Yellow | Career in Trucking - Semi-Trucks of the 1950's

I miss those old days.

It was really really straight forward. A relative was in trucking after surviving redball hauling gasoline for patton priority. Then hauled gasoline later in Cumberland etc. He finally ended his time running small truck loads under contract to uncle sam before deregulation. What stopped him was someone stole his rig, his load and everything. That put him out of business by morning. We are fortunate Uncle Sam did not prosecute him assuming they found the load. It was so incredibly important.

That ripped his soul out of him. What was left of his grey aging husk of a shrinking dispirit demoralized body and mind was dead in two years. It would be the same as if the thief just shot him. It would have been better. They hurt him.

I was being groomed for doubles hauling with was in those days relatively simple. However I had too much wanderlust that young and intended to see all of north America. Maybe even Alaska overland delivering loads.

What the industry has become today with overregulating, clearinghouse, excessive micromanaging by hissy fit dispatch who were not born when I got my class A and so on combined with all of the medical challenges and BS imposed by Uncle Sam and shippers, recievers etc. leaves very little left to enjoy.

Breakfast at whites with all the trimmings, Lunch in Annapolis for seafood and finishing at the Secondi for a proper yankee dinner served just so and a night of fun developing after.

Those were the days.

Today to stop for 20 minutes anywhere incurs you a stack of messages

Call me.

You are being sanctioned for not moving.

You are being written up formally for violating this that or other.

Please, stop. I cannot be bothered by pompous managers who have never touched a truck in their life rotting behind a desk drinking like a fish and smoking like a chimney because they have to wait a hour on the likes of me taking care of human needs in trucking.

The last time they did that, I left the truck near yankee stadium and took the train home in a few minutes. A few days the phone rang. They wanted me to pay 80000 dollars for the stripped tractor, 20000 dollars for a destroyed trailer and about 110,000 for a lost load.

Not my problem the minute I quit with a legally parked 18 wheeler everything is the managers problem. All that for some stupid 20 minutes eating a meal in a hurry. They did hit me with abandonment etc. Whatever, it really had no impact.

Last edited:
I miss those old days.

It was really really straight forward. A relative was in trucking after surviving redball hauling gasoline for patton priority.
My Dad was in the Red Ball Express in WWII. That was probably why he started his own 2-3 truck company later in his life.

His owning trucks is why I became a driver. I drove for him on weekends, over summer vacation, and some after school. Went to work for him soon as I graduated and it was clear I wasn't being drafted for VietNam.