FedEx Freight | Bunch of clowns

Breeze, knowing your love for Jiff Lox, I thought that this contract language would interest you.:lmao::lmao::lmao:

5463303D-C59E-483A-9590-02E6A8879A93.md.jpg
They've come a long way since my time.
We never had a tractor with a pintle hook, never had a jiff with a crank down leg,
never had a handle to slide the 5th wheel.
We did always have access to a phone.
Now my training was a horse of a different color.
I came in off a trip, the safety man said come on out here, we're going to teach you how to hook these things.
I asked if I was to stay on this trip card or hit a new one.
He said you're not going to be on the clock.
I told him the first time I get one, I'll learn on your dime, and went home.
The first time I got one was in Greensboro, they had a city driver and 2 dock guys hook it while I watched on the clock.
That was my training.
Maybe Big Blue will come on and tell about his training.
We made a lot of delay time waiting for someone to come help with those Bastards.
I beat BRG to the punch!

We never had a tractor with a pintle hook, never had a jiff with a crank down leg,
I came in off a trip, the safety man said come on out here, we're going to teach you how to hook these things.
The first time I got one was in Greensboro, they had a city driver and 2 dock guys hook it while I watched on the clock.
That was my training.
We made a lot of delay time waiting for someone to come help with those Bastards.
I beat BRG to the punch!
Did you always hook off the lead?

That must have been so much harder with Armstrong steering!

Hook to the front trailer, back it up to the jiff, drag the jiff and lead trailer to the rear pup, then back under it. (Against fedex policy)

Hook to the front trailer, back it up to the jiff, drag the jiff and lead trailer to the rear pup, then back under it. (Against fedex policy)
We manhandled the jiff to the rear pup and backed the front trailer to the jiff,
probably the reason for so many workman comp claims.
If we had a 45' we dropped the jiff as close to the rear pup as possible.

That makes sense! I always marveled at thru way doubles drivers in NY hooking sets off 48’ trailers with tandem jifs.

I’ve dabbled in backing hooked sets and hooking while setting up with the jiff behind the lead. That’s only possible with power steering and mirrors that don’t vibrate violently!

That makes sense! I always marveled at thru way doubles drivers in NY hooking sets off 48’ trailers with tandem jifs.

I’ve dabbled in backing hooked sets and hooking while setting up with the jiff behind the lead. That’s only possible with power steering and mirrors that don’t vibrate violently!
I "hook off the lead" as often as possible. I like the challenge and the practice helps me get better at it.

I had exactly 4 minutes of chain securement training out of Joppa Maryland once through tech trans who had a tiny shop and yard there that year.

Mechanic took me to two cement posts in front of the shop bay doors. Tossed a 30 footer chain around both of them. Threw a ratchet binder on the ends and had it tight.

Said to me go into Seagirt and get us those three container chassis stacked and YOU CHAIN THEM DOWN before you bring them back here.

Needless to say two hours and two pathetic loose chains later those three containers arrived with a jingling noise as they were creaking and swaying seeking a way to fall out and mash people.

Between these and a cranky old ******* mack cabover... (All cab just over the steer only) where half the stuff did not work on it... whew. what a drive. A nightmare to be sure.

Its a disgrace. That training. How are they suppose to have professional drivers with that kind of neglect.

At least I had someone pay attention to my rookie ass that day for a few minutes.... what I see today on what they call training is not acceptable as such.

Take a yard bid, after a wet winter you'll be backing those gears like a Nascar driver. Out west we call convertor dollies gears. Jiffs are a totally different animal & they SUCK.

Last edited:

I never hooked a 45'set, I did drop a set and used 40 acres.
Never had much luck backing front pup with a dolly.
We had switchers that backed them like a single trailer with no PS

That was my training.
I beat BRG to the punch!
I get clock time waiting on mirror replacement?

We call them gears here as well. Once you learn to back them, it is the best and easiest job on the yard.
I've heard it was the hardest job on earth!
Once we had 2 yard jockeys broken down in
the shop.
They gave them a tractor with no AC to use for a day.
I thought for sure the world was coming to an end.

Do your,gears, have teeth?
He’s from Arkansa…….of course not….
deliverance GIF

Do your,gears, have teeth?
He’s from Arkansa…….of course not….
deliverance GIF
Actually, those gears do have teeth and will bite if not handled properly. I have had a broken finger on two different occasions from those vicious bastards. The only two times that I was on workers comp in my nearly 28 years at ABF. And by the way Big Dave, just so you know, I have a full set of teeth. But, sometimes I keep them in my pocket.
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Actually, those gears do have teeth and will bite if not handled properly. I have had a broken finger on two different occasions from those vicious bastards. The only two times that I was on workers comp in my nearly 28 years at ABF. And by the way Big Dave, just so you know, I have a full set of teeth. But, sometimes I keep them in my pocket.
:lmao::lmao::lmao:
Not a bad idea SOR, I do know one can eat pudding without teeth.