•    Since Adults seem to be in charge again, Truckingboards is back on Twitter @truckingboards

Brandon Says There Is No Supply Chain Crisis

Toby

I live Here
Yep. We had mostly 13 speeds back then. I remember not being able to find a gear, grinding them for what seemed like minutes, then my dad finally reaching over from the passenger seat to find the hole for me. That was some humbling stuff.
Yep that’s what I learned on as well. My last truck and the new Pete I bought are both 13’s I prefer them over 10’s now

Northern Flash

Big Boy Toys
Premium
Flash did your terminal still have any of the old Whites with air assist steering when you first started? We had a few my first year there and 10%’rd always got those. I had to back into docks with that thing and would loose all air pressure.

You learned real fast to get it set up right
Yep. We had a few. Then when Red Star shut their doors we got a bunch of theirs also. Including their junk trailers.

* I think that it was Red Star and/or Duggan.

My memories of those days is getting clouded since I no longer even think about that place.

Toby

I live Here
Yep. We had a few. Then when Red Star shut their doors we got a bunch of theirs also. Including their junk trailers.

* I think that it was Red Star and/or Duggan.

My memories of those days is getting clouded since I no longer even think about that place.
Red star was first, those trailers were like tanks. The doors were all crap and the landing gears seemed like they were never serviced. When Dugan went out is when we started to get the liftgate 40’s. The 39 series of numbers. The tractors from Dugan weren’t as bad as the ones we got from Red Star but most of Dugan were single axels.

Right around that same time was when they were fazzing out the Fords, I liked the old Fords and hated the Whites. With the Whites you could break a hand if you got it caught between the wheel and the dash and with air assist it would snap back on you/

You remember the 83 series deck trailers? I was almost knocked out by one of those decks trying to put it back up on the wall.

Toby

I live Here
That’s back when our terminal would do between 1300-1600 bills a night and it would actually be moved and delivered next and two day. Heck when I left they thought 650-700 a night was busy. We didn’t have expedited because all freight was floor loaded and moved. Then the call trailer games started.

Northern Flash

Big Boy Toys
Premium
You remember the 83 series deck trailers? I was almost knocked out by one of those decks trying to put it back up on the wall.
Oh yes. We had a guy who didn't properly latch the deck where it belonged, and it came down and totally knocked him unconscious. Those things were a comp case waiting to happen.

pltjack

Retired!
Premium
That’s back when our terminal would do between 1300-1600 bills a night and it would actually be moved and delivered next and two day. Heck when I left they thought 650-700 a night was busy. We didn’t have expedited because all freight was floor loaded and moved. Then the call trailer games started.
Sounds like Holland?
XPO here, (CCX).
Now happily Retired.

Toby

I live Here
Oh yes. We had a guy who didn't properly latch the deck where it belonged, and it came down and totally knocked him unconscious. Those things were a comp case waiting to happen.
They would bounce free if you hit a bump hard enough and didn’t secure it proper. I can’t believe there weren’t more claims made those things were terrible.

Toby

I live Here
It used to be the best LTL gig.
When you said floor loaded and out the door, I figured it was Holand.
That was how all the loads were set back then, we had a low OR and even lower claims rate then just about anyone else. It didn’t really start changing until they decided that we would try servicing the west coast and yellow buying us.

There were some good carriers back then, most are in the dust bin now like Preston, CCX, Jevic, CF and so many more. Guys had a different mentality as well and we all got along with each other. The mid 2000’s when the flip flop invasion began is when you really seen a shift overall and skills diminish

Toby

I live Here
Ya, back before YRCW got their hands around our neck.
Never high and tight or velocity. That’s when we started to see so much damaged freight. And the lost call trailers games. Rich (the skull) set that up and he kept getting promoted.

Toby

I live Here
That was how all the loads were set back then, we had a low OR and even lower claims rate then just about anyone else. It didn’t really start changing until they decided that we would try servicing the west coast and yellow buying us.

There were some good carriers back then, most are in the dust bin now like Preston, CCX, Jevic, CF and so many more. Guys had a different mentality as well and we all got along with each other. The mid 2000’s when the flip flop invasion began is when you really seen a shift overall and skills diminish
Now you see guys at stops jump out of trucks with flip flops and cloths like they were hanging out on the couch all day and that’s not just road drivers. It’s a shame I would never ever consider working without a pair of boots!

pltjack

Retired!
Premium
Never high and tight or velocity. That’s when we started to see so much damaged freight. And the lost call trailers games. Rich (the skull) set that up and he kept getting promoted.
What is the lost call trailer game?

Northern Flash

Big Boy Toys
Premium
Now you see guys at stops jump out of trucks with flip flops and cloths like they were hanging out on the couch all day and that’s not just road drivers. It’s a shame I would never ever consider working without a pair of boots!
There was a conversation about that on the CB in the city Southeast of me just this week. Guys were defending themselves wearing sweat pants and sandals in the truck. They claimed that they only dressed like that during their "driving days", and that they dressed appropriately when they were on their "delivery day". I didn't get into the conversation, but I was just shaking my head. I'm the same guy that used to get teased about whether I was going golfing or going to peddle freight because of my nice polo shirt and pleated shorts that I wore to peddle. I guess that I have enough respect for myself and my employer to look good to the customers and those people out in public, even if it's just at a truck stop.

Northern Flash

Big Boy Toys
Premium
They would dump freight in “call trailers” if they were returned from delivery. The freight would get lost out there. Same with freight picked up but wouldn’t be moved. It was all a numbers game.
We called them "storage trailers" and you're correct, they got lost in the shuffle sometimes, until the customer called and asked where the hell is my freight? Then mgt. pushed the panic button.

Toby

I live Here
There was a conversation about that on the CB in the city Southeast of me just this week. Guys were defending themselves wearing sweat pants and sandals in the truck. They claimed that they only dressed like that during their "driving days", and that they dressed appropriately when they were on their "delivery day". I didn't get into the conversation, but I was just shaking my head. I'm the same guy that used to get teased about whether I was going golfing or going to peddle freight because of my nice polo shirt and pleated shorts that I wore to peddle. I guess that I have enough respect for myself and my employer to look good to the customers and those people out in public, even if it's just at a truck stop.
Taking pride in one’s appearance- what a concept

Michigan Bill

I live Here
I don't get the comfort argument, since when have Jean's and work boots been that uncomfortable?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But we have to pay the server bill every month. 

Please disable your AdBlocker.

For Advertisement Free Viewing,Login and select "Account Upgrades" by clicking on your name at the top right of the page.

I've Disabled AdBlock