Yellow | "box Truck"

Dokman , I'm not saying I haven't done my share of stupid/shouldn't have been tried deliveries. I have. And more than my share. And apparently gotten lucky. Doesnt mean anyone should suggest others should try it too. Especially when you have a Union! Accidents can cost a driver his job, and ruin that driver's family's lifelong plans. Dont be preaching for someone to be stupid and reckless.

Freight has to move one way or another and they are NOT willing to offer premium pay to attract new drivers so they will have to do box trucks & sub-contracting with P.T.S. trucking companies and expect more non-speaking English drivers coming on board too , as ALL trucking companies just don't get it about treating drivers well & pay scales .......................

Wong, my box truck co-driver understood English very well thank you. You shouldn't pre-judge.

And by the way, I loved those "box truck" residential deliveries back in the 1980's. The housewives at home during the day when their husbands were at work were very appreciative of the helpful truck driver's efforts to deliver their merchandise. Thank goodness there was no cell phone video capability back then! :bgroovy:

ZHWQP9g.jpg

Wong, my box truck co-driver understood English very well thank you. You shouldn't pre-judge.

And by the way, I loved those "box truck" residential deliveries back in the 1980's. The housewives at home during the day when their husbands were at work were very appreciative of the helpful truck driver's efforts to deliver their merchandise. Thank goodness there was no cell phone video capability back then! :bgroovy:

ZHWQP9g.jpg
Delivering doggy style!:6817: :732: :hide: :hysterical:

ZHWQP9g.jpg

In those days, service was the game!

ZHWQP9g.jpg
Well that's great that your co-driver understood English & didn't wear a Towel on his head some drivers do now days , but NOT to pre-judge and what was his name ??

Small pup and single axle will go anywhere a box truck can and more.
I get stops all day that say must be on pup or short trailer, on a 48 or 53 and get them off.
Mindset not equipment.
That’s is why we are in trouble.
We are our own worst enemies.
Totally agree with this. This whole thread is the reason why YRC is in the process of collapse that it's in. YRC employees have forgotten that trucking, like it or not, is a SERVICE INDUSTRY. The service industry comes with one thing in mind and that's to please the customer. That's it. If you have that mindset, YRC will not only survive but thrive. But since so many of you - I'd say a majority - have forgotten this one thing, you can see the results: you're being left behind.
And if you don't remember that one thing and they finally close the doors - and they will - you'll have to work where SERVICE is mandated or you're out.
Funny thing is... service is so rewarding in so many ways. A strong company is only the tip of the iceberg.

Totally agree with this. This whole thread is the reason why YRC is in the process of collapse that it's in. YRC employees have forgotten that trucking, like it or not, is a SERVICE INDUSTRY. The service industry comes with one thing in mind and that's to please the customer. That's it. If you have that mindset, YRC will not only survive but thrive. But since so many of you - I'd say a majority - have forgotten this one thing, you can see the results: you're being left behind.
And if you don't remember that one thing and they finally close the doors - and they will - you'll have to work where SERVICE is mandated or you're out.
Funny thing is... service is so rewarding in so many ways. A strong company is only the tip of the iceberg.
So you really think that a car dealer will think your giving outstanding service when you come snaking through their lot with a 53? Then it's great service when you and the parts guy muscle a 150 lb engine core into the back, because you don't have a liftgate? Or trimming trees on that residential street with your long box, looking for the house so you can drop off a 40 lb spa cover. In the mean time the box truck is piddling around with volume shots in industrial parks . That is service all right.

I'm a guest in this thread, but I feel one thing needs to be added here. You are correct, we are in a service industry. However, my company (R&L) and YRC and other LTL's are attempting to offer a service but have not provided the tools to provide said service. A box truck does not make an LTL outfit a home delivery final mile service. Where are the extra bodies on the trucks? Appliance dollies, floor runners, four wheel dollies, moving pads, lawn sheets, are all nonexistent as far as I can tell. I spent a short time in the household goods sector with a United Van Lines agency and I know what it takes to accomplish what these LTL's are trying to do. A box truck and a pallet jack ain't gonna cut it. If they want to pursue this stuff they have to give us the means to do it. Home delivery via LTL is a square peg in a round hole. You may be able to force it depending on the size of the peg and hole but it's not going to look good or perform well in the end.

