Career Ending Operation???

Pro1driver how old are you?

it does matter.

well it's like this....

older than Racer, nearly a twin to God, in fact, many was a time, eon's ago, God and i would frequent the strip clubs...but he'd get too drunk, and play games, like make Moses part the Red Sea, or go straight to hell....

seriously.....

i'm "up there" in age......

I'm sorry you are having health problems, Pro1. I would definitely go for the disability. Some of us place way too much importance on working, to the point of never having the opportunity to stop and smell the roses, so to speak. Life is short. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for taking a few years to enjoy life after spending years working and paying in towards this.

I'm sorry you are having health problems, Pro1. I would definitely go for the disability. Some of us place way too much importance on working, to the point of never having the opportunity to stop and smell the roses, so to speak. Life is short. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for taking a few years to enjoy life after spending years working and paying in towards this.

thanks, and frankly.....i do not nor ever did feel "guilty".

i would really like to retire in good health, well as good as possible.

too many guys i knew from my past (former truckers) have died tired and broken down.

who had bad knee's, bad backs, crippled and hunched over, etc.

not me...hopefully.

i'm still waiting for the insurance company to approve the operation, i will be calling the lawyer next week, to see what the hell is taking so long for approval. he'll jump on'em..(already has for something else)

and speaking of roses, my ground planted red roses are budding, my newly bought Knock-Out roses in a planter, are already blooming pink flowers.

oh well, i just got some news. my safety manager and i met this evening, as he is in town and actually going to the place that i had worked out of to talk with the other guys. he had told me that the company will have to put me onto COBRA, and that he does not know the cost to me, but he will get together with the gal in the benefits office, and from there, she will email me the information. (i am as sure as can be, that she already has that information, and just waiting for his call).

i had been offered COBRA, many, many years ago and i know that it is expensive. BUT, i left my job then...this time, i am out on workman's comp.

the safety manager told me to contact the worker's comp insurance as there is usually "some way" that they can take over "some" of the cost. but i will call my lawyer's office first thing in the morning for some information.

i wish i hadn't gotten hurt, and that i do not need an operation. i do have to take prescription meds, (not injury related) and now with out health benefits (if i cannot afford COBRA), the sky high prices of those will kill me.

hey maybe...just maybe....i'll hit that Power Ball..then my situation will not be a bother to worry about.

then again..it's gonna rain tonight....i'll go stand outside....i'll probably have a better chance to get struck by lightning instead...

One little realized problem with going on comp is the loss of health insurance. Just the kick you need when you're down.

Check on getting a 90 day supply before going on COBRA. Tell the pharmacy you are taking an extended vacation. After that, go to the drug manufacturers web site and see if they offer assistance. Most do.

Guardrail

And sometimes the docs get batches of freebies to get patients started. Maybe your doc could help you out there too.

When my mother got ill I used the freebies and the assistance from the drug maker for a lot of her meds .....that does work.

oh well, i just got some news. my safety manager and i met this evening, as he is in town and actually going to the place that i had worked out of to talk with the other guys. he had told me that the company will have to put me onto COBRA, and that he does not know the cost to me, but he will get together with the gal in the benefits office, and from there, she will email me the information. (i am as sure as can be, that she already has that information, and just waiting for his call).

i had been offered COBRA, many, many years ago and i know that it is expensive. BUT, i left my job then...this time, i am out on workman's comp.

the safety manager told me to contact the worker's comp insurance as there is usually "some way" that they can take over "some" of the cost. but i will call my lawyer's office first thing in the morning for some information.

i wish i hadn't gotten hurt, and that i do not need an operation. i do have to take prescription meds, (not injury related) and now with out health benefits (if i cannot afford COBRA), the sky high prices of those will kill me..

That totally bites, stings and sucks that you're being placed on COBRA. (pun intended to lighten the mood)

Some companies allow you to pay a percentage of your current health care while on work comp, some only a year and than be placed on COBRA.
There is so much to consider prior to going for COBRA. (12 Weeks of FMLA time, Stipulations in companies insurance plan that might allow you to continue and pay a percentage of your health care costs etc.) Maybe you can ask your attorney to get more details.

Are you on maintenance drugs? Maybe you can get 90 day supplies before you have to take COBRA.

