R&L | Calling In Sick

Recap Slinger

TB Lurker
Credits
We’re being told in Chattanooga, that if you call in sick now, (for whatever reason) you must now get a Dr’s note clearing you to return AND go get a new DOT Physical done. Then it is still up to Wilmington if you can return or be put out of service for two weeks. It just seems this is going to discourage people from staying home if they are sick to keep from going through all this hassle. One of our guys was on vacation last week and had to take last Monday off getting everything cleared to return to work. He wasn’t sick, just out on a week of vacation, but had to go see his Dr & get a physical before his driver code would be reactivated. Is this going on anywhere else?

We’re being told in Chattanooga, that if you call in sick now, (for whatever reason) you must now get a Dr’s note clearing you to return AND go get a new DOT Physical done. Then it is still up to Wilmington if you can return or be put out of service for two weeks. It just seems this is going to discourage people from staying home if they are sick to keep from going through all this hassle. One of our guys was on vacation last week and had to take last Monday off getting everything cleared to return to work. He wasn’t sick, just out on a week of vacation, but had to go see his Dr & get a physical before his driver code would be reactivated. Is this going on anywhere else?
I hope not. Im on vacation starting now for a week and no one said anything about having to get cleared before coming back. Hell, if that was the case, you would need to be cleared to come back from the weekend.

That directive must be coming from your regional safety person, because nothing like that is going on out here in California. What does a DOT physical have to do with the corona virus anyway? They don’t check anything having to do with that during a DOT physical. As a matter of fact, having you go to your doctor and to get a physical is putting you at a much higher risk for exposure. Just dumb all around.

Last edited:
Nothing like this in Great Lakes area. Only stupid thing they've done is ban tool trucks for 30 days, turn off coffee machines, unplug vending machines, and no fruit/doughnuts on Friday. Idiots. Thousands of bills inbound and outbound per day and they pull that crap. The day they try to take my temp before clicking in is the day I set in front of my vehicles heater vent for five minutes and do 25 jumping jacks then I file for unemployment when they send me home because I'm hot

Nothing like this in Great Lakes area. Only stupid thing they've done is ban tool trucks for 30 days, turn off coffee machines, unplug vending machines, and no fruit/doughnuts on Friday. Idiots. Thousands of bills inbound and outbound per day and they pull that crap. The day they try to take my temp before clicking in is the day I set in front of my vehicles heater vent for five minutes and do 25 jumping jacks then I file for unemployment when they send me home because I'm hot
I would like to see half of our drivers even do 25 jumping jacks. Be the most effort they did in awhile.

Connecticut put out a list on Sunday of essential jobs versus non essential because non essential need to stay home. Lets just say, pretty much everything is essential. The only places non essential are office worker jobs and schools otherwise, get to work. Its a total joke.

Connecticut put out a list on Sunday of essential jobs versus non essential because non essential need to stay home. Lets just say, pretty much everything is essential. The only places non essential are office worker jobs and schools otherwise, get to work. Its a total joke.
The almighty dollar is more important then life , this is so sad

I'm setting at a place that makes many things, a few of which are disinfectant sprays, the rest are perfumed deodorizers, no anti viral/microbial benefit at all. All their machines are running the non disinfectant spray. Guess which one has higher profit margin for them. But they are considered essential.

I'm setting at a place that makes many things, a few of which are disinfectant sprays, the rest are perfumed deodorizers, no anti viral/microbial benefit at all. All their machines are running the non disinfectant spray. Guess which one has higher profit margin for them. But they are considered essential.
Lets make sure an otr driver runs 16 hours straight to get that perfume to a ten million sq ft warehouse

So far we our open. State closed but we will see after today. We have a ton of Residentials.
Started @ 8:00am this morning just now taking a break had 4 regular business deliveries and 7 residential 2 businesses closed delivered 5 of 7 residential 1 refused 1 not home,nothing on my trailer was essential for survival.100 miles from terminal in about 10 minutes I’ll call in and probably head back.for no freight it was a long day on rural two lane highways.

Started @ 8:00am this morning just now taking a break had 4 regular business deliveries and 7 residential 2 businesses closed delivered 5 of 7 residential 1 refused 1 not home,nothing on my trailer was essential for survival.100 miles from terminal in about 10 minutes I’ll call in and probably head back.for no freight it was a long day on rural two lane highways.
Yesterday's Pick ups were lite. Drop Trailers were at same levels of freight. My route is usually heavy. Three to Four floaters running in area most days with me. All of us lite. Had 21 spots left coming in. 8.5 hours yesterday. Most days 10 hours.

Read & understand 392.3. Got to https://www.truckersjusticecenter.com/ and read some of his cases about driving sick or marking off. Better yet, find one of his cases & make copies of the Judges ruling against the trucking company. And pass them out in the break room. Get their attention. Let them KNOW you are taking notes about their actions on being sick. Record your conversations with them. Be prepared. Go on offense. von.