FedEx Freight | Bunch of clowns

You can’t drop & hook a tail without dropping the converter (per company)? Visitor asking.
It’s against policy supposedly. Of course, the policy makers aren’t the ones tasked with pushing thousand pound dollies across snow covered/rutted/dirt yards.

I’ve never heard of it being enforced, but I’ll take my coaching with a smile on my face if it ever comes to that.

This one right here. I cuss every time I find it. Nobody in management corrects it. Have pointed it out to supervisors, who couldn't care less.
It will continue until someone gets seriously hurt or injured, at which time it's too late. But then there will be safety meetings because, "We had NO idea!"....

Correct. Although they don’t enforce it. (Unless you screw something up)
I was thinking about this a little bit earlier. If you're good enough to back a dolly while it's still hooked to your lead, (1) aren't you the kind of driver they'd want in the truck driver rodeo thing they're talking about so much lately? And (2), what's to stop you from backing all the way up to your kite, getting out, unhooking dolly, then picking it right back up as soon as the dolly hits the pavement and re-hooking? Like, you're technically doing what they want you to do at that point, right?

I know a lot of guys (including myself) who will get as close as possible to an empty kite on a via stop, walk to the dolly, unhook, and push the dolly back to the kite. Which is a lot more likely to result in workplace injuries than "west coast hooking" the damn thing, let's be honest.

I was thinking about this a little bit earlier. If you're good enough to back a dolly while it's still hooked to your lead, (1) aren't you the kind of driver they'd want in the truck driver rodeo thing they're talking about so much lately? And (2), what's to stop you from backing all the way up to your kite, getting out, unhooking dolly, then picking it right back up as soon as the dolly hits the pavement and re-hooking? Like, you're technically doing what they want you to do at that point, right?

I know a lot of guys (including myself) who will get as close as possible to an empty kite on a via stop, walk to the dolly, unhook, and push the dolly back to the kite. Which is a lot more likely to result in workplace injuries than "west coast hooking" the damn thing, let's be honest.

I line it up with the empty and walk it back. It may be further away, but at least I don't have to steer it.

I(1) aren't you the kind of driver they'd want in the truck driver rodeo thing they're talking about so much lately? And (2), what's to stop you from backing all the way up to your kite, getting out, unhooking dolly, then picking it right back up as soon as the dolly hits the pavement and re-hooking? Like, you're technically doing what they want you to do at that point, right?
1) are the rodeos coming back this year?

2) I used to watch guys drive parallel to their kite, drop and spin the dolly into position then set up.

Policy says we aren’t to back the Dolly or a hooked set. Ever. Although, I’ve seen a few who are good enough to back the back trailer into a door…

1) are the rodeos coming back this year?

2) I used to watch guys drive parallel to their kite, drop and spin the dolly into position then set up.

Policy says we aren’t to back the Dolly or a hooked set. Ever. Although, I’ve seen a few who are good enough to back the back trailer into a door…
Yes, but was it the door they were aiming for? :hide: :438:

I've heard of these mythical creatures but never seen them. Best I can do is line that rear trailer up real close to the door if there's space, dropping it so the rear bumper is right near the lines. It looks awkward as hell but is safe and saves a lot of time if you're at a dark EOL on a via.

Bunch Of Clowns indeed & see there IS life after Fed Ex for the Clowns !
sep-2000-ronald-mcdonald-at-the-launch-of-the-new-mcdonalds-in-the-picture-id1040378

Last bid I held had almost daily vias. I would back & hook. Current bid is all breaks & hooks. Get close and manhandle. Have to unhook it anyway. Reminds me of the old sales video here on TB, locking bars for dolly. If I have to get out & lock it, what’s that save me? Side note to a later post: I’ve had to back out of faulty toll gate & a €£## shop. Did what I HAD to do, takes incredible patience.

Hmmm….sounds like a bunch of bitchin and moaning without real evidence. I like how everyone acts like they would know what every best decision for a gigantic freight company would be. I have very few gripes. I just show up STFU and do my job. Get paid well, don’t break down hardly ever, make my gates the overwhelming vast majority of the time. What’s so horrible for all of you ?

Hmmm….sounds like a bunch of bitchin and moaning without real evidence. I like how everyone acts like they would know what every best decision for a gigantic freight company would be. I have very few gripes. I just show up STFU and do my job. Get paid well, don’t break down hardly ever, make my gates the overwhelming vast majority of the time. What’s so horrible for all of you ?
Some people would complain even if they were hung with a new rope. :idunno:

I have 2

1) the health coverage getting more expensive and more complicated

2) The use of purchase trailers when they're not necessary because you have guys getting called off that can do the work.

Other than that, I'm good.

I’ve had to back out of faulty toll gate & a €£## shop. Did what I HAD to do, takes incredible patience.
Watched a guy in a sleeper FXG unit do a little of that "had to" backing with a set of Ground pups at a truck stop one day. It wasn't pretty. Truck stop where we both had meets was closed due to fire, but they left the old exit open. First day it was set up like that, caught him off-guard. He didn't have enough of a running start at the concrete rain trench at the bottom of the exit (now entry/exit) and his drives spun.

He needed to back up several feet and try again, but since he was half coming out of a turn from the highway, it wasn't practical. Plus the dolly was almost immediately jack-knifed under the kite. Felt sorry for the guy.

He finally managed to get it across the gap using the power divider and hitting it at an angle. Good thing, because he was blocking my way out. My 30 was up and I was ready to head home!