FedEx Freight | Calling off due to weather

Years ago at Maislin running into Canada and all, we were never allowed to call off for weather and even in heavy snow we weren't allowed to stop driving until the snow reached the white line on the trailers! Bunch of candy a**es these days! :lmao: :hilarious: :hide:
(PS - No A/C, no air ride seat either back then)

MaislinSyr.md.jpeg
I think you have been reading BillyBob's posts!

Years ago at Maislin running into Canada and all, we were never allowed to call off for weather and even in heavy snow we weren't allowed to stop driving until the snow reached the white line on the trailers! Bunch of candy a**es these days! :lmao: :hilarious: :hide:

MaislinSyr.md.jpeg
By the way BRG, did you notice the lights we had on our mirrors? Pretty cool right? :smile new:

MaislinSyr.md.jpeg
Yeah. But you were driving a Ford.

MaislinSyr.md.jpeg
Uhhh……just out of curiosity, why would you need a/c in a snow storm?
:idunno::idunno::idunno:

Years ago at Maislin running into Canada and all, we were never allowed to call off for weather and even in heavy snow we weren't allowed to stop driving until the snow reached the white line on the trailers! Bunch of candy a**es these days!:lmao: :hysterical: :hide:

MaislinSyr.md.jpeg
That was me as a little boy, walking 5-miles, uphill in a snow storm to school that you passed each day. I always wondered who that no good Maislin driver was who would never stop and give me a ride!!!
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

That was me as a little boy, walking 5-miles, uphill in a snow storm to school that you passed each day. I always wondered who that no good Maislin driver was who would never stop and give me a ride!!!
:lmao::lmao::lmao:
Because with Bertha snuggling up beside him it gets HOT...lmao
And, I always wondered why that Maislin driver always had his windows rolled down, even in a snow storm. Now I know why. He had no A/C and Bertha does indeed make a good heater. Oh well, with Bertha in there, there was probably not enough room for me anyway. LOL!!!

I'm NOT buying that. What percentage? Never EVER seen any mention of % calling out having anything to do with it. So we wait for the mob to rule? 1st call out risks corrective action while the last few face nothing? HA! I would challenge that at the 1st opportunity.
I’m telling you, it’s like if 51% of the board calls off then it’s a completely excused day. I mean how do you think it is. You call off and say driver discretion and all is foregiven? Um no that isn’t how it works. You call off it counts against you. If you have pto hours to use then it goes toward that 32 hours per year that you can use. If you don’t it’s one strike against you. Unless 51% (not pos on this number) of the board calls off. I believe it is a different story if you come in and make an attempt but turn around and come back. I believe that is completely forgiven. For call ins what I described is absolutely true. Otherwise nothing would ever be excused. A company cannot allow drivers to just call in and say driver discretion. Lmao. People would say that for anything.

I’m telling you, it’s like if 51% of the board calls off then it’s a completely excused day. I mean how do you think it is. You call off and say driver discretion and all is foregiven? Um no that isn’t how it works. You call off it counts against you. If you have pto hours to use then it goes toward that 32 hours per year that you can use. If you don’t it’s one strike against you. Unless 51% (not pos on this number) of the board calls off. I believe it is a different story if you come in and make an attempt but turn around and come back. I believe that is completely forgiven. For call ins what I described is absolutely true. Otherwise nothing would ever be excused. A company cannot allow drivers to just call in and say driver discretion. Lmao. People would say that for an

If I have personal time to cover good, if not who cares. One point equals two days, hell that is a win-win for me. I take care of me. Don't care about moving freight.

Last edited:
I’m telling you, it’s like if 51% of the board calls off then it’s a completely excused day. I mean how do you think it is. You call off and say driver discretion and all is foregiven? Um no that isn’t how it works. You call off it counts against you. If you have pto hours to use then it goes toward that 32 hours per year that you can use. If you don’t it’s one strike against you. Unless 51% (not pos on this number) of the board calls off. I believe it is a different story if you come in and make an attempt but turn around and come back. I believe that is completely forgiven. For call ins what I described is absolutely true. Otherwise nothing would ever be excused. A company cannot allow drivers to just call in and say driver discretion. Lmao. People would say that for anything.
Severe Weather Event policy was changed in January of 2015. Policy now states as follows. “Effective immediately an employee who cannot safely make it to work during a Severe Weather Event should contact local center leadership within a reasonable time to provide notification. In those situations where a reasonable attempt has been made, tardiness and/or absences will be approved and not counted as occurrences or points.” This is the exact wording from the memo. Doesn’t matter how many do or don’t call in.

Severe Weather Event policy was changed in January of 2015. Policy now states as follows. “Effective immediately an employee who cannot safely make it to work during a Severe Weather Event should contact local center leadership within a reasonable time to provide notification. In those situations where a reasonable attempt has been made, tardiness and/or absences will be approved and not counted as occurrences or points.” This is the exact wording from the memo. Doesn’t matter how many do or don’t call in.
I'm a city driver so this may not be the same.
So your saying if I think I may Hydro plane in my personal vehicle on the way to work due to rain I can call off and everything would be good?
I.realize your just posting what you've read so I'm not saying your agreeing one way or the other

I'm a city driver so this may not be the same.
So your saying if I think I may Hydro plane in my personal vehicle on the way to work due to rain I can call off and everything would be good?
I.realize your just posting what you've read so I'm not saying your agreeing one way or the other
I’m not saying anything. I just posted the policy. If you read it it says Reasonable Attempt. Lots of room for interpretation of that. My thoughts would be that if the Governor calls for a state of emergency and doesn’t want people on the roads is one thing, but driving through a puddle and claiming reasonable attempt is quite another.