on you too?

In Murphy's Laws of Combat, one of the basic tenets is "Tracers work both ways."

In Murphy's Laws of Combat, one of the basic tenets is "Tracers work both ways."

So you're saying the Bobcat was tracking the bullet as it sped towards him and flinched ?

From directly in front of the bullet you would see the corona of the flare. But of course you'd be directly in front of a shot bullet. And while that might help your buddies locate the shooter, it's probably not helping your situation any.

Well then i am convinced that using tracers also gives the enemy (those that have guns as well, and not a bobcat) can determine where the shots are coming from, making for a target (or general area) of the shooter. One RPG(??) should then take care of the first shooter???/