FedEx Freight | Cab Noise

suzy1052

TB Lurker
Credits
Redracer3316 in another thread topic got me to thinking about something. I would like to know how many people if any feel that all the warning sounds buzzers beeps and chirps that we hear daily is increasing their anxiety level when you should be taking a measured non panic approach to a possible situation. Over the course of the some days this adds up to the point I just want to stop and get out of the truck and no I don't tailgate or ask for trouble but I can't control when someone is going to get in front me and slow down unexpectedly or when a crooked fog line pops up. I personally feel I spend more time trying to keep the cab quiet when I should be focused on whats in front and on the side of me. I'm NOT trying to start another victim movement I want to know if anyone else feels like this. Its been proven that certain sounds and tones can affect your health by raising your stress levels. I realize this is not going away but it is in its infancy and maybe the sounds and tones can be changed of softened.

Our hearing levels vary - people have different ranges of sound that they can hear and are sensitive to. The truck will brake and or shoot video whether or not it's beeping.

The beeps started as punishment for bad habits.

Now they have video and active braking to discipline and assist us.

The non stop ear and nerve rattling clanging should be adjustable by the driver. Perhaps on a performance based level as Jeff aluded to.

I'm sure some of you guys heard about the diplomats at the US embassy in Cuba suffering from hearing damage. Its been determined that it was caused by some type of high frequency sonic weapon. I'm not making this up ! After being examined by doctors some of them having CTE type brain damage. All I'm saying is that there is a lot we don't know about how sonic pulses and various sounds affect the human body. Raised cortisol levels being one. There may be some serious long term health consequences for some people from repeated daily exposure.

Agree 100% @suzy1052!!!

The bells and whistles were meant to deter bad habits but instead they’re more of a distraction than the distractions themselves!! We’re told to “just back off” but in a lot of cases backing off just opens the door for more idiots to fill the space you just created causing more bells and whistles!!

I’d like to see these bells and whistles mounted to desk, desk chairs, laptops, doors, grab handles in the stairwells, company cars, etc...anywhere that’s caused a lost time accident/incident and then maybe they’d see our point!!

I completely agree.

Example.
This actually scenario happened to me.

Guy cuts in front of me as the road curves,causing you to brake.
Side buzzers go off, at the same time the forward warning beep pierces your ears. Notification that you are being recorded comes on, at the same time an "Urgent message" hits your handheld with 4 irritating ass beeps.

4 damn different buzzes, beeps BURRRNT!! All at the same ****in time.

You have NO CLUE what direction to look, or what your manuver should be..

I'd like to install the same level of distraction in a Managers office while they are on an important call with a regional Manager. Let them see if they can continue to focus on the task at hand.
Only, when they are distracted by all the random noise, they can just stop what they are doing.
Whereas a driver may have to explain why he took a set into a ditch.

Also, is it absolutely necessary to have the damn things go off EVERY ****IN TIME YOU CRANK THE DAMN TRUCK?!?!?

Let's apply that to a supervisor.. Every time he opens a new tab on his computer, he gets a 98db blast in each ear.
Every time.

I find the newer Pete’s are way more annoying than the Volvo’s with all the beep distractions. Thankfully I drive a Volvo but the lane departure is just crazy. I was driving on a long stretch of new asphalt on 41 this morning and the lane departure kept going off and there’s no lines on the road.

The distance beeper is worse in some areas than others. Like on 65 when some nights it seems every truck is going 1 mph slower than me. I usually find my self just saying screw it and setting the cruise to 62 and just hang with the YRC guys to avoid a lot of unneeded frustration.

You can't just drive down the road minding your own business without the ****ing thing making a noise about something reading the off ramp speed limit signs ,ass hat passes you and pulls back in and hits brakes it goes fkn bananas and I feel like good god I friggin seen it I Am dealing with it .. it is ridiculous , I would love to put the twerp who designed it in the truck on the actual highway not therr closed ****ing fantasy course... There my rant is over

Redracer3316 in another thread topic got me to thinking about something. I would like to know how many people if any feel that all the warning sounds buzzers beeps and chirps that we hear daily is increasing their anxiety level when you should be taking a measured non panic approach to a possible situation. Over the course of the some days this adds up to the point I just want to stop and get out of the truck and no I don't tailgate or ask for trouble but I can't control when someone is going to get in front me and slow down unexpectedly or when a crooked fog line pops up. I personally feel I spend more time trying to keep the cab quiet when I should be focused on whats in front and on the side of me. I'm NOT trying to start another victim movement I want to know if anyone else feels like this. Its been proven that certain sounds and tones can affect your health by raising your stress levels. I realize this is not going away but it is in its infancy and maybe the sounds and tones can be changed of softened.
It's ridiculous. There are so many freaking NOISES that one just starts ignoring them. I especially like the NOISES when trying to start the truck. Like I need to know they exist before moving. Driving a truck is just one freaking CACOPHONY of noise from beginning to end.

The worst are the new ones that not only WARN you of everything else but also say your are going over the speed limit. For christ sakes. Can you warn me if my blood pressure is too high? Temperature? Sugar level? Why not?