ABF | Camera ?

peter guzinnia

TB Lurker
Credits
Trailer 553678 looked out driver side mirror and saw this .
SkvBzH3.jpg

vzRicgL.jpg

If the trailer has TPMs/central tire inflation system , that is a white LED indicator alerting you to a leak in the air system or low air pressure .
AND I have some ocean front property to sell you in Arizona! not disputing your comments, but that gives another angle to the company....oh well, big brother is here!..might as well face it.. on the upside, this could be used to monitor the yard/property during off peak times...especially at "dark/remote dispatch" places..
I like to try to put an "upbeat" spin on everthing.

Note to Bubba Gump (since you can only read now, not post)...How about that?
Be sure to let Judy know....

AND I have some ocean front property to sell you in Arizona! not disputing your comments, but that gives another angle to the company....oh well, big brother is here!..might as well face it.. on the upside, this could be used to monitor the yard/property during off peak times...especially at "dark/remote dispatch" places..
I like to try to put an "upbeat" spin on everthing.

Note to Bubba Gump (since you can only read now, not post)...How about that?
Be sure to let Judy know....
Just because you're not paranoid, it doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you! Right?
I'm right there with you, Big Brother is real, and I don't mean an overweight Teamster!

Just because you're not paranoid, it doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you! Right?
I'm right there with you, Big Brother is real, and I don't mean an overweight Teamster!
That would be "Big Bubba" to you, sir..and hey, what does a Light Beer 6Pak a day during the scortching/heat/humidity harm anyone, (when you are off duty?) ..maybe a little overweight but I can "throw my weight around" in the right circumstances.....

My BA checked into it and was told it was for low air / air leak warning system . But still looks like it could be a camera .

Ahhhh........Technology.........
Something else that’ll malfunction out in the.......real world....

Wonder what kind of side-of-the-highway “fix” us drivers will come up with when confronted with the inevitable ......failure....of the “warning system”......

Vice grips to pinch off air lines connected to the light?.......Duct tape?.........Sledge hammer for “fine” adjustment of the light ruining your mirror vision on a foggy, rainy night?

Remember the......magnet.....to “fix” the antilock light,....to get back to the shop without being pulled over by the DOT?

Yessir!......Put delicate complicated electronic devices......
.......on bouncing, slamming, exposed-to-weather.....machinery.....

Nothing went wrong in the laboratory..........

I won't swear to it.. But I think it's set up like your tpm on all newer cars today. The only difference is instead of going to the cab, it's sent to the light. Probably 50cent cheaper that way the having it blue toothed to the dash.

I won't swear to it.. But I think it's set up like your tpm on all newer cars today. The only difference is instead of going to the cab, it's sent to the light. Probably 50cent cheaper that way the having it blue toothed to the dash.

I think I'd worry more about an air leak or low(steering! ) tire on the tractor......
Do the new tractors have a low tire/ air leak warning light on the dash?

Do the new tractors have .......air bags.....yet?

We are getting Great Dane and Hyundai trailers and dollies. These all have the through hub air inflation system for the tires . It is plumbed into the service air. The light is hardwired to a proportioning valve that supplies service air to the unit. When it detects a drop in pressure it comes on indicating an air leak in the system or a tire. With some air ride trailers it will come on if the bags have deflated while parked. As soon as the bags air up, the light goes off. There is no monitoring of tractor tires at this point for our fleet. Just trailers and dollies. That implies to me it is more geared to extending tire life and mileage than safety.

I think I'd worry more about an air leak or low(steering! ) tire on the tractor......
Do the new tractors have a low tire/ air leak warning light on the dash?

Do the new tractors have .......air bags.....yet?
There you have it! You are exactly right! If they were even a fraction worried about the drivers safety that they claim they are when installing the cameras there would be way more actual safety features installed in all trucks years ago.

There you have it! You are exactly right! If they were even a fraction worried about the drivers safety that they claim they are when installing the cameras there would be way more actual safety features installed in all trucks years ago.

