Can I Become Truck Driver Now ?

Impact010

TB Lurker
Credits
I m 20 , Male
I m considering trucking as my future but I saw on internet it shows truck driving jobs are in danger in future because self driving trucks will take over .
So can someone tell me if I should start getting driving experience and then get a job as a truck driver
What do you think for how long do u think it's not gonna get away by self driving trucks

Thanks in advance
Ps: I stutter and I can't think of any career where interaction with people is less than trucking
And sorry for my bad English

I m 20 , Male
I m considering trucking as my future but I saw on internet it shows truck driving jobs are in danger in future because self driving trucks will take over .
So can someone tell me if I should start getting driving experience and then get a job as a truck driver
What do you think for how long do u think it's not gonna get away by self driving trucks

Thanks in advance
Ps: I stutter and I can't think of any career where interaction with people is less than trucking
You will be 50 before you see truck drivers put out of work by self driving trucks., but there will always be a need.

I m 20 , Male

Thanks in advance

You will be 50 before you see truck drivers put out of work by self driving trucks., but there will always be a need.

Absolutely,........What he said.
The only segment of trucking that will be impacted by self-driving trucks will be long-haul truckload,...or long-haul hub-and-spoke LTL.
Everything else,.....carhaul, LTL last mile, intercity, construction, flatbed,.....requires a....human driver to be responsible for the load...You're actually doing two jobs,........Driving,.......and then the loading/unloading/securing/safety of the load........Robots can't do that,..because the parameters change on an hourly basis,...if not quicker.

Truckload drivers are usually entry-level people,......they haven't developed the skills to actually,physically handle the many and varied types of freight,...AND the responsibility to properly and safely secure it so there isn't mass carnage on the road......

Entry-level drivers are.....steering wheel holders......and Robots CAN do that......

So,...Learn to drive,....THEN specialize in a certain type of freight that can't be contained with 4 walls and shrink-wrap.......

You'll figure it out......

As far as the stuttering goes.........A guy I went to high school with had a bad stutter,....Back in the '60's, that meant he took a lot of (not so) good-natured ribbing from the (not) politically correct people of those times.........

He became a truck driver,.........and,...wonder of wonders,.......when he used a CB radio,...he had NO stutter......In fact, he was funny as hell to run with,....a wry and quick wit,........ran with him many a time to Detroit and back.......

......(.....I guess psychologists could have a field day about human quirks........but,..to Hell with them,...this is truck driving...)......

He never held it against me for being a Big Jerk in high school.......(..or maybe I still am a Big Jerk,..and he was ...being Polite..).....

But,.....this is trucking,.........an occupation that never was...politically correct......If you're thin-skinned and your..."feelings"...get hurt a lot.....
.....you won't last in trucking......

Your best bet is to just get in their face and say: "Yeah, I stutter......So what? ...Yer wife don't seem to mind.....".....

Guys get into trucking.....Long-term,.....because they are iconoclastic, opinionated, independent, and abrasive........Not really the perfect Gala Ballroom Dinner and Dance attendee......

There's many a guy out there who spend a year or two behind the wheel,...entry-level,.....and can't handle the lifestyle/people/work/independence...........so they quit, go to work as a stock boy,....and spend the rest of their lives bragging about when they "used to be" a truck driver.......

Make a decision there,...young man. You like a challenge? A potentially lethal one? A certainly dirty, fatiguing, and frustrating one?
Go for it! It'll be a long time before they invent a Robot that can take....responsibility....

Plus, you gotta get this.
8H60Ez3.jpg

Absolutely,........What he said.
The only segment of trucking that will be impacted by self-driving trucks will be long-haul truckload,...or long-haul hub-and-spoke LTL.
Everything else,.....carhaul, LTL last mile, intercity, construction, flatbed,.....requires a....human driver to be responsible for the load...You're actually doing two jobs,........Driving,.......and then the loading/unloading/securing/safety of the load........Robots can't do that,..because the parameters change on an hourly basis,...if not quicker.

