ABF | BREAKING NEWS ; ABF Freight System, Inc. Files Legal Actions Against Teamsters, YRCW

As long as YRC goes first, I could care less. I had a job when I took this one and have not been without a job for longer than 3 days since I was 17 years old.And I'm proud that I haven't had to "yessa massah" at any of them

Yup.the Teamster brotherhood is gone and by your statement I guess it's everyone for themselves.

What difference would it make if by some chance they won,YRC would be gone and ABF would still be the HIGHEST cost carrier out there and would be asking you for concessions.Even if they win you lose!

WRONG! The simple laws of supply and demand would take place. With demand for transportation would remain the same the supply of trucks to move the freight would diminish drastically and the prices would increase. Non-profitable freight, which is currently battled over for the purpose of filling trucks would cease and even the ugliest freight would become profitable.

BTW, read the thread on ABF's third quarter results. Even at a major cost disadvantage ABF does not do too badly.

WRONG! The simple laws of supply and demand would take place. With demand for transportation would remain the same the supply of trucks to move the freight would diminish drastically and the prices would increase. Non-profitable freight, which is currently battled over for the purpose of filling trucks would cease and even the ugliest freight would become profitable.

BTW, read the thread on ABF's third quarter results. Even at a major cost disadvantage ABF does not do too badly.

YRC's market share is down to about 17%
FedEx is ever 15%.....with plenty of capacity
Conway over 10% and growing
UPSF,OLd dominion,R&L,and plenty of others to take up the slack.......it's the nature of this industry,there will always be over capacity.

YRC's market share is down to about 17%
FedEx is ever 15%.....with plenty of capacity
Conway over 10% and growing
UPSF,OLd dominion,R&L,and plenty of others to take up the slack.......it's the nature of this industry,there will always be over capacity.
Not sure I agree with the statement that "there will always be over capacity". There wasn't over capacity 4 to 5 years ago when the economy was booming. Trucking companies couldn't hire enough competent drivers or get trucks delivered fast enough. The reason there is over capacity now is the Great Recession and the anemic pace of growth of employment and of the general economy... If YRCW were to go down (not advocating for that at all, just making an observation) the market forces would dictate a rise in rates. This wouldn't necessarily be a boon to all the remaining carriers, since the ones that are not operating way below their capacity would incur the costs related to hiring and training new employees and acquiring new equipment. Some companies could do worse by trying to take on too much new freight without being ready. Losses from damages could skyrocket and service could suffer. People wishing for the demise of YRCW might want to be careful what they wish for...

:soapbox:

Getting off soapbox now...