Yep,....Under the nebulous term "Safety".......once again, they nefariously "discover" that it can be used for surveillance and discipline also......SHAZAM! Who'd a Thunk it?

And that would be ....selective discipline......Those who are on the TM's..."Pet List"....won't seem to have as much "trouble"....
....as those who are NOT on it......
Thereby sending an oh-so-subtle message,....that you'd better start offering to ....wash cars or babysit on weekends,.....if you want...."On The List"

Just ask the non-Union guys........Those that...."speak up".....seem to be on camera,...and called into the office for "training and advice"....more often than the Brown-Nose Crew.........

If ANY of these fleets ACTUALLY cared about Driver Safety.......A push to make Airbag technology MANDATORY in Large Trucks would've been made ....a decade ago......

But,...No......"Let's Invest Millions In A New Toy For Surveillance...And Tell 'Em It's For Safety.....Ha-Ha! What A Joke On Them!"

And,...to stay On Topic.......Even a Volkswagen Beetle has technology to let you know when your tires are going low.....
Nice to see they're worrying about Trailer and Dollie tires.......Those carry FREIGHT.........which is Eversomuch more important than whatever the .....Tractor....is carrying......

Are the trailers equipped with duals or duplex tires?

I think....not sure.....there's a moratorium on super-single tires in doubles/triples operations for Union carriers under the NMFA, ABF NMFA, and the UPS and UPS Freight contracts...

Something about having a single tire blow out on a converter or a single axle......with doubles or triples...

And,....yeah.......Everyone is going to line up now and tell me how....."indestructible " ...super singles, or "duplex" tires are.....

But I think they are on hold until further study for the Union carriers....

I think....not sure.....there's a moratorium on super-single tires in doubles/triples operations for Union carriers under the NMFA, ABF NMFA, and the UPS and UPS Freight contracts...

Something about having a single tire blow out on a converter or a single axle......with doubles or triples...

And,....yeah.......Everyone is going to line up now and tell me how....."indestructible " ...super singles, or "duplex" tires are.....

I'll not disagree one iota about this subject. I would not drive a truck with super singles in a regular 5 axle single trailer set up let alone in doubles/triples operations . I know it's illegal, but short of a steer tire blowout I can always limp myself to a safe place with duals.

We use them on our new tractors at the tanker company I work for now. Our maintenance is way above anything I ever seen in ltl. No blowouts or problems but like anything preventive maintenance is everything. We don't run any recaps on anything. Their most likely the way of the future cause it saves money.

We use them on our new tractors at the tanker company I work for now. Our maintenance is way above anything I ever seen in ltl. No blowouts or problems but like anything preventive maintenance is everything. We don't run any recaps on anything. Their most likely the way of the future cause it saves money.

I do see a lot on tankers and tandem axles. I think they work there......It's just ....one tire on converter dollies and single-axle trailers,....that are the reason the moratorium(?) is there....

99% of super-single tire failures are due to....road hazards,...not maintenance failures......

I do see a lot on tankers and tandem axles. I think they work there......It's just ....one tire on converter dollies and single-axle trailers,....that are the reason the moratorium(?) is there....

99% of super-single tire failures are due to....road hazards,...not maintenance failures......
I agree. I've had a dolly tire blow out and rip the air lines off to my tail trailer. Always remember getting a hotel room 1/2 hour from the terminal on a Saturday morning.

They were touted as fuel savers but in studies by the folks at ATRI, modern low profile duals match or exceed mileage rates of the wide singles. They only real benefit is weight savings which is one reason tankers gravitate to them. I've seen first hand the carnage that CAN happen when a wide single blows in a heavily laden commercial vehicle. The guy almost lost it and the gouged pavement and destroyed rim made my mind up for me. Granted that doesn't happen with every super single blow out, but I've yet to see a dual blow out and have the rim hit the pavement. Lots of opinions out there, but I will not operate one equipped with them. Glad I only have about 15 years left in this industry. They're taking all the fun right out of it and super singles for me is just one more straw on the camels back.