Pitt-Ohio | Brian McGuire, VP of Human Resources, On The Driver Shortage and Apprenticeship Program

Young people don't want to do these jobs. They want to work 9 to 5 weekends off plus there is still this bad stigma stereotypes of being a truck driver hard time dating. I have to go to bars with my paystub just to get women to go home with me they think drivers don't make good money.

Young people don't want to do these jobs....
We have a lot of new, young faces on the dock at my terminal but working an LTL dock is a lot harder than what many new to the industry realize. Then again, that’s why the pay and benefits are what they are for an inexperienced trainee. As for your dating issue, the women that need to see your paystub first are the ones to avoid in my opinion.

You are not going to get young ones to function properly in some situations such as parts of Nevada. That truck will be parked while the place is rocking. At that young age dating and so on is just more pressure against the pitiful wages tossed at the newbie.

I started it at 21. That was in some situations too young. Anything younger than that will simply be taken advantage of in more dangerous places like Hunts Point in NYC or Memphis etc.

Believe it or not there is a sort of a dark side to the industry and its going to taken in the tender 18 year old very easily. Not to mention being too young to get access into certain places that require 21 and over.

If a Female is concerned about money that's the end of our situation in dating so to speak. Ive also run into females who needed a man with them and being gone isn't it.

The Military can deal with the 18's well enough that's not the problem. But cut a youngster loose with a 200,000 rig and god only knows whats in the trailer? Pay him 250 a week? No its not going to work. Its the ultimate in cost cutting by motor carriers.

We have a lot of new, young faces on the dock at my terminal but working an LTL dock is a lot harder than what many new to the industry realize. Then again, that’s why the pay and benefits are what they are for an inexperienced trainee. As for your dating issue, the women that need to see your paystub first are the ones to avoid in my opinion.
Make more money and just find a hooker

As enthusiastic as he was, I think Marty Griffin might’ve signed in after the interview. https://www.audacy.com/kdkaradio/news/local/get-marty-hundreds-of-high-paying-jobs-are-available
As enthusiastic as he was, I think Marty Griffin might’ve signed in after the interview. https://www.audacy.com/kdkaradio/news/local/get-marty-hundreds-of-high-paying-jobs-are-available
Hopefully Marty talks some people into driving. It's crazy how we need drivers so badly. And people are trying to solve it with computer operated trucks

Hiring requirements? The last time I interviewed at Roadway they had me do one little thing.

Lift a 5 gallon bucket with metal inside to the top above the head.

See how that goes. Fit to clock that suit with the thing and that was almost 40 years ago.