FedEx Freight | Calling off due to weather

So as a road driver, watching road conditions and it sucks bad, can you refuse to run cause its not safe without repercussions
What we were told from safety was use the phrase "driver discretion". The term is supposed to cover you from a occurrence or repercussion in bad weather. Snow and ice storms. If that doesn't work at your center. Come to work and hook up. Roll the gate and get maybe a mile from terminal and floor it till your tires break traction. Then turn around and tell your dispatchers that you broke traction and don't feel safe. Both have worked for me.

Be professional when you do it though.

Last edited:
What we were told from safety was use the phrase "driver discretion". The term is supposed to cover you from a occurrence or repercussion in bad weather. Snow and ice storms. If that doesn't work at your center. Come to work and hook up. Roll the gate and get maybe a mile from terminal and floor it till your tires break traction. Then turn around and tell your dispatchers that you broke traction and don't feel safe. Both have worked for me.

Be professional when you do it though.
Here they send to GJN if Wyoming I 80 is bad or closed. So you avoid that but get excise chaining up to go over Loveland Pass or 10 miles down off Eisenhower (6% grade) don't take the chains off you stil got Vail pass( not as bad unless your going east). Let's not forget Glenwood Canyon that they do a ::shit:: job of clearing snow & ice. Oh my Good Times

Here they send to GJN if Wyoming I 80 is bad or closed. So you avoid that but get excise chaining up to go over Loveland Pass or 10 miles down off Eisenhower (6% grade) don't take the chains off you stil got Vail pass( not as bad unless your going east). Let's not forget Glenwood Canyon that they do a **** job of clearing snow & ice. Oh my Good Times
Glad I'm a flatland driver!

I use two factors to determine whether or not I'm coming in.

1) When Highway Patrol/State Police advise against non-emergency travel.
2) Difficulty getting to major highways, from house.

Typically item 1 occurs before item 2.

Just know, if it's before or after a holiday... You'll most likely lose holiday pay too...

:smilie93c peelout:

Last edited:
THAT is the bottom line, even if you're the best damn driver that has ever been. most don't consider the fact that it's them other drivers, who think they can drive in ice, that will cause the accidents.

I went to the supermarket this morning and it was snowing. I'm driving up a hill on a road with 2 lanes of traffic, each going in operate directions. As I'm going around a curve, there's a nutcase going around the other cars driving on the wrong side of the road. I almost went into a ditch trying to avoid him.