As far as Work Comp Insurance taking over "Some" of the cost of your insurance, let us know how that goes. I was always under the impression that they only pay for the injury you sustained at work along with paying you your TTD.

well it's like this....

older than Racer, nearly a twin to God, in fact, many was a time, eon's ago, God and i would frequent the strip clubs...but he'd get too drunk, and play games, like make Moses part the Red Sea, or go straight to hell....

seriously.....

i'm "up there" in age......

Well, you have been paying in all these years you might have to get some of your investment back. Ya gotta live with what is left to work with, no reason to destroy what is left. I'm still working, I'd rather my SS payments go to help you then someone who has never worked. You may need to try your hand at comedy when I win the lottery and build that new truck stop with the comedy club in it.

You will be in charge of the BS meter. I promise to over pay everyone.

first, thanks guys for your helpful responses.

now on to answer some of your comments.
One little realized problem with going on comp is the loss of health insurance. Just the kick you need when you're down.

and just last month, i had sent my company a check to cover me from the day i got injured, to, well June 10th, Tuesday of this week. frankly, i had thought that was all i was going to do, send them a "small" check each month to cover the costs, to keep my health benefits running. so as of right now...i have no health benefits.

Check on getting a 90 day supply before going on COBRA. Tell the pharmacy you are taking an extended vacation. After that, go to the drug manufacturers web site and see if they offer assistance. Most do.
Guardrail

as of right now, all my meds are strictly 30 day supplies. the health insurer only pays for 30 day supplies, i had tried for 90 days way back when, but was denied.

And sometimes the docs get batches of freebies to get patients started. Maybe your doc could help you out there too.
yes, he certainly has. the "freebies" are usually 5 or 10 days worth, and many times, he hasn't any available.

When my mother got ill I used the freebies and the assistance from the drug maker for a lot of her meds .....that does work.

well this time, i will have to try the manufacturer themselves. i tried that for my dad when he needed some medication and it was expensive, but wow...the questions they ask, and what they want of you in the way of too much personal information, it was daunting.

That totally bites, stings and sucks that you're being placed on COBRA. (pun intended to lighten the mood)

Some companies allow you to pay a percentage of your current health care while on work comp, some only a year and than be placed on COBRA.
There is so much to consider prior to going for COBRA. (12 Weeks of FMLA time, Stipulations in companies insurance plan that might allow you to continue and pay a percentage of your health care costs etc.) Maybe you can ask your attorney to get more details.

Are you on maintenance drugs? Maybe you can get 90 day supplies before you have to take COBRA.

As far as Work Comp Insurance taking over "Some" of the cost of your insurance, let us know how that goes. I was always under the impression that they only pay for the injury you sustained at work along with paying you your TTD.

some of what you say/ask, is answered above. it is early this AM, only 8 AM, so after about 9, i will call the lawyer and ask him (or his assistant) what can be done, if indeed workman's comp does "pick up some" of the cost of COBRA.. the calling of the workman's insurance company, was suggested by the safety manager, who said that i call the w/c ins. co, as he was told w/c insurance may be able to cover some of the costs...how true he is in saying that, heck, like any other company official....right..?? (frankly, though, i suspect that it will all be on me)

Well, you have been paying in all these years you might have to get some of your investment back. Ya gotta live with what is left to work with, no reason to destroy what is left. I'm still working, I'd rather my SS payments go to help you then someone who has never worked. You may need to try your hand at comedy when I win the lottery and build that new truck stop with the comedy club in it.

You will be in charge of the BS meter. I promise to over pay everyone.

been working a lot of years, for sure. either as a mechanic, or driver. way too many years. i think some of my "investment" went to pay people that milk the system, or never even needed any assistance.

as far as a comedy act..??

sometimes i gotta make a joke, out of life, circumstances, etc,etc. it's the only way i can handle the true aspect of life.

update...

i called the lawyer, left a message, he got back to me....

short answer is NO, the workers comp insurance is not obligated in my state to help pay part of the cost of COBRA.

he said, he'd like to know where my safety manager got that idea...

since the lawyer left a message on my machine....

i simply could not tell him....."typical BS from a trucking company".....

so now, i'll have to wait till i get information on how much the cost of COBRA will be.

as it is now, my health benefits were...well let's just say......crap.....now i'll have to pay for crap, just to keep up with some sort of health benefits, so that if i need to see my doctor(s) or get my meds, i'll have some sort of coverage.

dammit....i wish i had not gotten hurt, to the point that i need this operation...

