SEFL | Box trucks

Supposedly no p&d drivers will be kept at home while using the cheaper box truck labor, but I've also got sefl offering me swampland on the cheap in southern arizona
Well they're hiring dock workers to drive the straight trucks. And from what I've heard, the straight truck will always have a run.

Since the company values us completely, we will not get rotated off while cheaper labor is running the box truck freight right?
Well what would they do with the box truck guys? Move them back to the dock while the P&D runs the box truck? I doubt it, that seems like a circus.

Doesn't matter to me what they do with box truck guys as long as I'm not given a day off with no pay because the freight I could've run was dished off on cheaper labor.

Doesn't matter to me what they do with box truck guys as long as I'm not given a day off with no pay because the freight I could've run was dished off on cheaper labor.
Well I doubt that'll be the case. Right now if there's no runs for our guys they can work the dock, but our dock is actually over staffed at the moment. Plus, they will mostly likely try to keep P&D drivers out of the box trucks just like they do off the dock due to pay and dock efficiency.

You have more faith in the integrity of our leadership than I do. I've seen too much number lust from leadership over-ruling our quality pyramid to think that the box trucks won't be used against p&d drivers
Oh I'm with you on that, I believe they'll take every bit of hand freight they can off P&D and put it on the box truck. Which they say will help, but like you said, when there's no P&D runs, the box truck will probably still be moving. I've also heard about them maybe doing small pick ups. It sounds like they're able to lower their costs by getting P&D drivers back to the terminal earlier. Because essientially these box truck loads are coming straight off P&D guys preexisting runs. I've worked for a LTL who used box trucks, and they would run while P&D guys didn't sometimes. Box trucks always had a run.

You
And so it begins.....
you guys are over thinking crap as usual at red and black I was there for 11 years we had 2 box trucks in Raleigh and at the time they was going to pay the person they hired 14$ a hour but had to have a class B license due to hazmat guess what they never hired anyone then they loaded every dang house stop and high rise being hand freight on them guys just brought half the crap back so need less to say the 2 box trucks or as we called them parade trucks just sat on the yard

You

you guys are over thinking crap as usual at red and black I was there for 11 years we had 2 box trucks in Raleigh and at the time they was going to pay the person they hired 14$ a hour but had to have a class B license due to hazmat guess what they never hired anyone then they loaded every dang house stop and high rise being hand freight on them guys just brought half the crap back so need less to say the 2 box trucks or as we called them parade trucks just sat on the yard
Well they just filled 2 spots here. Non CDL, around $17 an hour. Said the truck will run everyday, 20+ deliveries. May have pick ups if needed.

Well they just filled 2 spots here. Non CDL, around $17 an hour. Said the truck will run everyday, 20+ deliveries. May have pick ups if needed.
Super trucker doesn't know what he's talking about anyway because I personally drove one of those straight jobs at least twice a week.

What I want to know is how they plan on getting 20+ stops on that truck, it's not big enough. Most of the time I couldn't get more than 7-8 on a pup when I worked the city, maybe 20 on a 48' but that's pushing it

Do you honestly think somebody is going to stay there for 17$ a hour working like a slave when they can do the same thing at ups for twice the money

Yea and I drove one also a few times you just want man enough to refuse workload you took it all all you could take plus more

If you look around you might see a lot of the non cdl trucks pay $13-14 per hour, so a $17 starting rate would look good to 21-22 year olds.

If you look around you might see a lot of the non cdl trucks pay $13-14 per hour, so a $17 starting rate would look good to 21-22 year olds.
I agree. I don't know exactly what the rate is for a dock worker, but I would expect that to be the minimum starting pay. Never really thought I'd see Southeastern hiring non CDL drivers. Guess that goes to show you how the driver shortages are affecting them. The up side to all of this is, if you're a city driver maybe there won't be as many hand freight stops on your trailers.