ODFL | By seniority or first in first out?

johnnybtruckin

TB Lurker
Credits
So I was enjoying my unpaid wait time and listening to couple of wild drivers debating how wild board should run. One says it should be first in first out kind of how it is now (but not always we all know that) and the other one said should be by your wild board seniority . I guess the way he said it let's say run is at 1900 driver with less seniority is up at 1600 driver with more seniority is up at 1800 driver with higher seniority should get the run ....I hope it makes sense what I'm trying to communicate, so my question is what do you think is better?

I’m at FXF. Extra board starts over every night for am or pm runs by seniority order. But we only have 1 lay over run. I like it like that but if your barn has a lot of lay overs that makes it more difficult to restart the board everyday. If your start out on Monday running days you stay on days all week or if on nights starting Monday you stay on nights too.

Either way someone gets shafted. Not really much point in a seniority protocol if it's worthless for everything except scheduling vacation

So I was enjoying my unpaid wait time and listening to couple of wild drivers debating how wild board should run. One says it should be first in first out kind of how it is now (but not always we all know that) and the other one said should be by your wild board seniority . I guess the way he said it let's say run is at 1900 driver with less seniority is up at 1600 driver with more seniority is up at 1800 driver with higher seniority should get the run ....I hope it makes sense what I'm trying to communicate, so my question is what do you think is better?
Driver, all that would do is cause people with more seniority to just slow their roll… stop off and eat dinner or eat breakfast somewhere. Meanwhile, the guys who rushed in to the terminals are sitting there left waiting for no reason delaying company freight. The end result you’d see is everybody on the wild board pushing their two hour response windows to the terminal …that would just delay the entire system…. and then what you would see is freight coming in late for returns and all other sorts of mess delaying the city pick up and delivery schedules. You don’t want to go there. Dispatch will be ripping their hair out, drowning in hook cards because there’s no drivers coming in to run them because we have to wait on Billy Bob who’s got seniority and he’s up next meanwhile, five other drivers could’ve already moved that freight.

Running it the way you mentioned in the latter half of your paragraph would make Old Dominion just like all of the other companies that have a designated inbound and outbound type of FAC. Old Dominion runs smoother and is already noted as being the best run LTL out there because of our constant churning of freight ….driver in driver out driver in driver out ….no large outbound, the only way to do that kind of system and keep the freight moving is to go by reset time - don’t break what works you’ll make us like XPO

Seniority based extra board would never work at my barn, We have 30-40 extra board drivers and with it as slow as it has been some days only 2-3 extra drivers get runs. Maybe15-20 on a busy day. So bottom guys would literally never get a run if it wasn’t a constant rotation at our place.

It’s a choice between hog board or wheel board
I am ex union linehaul driver… I was always at a hog board …. Board …. Benefit is seniority counts…..I get(had) 1 hour protection….I could stop and eat or sleep…. I was on call 25-7 … I suggest trying to control the board as much as you can … that way you have an idea when you get out….a wheel board doesn’t care about seniority… it’s first in first out … bad side is no one stops to take a break… or eat….people get to the terminal and punch their card early to get out ahead of you…..it’s a sprint up there stairs… you guys should vote on it ….just remember what helps you today will hurt you tomorrow

Wheel board a guy who started yesterday will make as much as a person who has been their 10 years……bad thing about hog board is as you move up …. You are forced to work…. Be careful whatever you choose…. Plus’s and negative s to both……

It’s a choice between hog board or wheel board
I am ex union linehaul driver… I was always at a hog board …. Board …. Benefit is seniority counts…..I get(had) 1 hour protection….I could stop and eat or sleep…. I was on call 25-7 … I suggest trying to control the board as much as you can … that way you have an idea when you get out….a wheel board doesn’t care about seniority… it’s first in first out … bad side is no one stops to take a break… or eat….people get to the terminal and punch their card early to get out ahead of you…..it’s a sprint up there stairs… you guys should vote on it ….just remember what helps you today will hurt you tomorrow
That works both ways.
We had the only union wheel board in the Carolinas.
When we had a seniority board the top 2 guys were hanging in the dispatch window when their rest was up, ready to go.
We voted in a mandatory 2-hour call time to stop that.

I believe it …… guy in front of me ….. would go behind the window and look when everyone was ready and try to mark himself up … just to get out ahead of me and people below him….scum is always scum…… be careful what you choose….. I always liked hog board ….. only way to control being on call