Last edited by a moderator:
Update....!!!

I just got a call from the nurse case manager at the insurance company.

I have been certified for surgery....!!!!.....:woot2:

Now, all I have to do is call the doctor's office tomorrow morning, and see when this will take place.

I was told however, that sometimes there are "doctor's fee's" (which I do not pay), that if I do not get an appointment when I call, that could be an issue, as the fee's (if any) have to be taken care of first..

But, if all is good, then wow......I get to be cut open....!!!!!....:woot2:

Frankly, I was going to call someone this week, since my appointment was with the surgeon back on the 29th of May. Since i was told (by the doctor, and nurse case manager) it can "be a while", until I get any word, I held off.

So HIP-HIP-HOORAY.....:kicking:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Luck Pro1. Hope your recovery goes well and stay on top of the Physical Therapy sessions.
Keep us updated.

thanks, and i will post an update or two. God only knows the time i'll have to be here.

I just got a call from the nurse case manager at the insurance company.

I have been certified for surgery....!!!!.....:woot2:

Now, all I have to do is call the doctor's office tomorrow morning, and see when this will take place.

I was told however, that sometimes there are "doctor's fee's" (which I do not pay), that if I do not get an appointment when I call, that could be an issue, as the fee's (if any) have to be taken care of first..

But, if all is good, then wow......I get to be cut open....!!!!!....:woot2:

Frankly, I was going to call someone this week, since my appointment was with the surgeon back on the 29th of May. Since i was told (by the doctor, and nurse case manager) it can "be a while", until I get any word, I held off.

So HIP-HIP-HOORAY.....:kicking:

Good luck with your surgery and hopefully a full recovery to normal..As far as Workers comp goes there should be no fees as long as you keep your appt's.. including the scheduled surgery.. I have been through this for five years and have never heard of "fee's" up front.. Again 'good luck'...

Good luck with your surgery and hopefully a full recovery to normal..As far as Workers comp goes there should be no fees as long as you keep your appt's.. including the scheduled surgery.. I have been through this for five years and have never heard of "fee's" up front.. Again 'good luck'...

the fee's (if any) will not be my responsibility, but the worker's comp responsibility, i think i had mentioned that (when i said i do not pay). the nurse case manager said "sometimes" there are fee's, that need to be taken care of, before any surgery appointment can be made. when i call the office after 9 this morning, i will find out more.

thank you for the well wishes.

Aarrrggghhh.........

well i called the doctor's office a while ago.

any of you ever been on the "phone merry go-round"....???

well the "surgical coordinator" was at a different office location when i called, and that's when the merry-go-round started...

i just gave up.

got my best blue jeans and t-shirt on....

drove all of 2 miles to the doctor's office....

the gals there cannot set up appointments, so i have to call Friday morning to talk with this guy.

but i did tell the gal to leave him a note, that i will call Friday, and that as far as the surgery goes, the first full week in July works for me, like the 8th, 9th, 10th...

i love "the phone merry-go-round"....

i'm just glad, that in my state....

i can just throw a stone, to any of the doctor's office's that i have to go to......

as long as that stone don't hit no one......:LMAO:

An interesting update indeed......

Ok, so I got hold of the surgical coordinator at my doctor's office today.

we are trying to set up the surgery for July, so I'll have to go before that date (to be determined) and have pre-op testing...
*****************************************************************************************
Ok..now "the interesting" update to this day...

I got a call from a driver temp agency. One that i had been getting calls from before by the way, but never contacted them for any information, and he tells me, his company bought out another temp agency, that I DID apply to, so they got my name from that list..>!!!

I told the guy that my current employer, may not take me back due to my injury and impending operation.

He of course said he was sorry to hear this.

I told him I "might" be able to go back to work around November.

I also told him I got just over 26 years in now......what did he say then...???

He said, come on in, any time during your recovery, when you can, update your application, then when you are ready for work....let's get going..>!!!!

How da hell about that..???

Now of course, if the doctor says that I cannot drive anymore....then all bets are off...

But hey......

talk about luck.....