ABF | But Purchased Transportation Expense Climbed 35% Higher....

Not Me I LOVE me some relocubes. Thats pretty much all I do. Show me the O/T, ahhh love me them RELOCUBES.

Whether you peddle Freight, sweep the dock, do home deliveries, sleep while waiting for a grocery dock assignment,....
......or deliver Relo-Cubes,.......your hourly rate is exactly the same,......and the more work you do, the more O/T you get.....

The only thing that will cut your income,.....is to start refusing work,...and have the company agree with you.

Once again....Pogo Principle: “We have met the Enemy, and he is Us........”

Whether you peddle Freight, sweep the dock, do home deliveries, sleep while waiting for a grocery dock assignment,....
......or deliver Relo-Cubes,.......your hourly rate is exactly the same,......and the more work you do, the more O/T you get.....

The only thing that will cut your income,.....is to start refusing work,...and have the company agree with you.

Once again....Pogo Principle: “We have met the Enemy, and he is Us........”

I always told everybody to not turn down work even if it was undesirable. I saw that happen & when there was a layoff those who allowed the company to farm out the work were the first to complain. I told them to file on it but the company would win because they allowed the company to contract out the work when there was nobody laid off. Once you let the company establish past practice & not challenge it you will never get it back.

At 050 I retired in January of 2016. At that time we used the flat bed for deliveries of anything that wouldn't fit or might be damaged in a loaded trailer. Sometimes securement of a load could be done better with the flat bed instead of inside a trailer. Some guys complained the trailer should be used for the Relo Cube business only, instead of other freight. I said what does it matter? It is generating revenue or lowering our costs. We are paid the same. And all evidence proves if you complain to much, you can win the battle but will lose the war. Allowing purchase transportation in is like voting for a white paper contract. ANR was on a 15 % give back for 12 years, & they went bankrupt. I understand some things have to change. Some things you pick up the signs & light the barrel. I find it interesting the Longshoreman's Union does not allow NON-UNION crane operators to unload containers off a ship. Pressure from the rank & file on their elected Local Officials would be so great that the idea of a job action costing thousands of dollars a day to management would quash the idea in a heart beat. von.

At 050 I retired in January of 2016. At that time we used the flat bed for deliveries of anything that wouldn't fit or might be damaged in a loaded trailer. Sometimes securement of a load could be done better with the flat bed instead of inside a trailer. Some guys complained the trailer should be used for the Relo Cube business only, instead of other freight. I said what does it matter? It is generating revenue or lowering our costs. We are paid the same. And all evidence proves if you complain to much, you can win the battle but will lose the war. Allowing purchase transportation in is like voting for a white paper contract. ANR was on a 15 % give back for 12 years, & they went bankrupt. I understand some things have to change. Some things you pick up the signs & light the barrel. I find it interesting the Longshoreman's Union does not allow NON-UNION crane operators to unload containers off a ship. Pressure from the rank & file on their elected Local Officials would be so great that the idea of a job action costing thousands of dollars a day to management would quash the idea in a heart beat. von.

In my Humble(!) Opinion........and experience,.......the guys most likely to do the least amount of work......usually with enough seniority to dump any “distasteful” assignment on junior guys.....
.......are the ones who complain the loudest about any new work opportunity that may require either thought or a teaspoon of sweat.......

There are other truck drivers who load flatbeds,.....Why not Teamsters? We’re supposed to be the cream of the crop.........We came to Union carriers as a Smart Decision.........highest compensation, pension, protection.......
....and a Voice on the job,...that actually means something.

Sometimes management is flummoxed by the actual “ nuts and bolts” of trucking logistics. In a job where your experience and brains are valued,......you do the “logistical “ thinking for them......telling them what is possible,...and legal.

We’re supposed to be the cream of the crop
In the building trades UNION is the cream of the crop, in LTL union means lazy unhelpful drivers. That is what my customers said 30 years ago. I quit asking when I got the same answer every time.

We could have saved union LTL companies if the pension fund's would have partitioned orphans off immediately to the PBGC. They would have worked like dogs at the next company that hired them. Instead the lazy @!%$#*&() drove every company they worked for into bankruptcy. IMO of course.

In the building trades UNION is the cream of the crop, in LTL union means lazy unhelpful drivers. That is what my customers said 30 years ago. I quit asking when I got the same answer every time.

We could have saved union LTL companies if the pension fund's would have partitioned orphans off immediately to the PBGC. They would have worked like dogs at the next company that hired them. Instead the lazy @!%$#*&() drove every company they worked for into bankruptcy. IMO of course.

Whup! I peeked at your content I was supposed to be “ignoring”. I was an “orphan” from 9 companies.

In my Opinion,......the companies whose management was stuck back in the ‘80’s mindset,.....just ran the company into the dirt and cashed out.
Case in point,.....CF and Con-Way. Bled the Union side,....Threw all the cash at the non-Union side,.....and, as a deliberate insult the the Union guys,.....closed CF on,.....Labor Day.

APA closed their Union side,.....opened up a non-Union subsidiary,........and STILL went bankrupt after 8 or so years......

I worked like a dog at every company I was employed with. I had children to feed......
But, there was,....and still is,.....no such thing as Loyalty downward,....although companies expect Loyalty upward.
Take the money and run,......and you poor slobs who get laid off are on your own figuring how to feed your family.....
......or have a pension in the future.....

I’ll take you off my “ignore” list,....as long as you refrain from personal attacks....
Merry Christmas.......