FedEx Freight | Breaking down sets

ch 4 news

TB Lurker
Credits
Ok I got a question and I don't know if it has been covered and I'm not trying to ruffle feathers. Do road drivers,Line haul,Shuttle drivers what have you not get paid to break down there sets and put up their trailers at dark terminals or end of the line centers? I work at one and everyday we have to put up trailers that above mentioned drivers leave on the yard. When i worked at freight you would have got a nasty letter if you left trailers sitting out on the yard not put in their proper spot and probably pulled in on the rug to tell you what an awful person you are as well.

You get paid half hour to make up the set and another half hour to break it down. At dark terminals we put them on the dock and then make a up the return set. If i get two runs a night I get 4 hooks and 4 drops plus the mileage. Had a 524 mile run and 8 hooksthe other night. Sometimes it pays to be on the extra board.

We have some drivers that have not had the watkins beat out of them yet. Also the trailers may have been dropped by contractors and we all know how they compliment the company. :poke:

[quote author=Otown link=topic=81669.msg843193#msg843193 date=1278166363]
Some location's like the Orlando FL National terminal makes the Hostler break down all the sets.
[/quote]

That's the way it should be.
Sets should be built by the hostlers, too.
The ideal situation would be that you drop your set, hook to another one, and then boogie on down the line.

Yeh ch 4, I think this has been covered and whined about before. If a driver leaves a set , they were probably told to. Or nobody told them to break it down. I don't know anybody that would turn down $11 bucks for 10 minutes worth of work. The only time its a hassle is when there's a foot of snow on the ground and you still get paid for it. And it's July!!! Being an ex Watkins contractor, I take offense to the comment that "it must/might be a contractor", that did it. No wait, that was too nice! Kiss my -ss, STUPID :biglaugh: I sure hope you enjoy your 3 day holiday. I'm sure there are quite a few company drivers and contractors out there working, trying to make ends meet.

[quote author=Hurricane64 link=topic=81669.msg843213#msg843213 date=1278172143]
Yeh ch 4, I think this has been covered and whined about before. If a driver leaves a set , they were probably told to. Or nobody told them to break it down. I don't know anybody that would turn down $11 bucks for 10 minutes worth of work. The only time its a hassle is when there's a foot of snow on the ground and you still get paid for it. And it's July!!! Being an ex Watkins contractor, I take offense to the comment that "it must/might be a contractor", that did it. No wait, that was too nice! Kiss my -ss, STUPID :biglaugh: I sure hope you enjoy your 3 day holiday. I'm sure there are quite a few company drivers and contractors out there working, trying to make ends meet.
[/quote] do not hold your breath take it easy u might stroke out

[quote author=Mike Varnco link=topic=81669.msg843205#msg843205 date=1278170528]
The ideal situation would be that you drop your set, hook to another one, and then boogie on down the line.
[/quote]

No that's not the way it should be and hostlers breaking/building sets is not the ideal situation to me at all. I'll take all the drop/hooks I can get. I like the exercise and the quick $'s. Why give that gravy away? Besides that, I feel better about the equipment if I hook it myself.

[quote author=Kings disciple link=topic=81669.msg843289#msg843289 date=1278181560]
[/quote]

No that's not the way it should be and hostlers breaking/building sets is not the ideal situation to me at all. I'll take all the drop/hooks I can get. I like the exercise and the quick $'s. Why give that gravy away? Besides that, I feel better about the equipment if I hook it myself.
[/quote]true :shift:

I am going to enjoy my 3 day weekend HC64 also I wllbe enjoying 10 days of my 4weeks of paid vacation in 5 days. Besides most of the contractors that come thru DTX look like slobs, gym shorts shower shoes and a fdx shirt. or a tank top with fdx ex shorts and sandles. let us not forget the ones that you can smell before you can see them.Have a great holiday I will be :banana: :stir:

[quote author=ch 4 news link=topic=81669.msg843028#msg843028 date=1278117819]
Ok I got a question and I don't know if it has been covered and I'm not trying to ruffle feathers. Do road drivers,Line haul,Shuttle drivers what have you not get paid to break down there sets and put up their trailers at dark terminals or end of the line centers? I work at one and everyday we have to put up trailers that above mentioned drivers leave on the yard. When i worked at freight you would have got a nasty letter if you left trailers sitting out on the yard not put in their proper spot and probably pulled in on the rug to tell you what an awful person you are as well.
[/quote] I'm with you on this, I liked the way Freight did it much better. Yard was much neater, and you didn't have to break a set just to get an empty or a dolly, finding dolly's weren't a problem. I also wish they'd assign parking spots for tractors like freight, so I didn't have to spend a half hour walking all over the damn place to find a truck.

Hey JB, Iwas almost impressed :iamnotworthy:with your 4 week vacation. :biglaugh: As far as the contractors go, if they don't want to look like professionals, I would hope that the management at your barn would say something to them. We get wrote up if our shirts aren't tucked in. :fart: And, I agree with you on the bo , there is no excuse. Put a memo up, in 6 different languages, " to show your diversity, "that you must have at least 3 showers this week to enter this facility". :tribe: Hey JB, the guys at your barn want to know when ru retiring :biglaugh:

Ok so from what I've read you do get paid to break down your set and put the trailers up and then rebuild a set and get on out of there. I was just wondering. I don't mind helping a fella( or lady) out if I'm hostling on the yard,but to just leave the trailers sitting out there knowing someone else will have to put them up seems just lazy to me. Thanks for the input

[quote author=ch 4 news link=topic=81669.msg843672#msg843672 date=1278273360]
Ok so from what I've read you do get paid to break down your set and put the trailers up and then rebuild a set and get on out of there. I was just wondering. I don't mind helping a fella( or lady) out if I'm hostling on the yard,but to just leave the trailers sitting out there knowing someone else will have to put them up seems just lazy to me. Thanks for the input
[/quote] for some it's not laziness, it's just being unable.

[quote author=Otown link=topic=81669.msg843193#msg843193 date=1278166363]
Some location's like the Orlando FL National terminal makes the Hostler break down all the sets.
[/quote]

[/quote]
"Sets should be built by the hostlers, too."

I disagree I want the hook money AND I want to know that the set is assembled correctly!