I'm a guest in this thread, but I feel one thing needs to be added here. You are correct, we are in a service industry. However, my company (R&L) and YRC and other LTL's are attempting to offer a service but have not provided the tools to provide said service. A box truck does not make an LTL outfit a home delivery final mile service. Where are the extra bodies on the trucks? Appliance dollies, floor runners, four wheel dollies, moving pads, lawn sheets, are all nonexistent as far as I can tell. I spent a short time in the household goods sector with a United Van Lines agency and I know what it takes to accomplish what these LTL's are trying to do. A box truck and a pallet jack ain't gonna cut it. If they want to pursue this stuff they have to give us the means to do it. Home delivery via LTL is a square peg in a round hole. You may be able to force it depending on the size of the peg and hole but it's not going to look good or perform well in the end.
One Christmas Season Preston sent me out with a 400 lbs Magnavox TV to an apartment complex. The dispatcher felt sorry for me (I was low senior man that shift) and he put it on the lift gate. (Normally wouldn’t, that would bill extra charges). I got there, and the young lady told me it went in her upstairs bedroom. She was bragging that her Dad worked for Magnavox, and she saved $1000 by not buying it thru HH Gregg. I told her that normally it would be an end of the trailer delivery, but I would two-wheel it into the apartment door, but no further. She wasn’t happy, and asked what to do from there? My recommendation was that she sign it refused/return to shipper, and go buy it from HHGregg. Anyway, I two-wheeled it to the door, and it was as wide as the door, and too long to turn because of a stairway where you either went up, or went down, and the tv wouldn’t come inside. She told me to leave it, and she had her boyfriend coming to finish the job. She signed, and , as I left- it was snowing- with her expensive tv sitting outside on the porch....

One Christmas Season Preston sent me out with a 400 lbs Magnavox TV to an apartment complex. The dispatcher felt sorry for me (I was low senior man that shift) and he put it on the lift gate. (Normally wouldn’t, that would bill extra charges). I got there, and the young lady told me it went in her upstairs bedroom. She was bragging that her Dad worked for Magnavox, and she saved $1000 by not buying it thru HH Gregg. I told her that normally it would be an end of the trailer delivery, but I would two-wheel it into the apartment door, but no further. She wasn’t happy, and asked what to do from there? My recommendation was that she sign it refused/return to shipper, and go buy it from HHGregg. Anyway, I two-wheeled it to the door, and it was as wide as the door, and too long to turn because of a stairway where you either went up, or went down, and the tv wouldn’t come inside. She told me to leave it, and she had her boyfriend coming to finish the job. She signed, and , as I left- it was snowing- with her expensive tv sitting outside on the porch....
Sums it up perfectly. I do what I can for residentials and the like, but as I've said before, I'm not going to blow up my knees, back, shoulders , etc. or loose my safety bonus to make a delivery where the receiver is not prepared to accommodate my equipment and ability or equipped to do it themselves.

Sums it up perfectly. I do what I can for residentials and the like, but as I've said before, I'm not going to blow up my knees, back, shoulders , etc. or loose my safety bonus to make a delivery where the receiver is not prepared to accommodate my equipment and ability or equipped to do it themselves.
I’ve had deliveries like that plenty of times. Especially ones where it’s long driveways with loose dogs and I’m supposed to leave it if there’s a signed note authorizing it. At that point, there’ll be a note, even if I have to write it myself!

I’ve had deliveries like that plenty of times. Especially ones where it’s long driveways with loose dogs and I’m supposed to leave it if there’s a signed note authorizing it. At that point, there’ll be a note, even if I have to write it myself!

I've heard, if the undertaker is running behind, Jimmy will pitch in and help dig a grave.

I often will leave the freight if it is ppd in good neighborhood.I did get burned on one this past spring though. I took a delivery to a flooring store from another driver because the area was tore up with construction, but I happened to live in the same little town and knew how to get in there.I liftgate the skid across a parking lot and drop it by the door of this store. I had tried calling guy before hand but he didn't answer, but his website said he'd be there by 12:00. I figured it be alright to sit by his door for a little bit so I leave it. I drive by the store on my way home that night, and the skid is still sitting there and it's starting to rain. I tell the wife that I'm going to go over there and take the product and put it in my car so nobody takes it. She says leave it alone, theyll think you're stealing it. So I throw a tarp over to keep the rain off and leave it . Go by the next morning on my way to work it's still sitting there. Told my dispatcher situation and I said I'm going to go pick that skid up because I don't think the guys around. I pick the pallet up and tell the Osd girl what happened. The girl who does the appointments says" oh that guy, we can never get a hold of him, we often sent his stuff back to the shipper". Learned my lesson always make contact with someone before leaving it lol.