FedEx Freight | Cameras On Drivers

Unions ? Seriously ? Everytime someone doesn't like something they're gonna cry union, see how that went before, unions are so great go work for a union co. It's the sign of the times, automatics,def,forward facing cameras, so what. I've been driving 40 years, trucking is all about change, gotta roll with it or go flip burgers for 1/4 of what we make

Unions ? Seriously ? Everytime someone doesn't like something they're gonna cry union, see how that went before, unions are so great go work for a union co. It's the sign of the times, automatics,def,forward facing cameras, so what. I've been driving 40 years, trucking is all about change, gotta roll with it or go flip burgers for 1/4 of what we make

Forty years and still not retired? You should have worked Union.

You shouldn’t be so shallow, it’s not a union/anti-union thing...it’s our industry as a whole. I don’t see where any company is compensating their drivers for testing such devices...including union companies.
Not shallow,I’ve been a union member 40 years and I’ll leave when I don’t have anything to contribute any more. I have retiree insurance and a pension,That’s not in trouble like central states.We have something you don’t a contract and some piece of mine.,No driver facing cameras .Work rules and hours of service all negotiable on regions,Do you guys even, have driver advocates at your facility,No!!!.Who if any one advocates for you and your co workers,No One!!!.

You better hope the market doesn’t crash like 2008-9 .I-am sure you got that all figured out.Right!!!

He's just whistling Dixie. He isn't set up like that, and if he is, he's 80 years old and will have no quality of life to enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Not shallow,I’ve been a union member 40 years and I’ll leave when I don’t have anything to contribute any more. I have retiree insurance and a pension,That’s not in trouble like central states.We have something you don’t a contract and some piece of mine.,No driver facing cameras .Work rules and hours of service all negotiable on regions,Do you guys even, have driver advocates at your facility,No!!!.Who if any one advocates for you and your co workers,No One!!!.
You totally missed the point...I didn’t mean shallow as in you personally but shallow as in your way of thinking. It’s not about what you have and what I don’t, it’s about neither of us getting paid for being beta testers of these new devices...and I don’t care who you drive for, your pay doesn't reflect these duties.

You totally missed the point...I didn’t mean shallow as in you personally but shallow as in your way of thinking. It’s not about what you have and what I don’t, it’s about neither of us getting paid for being beta testers of these new devices...and I don’t care who you drive for, your pay doesn't reflect these duties.
It’s there equipment ,(The Companies)My union negotiated on our behalf.These cameras, can go either way.Other equipment on new vehicles is again supposed to be safety related.When I started no equipment had power steering and the spot mirrors were as big as a silver dollar,I don’t care what they put in their truck ,as long as it doesn’t effect my ability to do my job.

I've been driving 40 years, trucking is all about change, gotta roll with it or go flip burgers for 1/4 of what we make

That's just crazy (sad), if those are your 2 options... After 40 years (?) have you not picked up a few skills beyond burger flipping?

... pretty sure the union couldn't do that, f the union and union trolls

Again, a pretty narrow (ignorant) view of things. Don't feel bad. Once upon a time I sounded like that.

Truth is (private sector) Unions play a vital roll in the balance of power. Accomplishing things as a group, that the individual could not. Much like a Corporation accomplishes what an individual cannot.

Now then, if you can put aside the broad brush, and get into the specifics of one Union vs another, the case can easily be made that all unions are not equal. Fedex Pilot's Union (ALPA) vs. the Teamsters, for example, shows quite a contrast. The most significant factor being member participation keeping the Union accountable.

The moral of the story: Union representation is vital in a capitalist system. Participation and keeping said Union accountable is a key component, most often missing.

It’s there equipment ,(The Companies)My union negotiated on our behalf.These cameras, can go either way.Other equipment on new vehicles is again supposed to be safety related.When I started no equipment had power steering and the spot mirrors were as big as a silver dollar,I don’t care what they put in their truck ,as long as it doesn’t effect my ability to do my job.
Correct, it’s their equipment but they hired you to operate that equipment. Their equipment has evolved to include many more new devices that didn’t exist just 10 years ago yet your union didn’t negotiate on your behalf to evolve your wages to accommodate your operation of such new devices...and neither has mine, that’s all I’m saying.

I do care what they put into their truck because I have something to say!! :1036316054:

That's just crazy (sad), if those are your 2 options... After 40 years (?) have you not picked up a few skills beyond burger flipping?

Again, a pretty narrow (ignorant) view of things. Don't feel bad. Once upon a time I sounded like that.

Truth is (private sector) Unions play a vital roll in the balance of power. Accomplishing things as a group, that the individual could not. Much like a Corporation accomplishes what an individual cannot.

Now then, if you can put aside the broad brush, and get into the specifics of one Union vs another, the case can easily be made that all unions are not equal. Fedex Pilot's Union (ALPA) vs. the Teamsters, for example, shows quite a contrast. The most significant factor being member participation keeping the Union accountable.

The moral of the story: Union representation is vital in a capitalist system. Participation and keeping said Union accountable is a key component, most often missing.
Sorry, wanted to “like” this post but I just couldn’t get past the first part of your response...however, I do agree with the second part.

Correct, it’s their equipment but they hired you to operate that equipment. Their equipment has evolved to include many more new devices that didn’t exist just 10 years ago yet your union didn’t negotiate on your behalf to evolve your wages to accommodate your operation of such new devices...and neither has mine, that’s all I’m saying.

I do care what they put into their truck because I have something to say!! :1036316054:
Your not a crane operator.They make big bucks,The union ones of coarse.The longer the stick the more money they make. Hasn’t any one told you truck driving is not a skilled profession any more.Become a operating engineer or electrician,Maybe try UPS package.

Sorry, wanted to “like” this post but I just couldn’t get past the first part of your response...however, I do agree with the second part.
Fair enough. Should have gave each a separate reply, as they are vastly different topics.

I still think the burger flipper option is setting the bar way too low. I've known many a driver escape to shipping/receiving manager, forklift operator, etc. None went to burger flipper. None.

Fair enough. Should have gave each a separate reply, as they are vastly different topics.

I still think the burger flipper option is setting the bar way too low. I've known many a driver escape to shipping/receiving manager, forklift operator, etc. None went to burger flipper. None.
Agreed, although I think his burger flipping option was more for dramatic effect than an actual option...and thanks to Trump, flipping burgers is primarily an option for those just starting in the workforce!! :1036316054:

Your not a crane operator.They make big bucks,The union ones of coarse.The longer the stick the more money they make. Hasn’t any one told you truck driving is not a skilled profession any more.Become a operating engineer or electrician,Maybe try UPS package.
I digress....:regretful:

Last edited:

There not listening.:2437::violin: