•    Since Adults seem to be in charge again, Truckingboards is back on Twitter @truckingboards

Brandon Says There Is No Supply Chain Crisis

I have worked with guys who have wasted hours of time trying just that....always cracks me up because I think to myself I would rather punch out and go home..
I have always been tempted to try it.

I keep hearing stories of people who can. I just don't know. SMH.

Northern Flash

Big Boy Toys
Premium
Frustrating-Yes. But We all started somewhere/somehow. I had no training. Had to figure it out for myself. I’m pretty sure there were times I held up other drivers as I learned on the job.
True, and I realize that you can be a greenhorn at any age, but this Cuban looking dude had to be over 50 years old. If I was that bad at backing, I'd acknowledge it, and I'd practice backing back in the yard. I'm not in to embarrassing myself in front of my peers.

Northern Flash

Big Boy Toys
Premium
You should see how long it takes me to back in a set of doubles!
Ya, good luck with that. It's nearly impossible to back up a set of wiggle wagons with any accuracy. I did see one guy back a set of wiggle wagons into a dock one time. He had to pull forward about four or five times. It would take me forever, and possibly NEVER. When I saw the guy in the break room later, I told him how impressed I was and how I'd never seen that done before.
I was really good at backing up gravel trains and B-Trains years ago, but they are nothing like a set of wiggle wagons because the wiggle wagon dollies jackknife so quick that you can't catch back up with them. Not to mention, the wiggle wagons don't have a dolly lock, therefore they have three pivot points versus two.

Northern Flash

Big Boy Toys
Premium
Back in the day when Brandon was a Billy Big Rigger, he could back a set of wiggle wagons into a dock on the first try. North Korea's Kim Jong Un also had several hole in ones the first time he golfed.
:grin:

FJB

Toby

I live Here
Frustrating-Yes. But We all started somewhere/somehow. I had no training. Had to figure it out for myself. I’m pretty sure there were times I held up other drivers as I learned on the job.
Difference is you practiced, improved, and mastered the art over time. I see some daily that never will

Michigan Bill

I live Here
Ya, good luck with that. It's nearly impossible to back up a set of wiggle wagons with any accuracy. I did see one guy back a set of wiggle wagons into a dock one time. He had to pull forward about four or five times. It would take me forever, and possibly NEVER. When I saw the guy in the break room later, I told him how impressed I was and how I'd never seen that done before.
I was really good at backing up gravel trains and B-Trains years ago, but they are nothing like a set of wiggle wagons because the wiggle wagon dollies jackknife so quick that you can't catch back up with them. Not to mention, the wiggle wagons don't have a dolly lock, therefore they have three pivot points versus two.
A buddy of mine let me try his gravel train one time, I had only been driving for a year, I couldn't do it.

We have guys that run b trains out of our Gary yard, I'd like to get another chance eventually. Those guys whip them around like nothing.

Northern Flash

Big Boy Toys
Premium
A buddy of mine let me try his gravel train one time, I had only been driving for a year, I couldn't do it.

We have guys that run b trains out of our Gary yard, I'd like to get another chance eventually. Those guys whip them around like nothing.
Two days after graduating high school I was pulling a gravel train down by Jackson, Michigan. And my dad wasn't real go about "training", trust me. He must have figured that since I had grown up around them I should be good at driving them automatically. :duh:

Gravel trains and B-trains aren't too difficult to get used to, especially when you have to back them up constantly.

Michigan Bill

I live Here
Two days after graduating high school I was pulling a gravel train down by Jackson, Michigan. And my dad wasn't real go about "training", trust me. He must have figured that since I had grown up around them I should be good at driving them automatically. :duh:

Gravel trains and B-trains aren't too difficult to get used to, especially when you have to back them up constantly.
Lol, that's the trucking way!" Just go do it, you saw me do it, how hard can it be?"

I've watched some guys that were very impressive with tight backups around the mills with the b trains. I guess if you really know what you're doing with them, you can really snake them into spots.

Northern Flash

Big Boy Toys
Premium
Lol, that's the trucking way!" Just go do it, you saw me do it, how hard can it be?"

I've watched some guys that were very impressive with tight backups around the mills with the b trains. I guess if you really know what you're doing with them, you can really snake them into spots.
My dad was truly amazing at backing up trains. He's still alive, thank God, but I've got some stories about his backing skills that I'm prepared to relay when honoring his life at his funeral. (Which will hopefully be a long time from now.) After a few years pulling both types of trains, I thought I was at legendary status (I was in my own mind) but there was several times when I'd have to give up on getting the back trailer into a really tight spot or backing them in at a ninety degree angle. The old man would have to come put me in my place by getting it done in short order.
:notworthy:

Toby

I live Here

My old man threw his jacket over the driver mirror because I wouldn’t look at the passenger side enough. Had to learn to back in on that side fast

Northern Flash

Big Boy Toys
Premium
Well I guess you can call it training, the first time he had me drive we were out west and he pulled over and said it’s your turn. I grinded each and every gear, I thought he was going to loose his voice yelling at me
Yep. We had mostly 13 speeds back then. I remember not being able to find a gear, grinding them for what seemed like minutes, then my dad finally reaching over from the passenger seat to find the hole for me. That was some humbling stuff.

Toby

I live Here
Flash did your terminal still have any of the old Whites with air assist steering when you first started? We had a few my first year there and 10%’rd always got those. I had to back into docks with that thing and would loose all air pressure.

You learned real fast to get it set up right

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But we have to pay the server bill every month. 

Please disable your AdBlocker.

For Advertisement Free Viewing,Login and select "Account Upgrades" by clicking on your name at the top right of the page.

I've Disabled AdBlock