R&L | Bye Bye Flex Drivers...

Buford

TB Lurker
Credits
well it seems the owners held true to their word. i have heard several flex drivers have been let go last week which only makes sense based on what they told us a couple of months ago....hours have still been reduced at our terminal but its due to the slow business, not protecting the flex drivers. i stated before i hate to see anyone lose their job but i'm also glad to see longtime rl drivers being somewhat taken care of. good luck everyone in these tough times. it seems rl is not as bad as conway, yrc and some other major trucklines.

we still have drivers from an outside leasing company at our place. I think TM more interested in firing R&L drivers. Everyday a driver is in his office getting threatened to be suspended or fired if they get another write-up.Why are we the only terminal with this going on???????????

we still have drivers from an outside leasing company at our place. I think TM more interested in firing R&L drivers. Everyday a driver is in his office getting threatened to be suspended or fired if they get another write-up.Why are we the only terminal with this going on???????????

This due to R&L still letting the TM's know their bottom line and operating ratio. I don't believe any TM under Bob H thinks company first, just hide the mistakes and make the number look good no matter how bad it is. TM's gotta make the bonus level don't ya know... If you got any drivers left with 5-6 years seniority,they make more than the TM. Now you know where the resentment towards the drivers,and petty issues stem from.
R&L could be the top carrier in the northeast if management cared more for the company than themselves.

Well, if this is the end of the flex drivers, which so far I don't think really caught on anyway, that just means the regular R+L guys will now be wearing bigger targets, since the purpose of the flex drivers and their lower pay was so they didn't have to get rid of any of the regulars as a cost control measure.

Dont think we have any flex drivers,unless we count the over the road drivers linehauling our frieght.Every day we have drivers off though.today on a monday which used to be our busiest day we did have 13 drivers stay home.not late starts,off period.unfortunately its always the drivers on the bottom poll.i feel really bad for these drivers that have only been working two or three days a week for the past month or so.i hate to think whats gonna gappen after christmas when it typically slows down!

Dont think we have any flex drivers,unless we count the over the road drivers linehauling our frieght.Every day we have drivers off though.today on a monday which used to be our busiest day we did have 13 drivers stay home.not late starts,off period.unfortunately its always the drivers on the bottom poll.i feel really bad for these drivers that have only been working two or three days a week for the past month or so.i hate to think whats gonna gappen after christmas when it typically slows down!

You and me both.We have not had that happen yet hope that I don't.We all need to put food on the table,clothes on our backs and money in the bank.Just have to keep our heads up
and stay out of sight out of mind and try to find more freight if we can you know.:1036316054:

What is a flex driver? wow cali. must be better barn than others. I worry about my hours and future here. As long as I cash rl checks I will try to be part of there success,We have good equipments decent pay and a shot making it through these hard times in ltl. I have a friend at yellow he would pay me to trade he has not slept a good night sleep in a month. lifes to short dontcare be happy or join conway or the miltary theres no difference.

why dont we go on a rotation start at bottom work to the top everybody take time about on being off? seems the only real fair way to get thru this.

Why is everything on truckingboards compared to Conway? I go to work do my job and nothing is ever said to me.Sure they expect me to be there five days a week (on time) but I knew that 15 yrs ago when I started. Our HOURLY wage is at the top for this industry, overtime after 8 hrs (central region),and our benefits are equal to or better than the other nonunion carriers. In the past I worked for Brown Transport,Jones Truck Lines,St.Johnsbury,NW Transport,Yellow Freight,Carolina,and Old Dominion,they all had there good points and bad points.Conway is no different,sure its not the company it was 10 yrs ago but theres not to many companys in ANY business that hasn't changed for the worst.The two to three R&L drivers that I see on a regular basis all work 55 hrs plus per week for straight time. They seem to be happy with their jobs,and so am I and 90% of the guys I work with.JMO

I will work 55 hours for half pay now days. work hard get freight save fuel. just kidding rl is still a great company in my book. it is only as good as the people in the green trucks.

We haven't laid off a single person in this region of the country yet, so I have to ask the same thing...Con-way bad..?? Did you have a bad experience perhaps..??
And I told you guys when they first brought on the lease drivers that you were highly thought of by your company, and now you're somewhat admitting it...you don't kick the experience to the curb, it's the golden rule...hang in there, guys..

conway released today a 5000 plus layoff what world are you living in or do you really work at conway rl is the green giant and dont forget it. think about it rl 150 people laidoffed conway 5000 give up and think green.

Wilson, I have no idea where you are getting your facts, or if you are dreaming it, then wake up and think it was real...5000 would be 20% of our employees...Please, share your FACTS with us...who is your source..?? The world I am living in, the Con-way world, where I have lived for a long time, shows no such thing...Did you hit the bottle a little early today...??? R&L is a fine company, I believe I have stated that repeatedly on this forum...Who are you arguing with..??