Central Transport | Bring back the 5%,raises and 401k match?

hoss73

TB Lurker
Credits
I dont know about anyone else but we have freight hanging off the dock.A nearby competitor has significantly less freight,pay nothing for insurance,make more money per hour and have much,much better equipment.Im not saying I want to work there just that it doesn't add up to me.Are we hauling this freight for nothing,are we that mismanaged or just riding the shirtail of a bad economy for all its worth?

I dont know about anyone else but we have freight hanging off the dock.A nearby competitor has significantly less freight,pay nothing for insurance,make more money per hour and have much,much better equipment.Im not saying I want to work there just that it doesn't add up to me.Are we hauling this freight for nothing,are we that mismanaged or just riding the shirtail of a bad economy for all its worth?

Yeah you guys are hauling it for nothing. I am in sales for another LTL carrier, and in my area Vitran is so low priced it don't make sense. I even have a friend that is a driver for Vitran, and he notices how low the prices are. You can't keep that up. And you are right about the economy, that is why you have so much freight, cause right now everything is about price---and no service. So with the Low Low prices that is why you see all the freight.

Yeah you guys are hauling it for nothing. I am in sales for another LTL carrier, and in my area Vitran is so low priced it don't make sense. I even have a friend that is a driver for Vitran, and he notices how low the prices are. You can't keep that up. And you are right about the economy, that is why you have so much freight, cause right now everything is about price---and no service. So with the Low Low prices that is why you see all the freight.
Yep. I see freight bills giving up to 83% discount. Now with Ward dropping their fuel surcharge, it will cause Vitran/Pjax to look to cut more to stay in competition. Where to cut? Drivers are maxed out on hours, mechanics are stripped to the bone on hours, staff, and parts. I don't mind running B#$% to the wall occasionally, like Holidays,etc. but I do have a life outside this job...:nutkick:

As you know the discount depends on the rate base... A Vitr rate base @83% would be just as much as a Roadway 94 @72. And to fill a pup with cheap freight vs an mty trailer, you still make a few $$$... It's all depends on the lane, you know that!

We're here for the job, not the money and to accommodate customers through these hard times. Maybe they'll remember it when times get better and refer Vitran to other businesses.:popcorn:

We're here for the job, not the money and to accommodate customers through these hard times. Maybe they'll remember it when times get better and refer Vitran to other businesses.:popcorn:
Click those ruby heels three times, this ain't Kansas anymore.
Service? Do you mean the leaking trailers ? What people remember is 'cheap', and that you get what you pay for. Cutting rate to the bone to get business lasts only so long. It's a gamble based on a projection of when the economy uptick will occur. IE: right place at the right time.

Click those ruby heels three times, this ain't Kansas anymore.
Service? Do you mean the leaking trailers ? What people remember is 'cheap', and that you get what you pay for. Cutting rate to the bone to get business lasts only so long. It's a gamble based on a projection of when the economy uptick will occur. IE: right place at the right time.

Time will tell and as well all know, we sometimes get lousy service by paying top dollar.:popcorn: Btw, my ruby heels are broke:17:

The real reason there is so much freight is that the shipper has to ship twice as much because we damage so much of it. HA HA HA