Truckload drivers are usually entry-level people,......they haven't developed the skills to actually,physically handle the many and varied types of freight,...AND the responsibility to properly and safely secure it so there isn't mass carnage on the road......

Entry-level drivers are.....steering wheel holders......and Robots CAN do that......

So,...Learn to drive,....THEN specialize in a certain type of freight that can't be contained with 4 walls and shrink-wrap.......

You'll figure it out......

As far as the stuttering goes.........A guy I went to high school with had a bad stutter,....Back in the '60's, that meant he took a lot of (not so) good-natured ribbing from the (not) politically correct people of those times.........

He became a truck driver,.........and,...wonder of wonders,.......when he used a CB radio,...he had NO stutter......In fact, he was funny as hell to run with,....a wry and quick wit,........ran with him many a time to Detroit and back.......

......(.....I guess psychologists could have a field day about human quirks........but,..to Hell with them,...this is truck driving...)......

He never held it against me for being a Big Jerk in high school.......(..or maybe I still am a Big Jerk,..and he was ...being Polite..).....

But,.....this is trucking,.........an occupation that never was...politically correct......If you're thin-skinned and your..."feelings"...get hurt a lot.....
.....you won't last in trucking......

Your best bet is to just get in their face and say: "Yeah, I stutter......So what? ...Yer wife don't seem to mind.....".....

Guys get into trucking.....Long-term,.....because they are iconoclastic, opinionated, independent, and abrasive........Not really the perfect Gala Ballroom Dinner and Dance attendee......

There's many a guy out there who spend a year or two behind the wheel,...entry-level,.....and can't handle the lifestyle/people/work/independence...........so they quit, go to work as a stock boy,....and spend the rest of their lives bragging about when they "used to be" a truck driver.......

Make a decision there,...young man. You like a challenge? A potentially lethal one? A certainly dirty, fatiguing, and frustrating one?
Go for it! It'll be a long time before they invent a Robot that can take....responsibility....

Guess I'm a little different than some of our local whiners and complainers, only thing I can think of, if I had it to do all over again, I would ask the company to drop down a tire size, so I could pull overdrive better in a 13 spd.,
Come to think of it, we never had 13 spds, must have been something else.

Guess I'm a little different than some of our local whiners and complainers, only thing I can think of, if I had it to do all over again, I would ask the company to drop down a tire size, so I could pull overdrive better in a 13 spd.,
You kept shifting in and out of tenth 3 times???

You kept shifting in and out of tenth 3 times???
Also whats all this double clutching I've been hearing about? that one other pedal is the for the brakes, I've never seen a truck with 2 clutch pedals,...............................................................................actually had a guy I worked with say that to me, long ago.

Also whats all this double clutching I've been hearing about? that one other pedal is the for the brakes, I've never seen a truck with 2 clutch pedals,...............................................................................actually had a guy I worked with say that to me, long ago.

Must have moved him straight to management.

I m 20 , Male

Thanks in advance
You stutter, so what. If you had a conversation with me, you'd be saying what, what, what?? I speak my own language and tend to mumble. You can feel sorry for yourself, or you can go out there and not give a ::shit:: what people may think. I did dock and city deliveries for thirty-six years. It's a young mans job. I truly enjoyed the hard work. If I was starting out now, I would try to hire on with one of the big non-union carriers.

Last edited:
I m 20 , Male

Thanks in advance

Remember Mel Tillis? stuttered so bad, he couldn't say crap, with a mouthful, he was one of the top song writers and singers in Nashville, stuttering didn't hold him back.
Don't apologize for bad english, all of us on TB are english professors and lawyers and well- versed on most any
subject

Remember Mel Tillis? stuttered so bad, he couldn't say crap, with a mouthful, he was one of the top song writers and singers in Nashville, stuttering didn't hold him back.
Don't apologize for bad english, all of us on TB are english professors and lawyers and well- versed on most any
subject
Hell. I lose my train of speech while I'm talking. But then, you can't take the word of anybody that's been married three times. Lol. Don't let the fact that you stutter hold you back. Show me one person, man or woman, besides my wife, that is perfect.