ABF | Carlisle Terminal

Peterbuiltpete

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello I have a friend who is in the process of being hired in Carlisle as a road driver... what can he expect....does abf have call blocks or 24/7 on call..... how long till he can get a road bid or dock bid/city....is it going to be a lot of hotel time ....is the pension any good...any chance of actually getting something....asking for a fellow teamster..thanks

Hello I have a friend who is in the process of being hired in Carlisle as a road driver... what can he expect....does abf have call blocks or 24/7 on call..... how long till he can get a road bid or dock bid/city....is it going to be a lot of hotel time ....is the pension any good...any chance of actually getting something....asking for a fellow teamster..thanks
Have your friend ask less questions, & just observe. He will find out everything he needs sitting in the break room waiting for his dispatch. Once he has worked 1 full day past his 30 day probation period, then he can ask all he wants. Keep a low profile until you are a made man with ABF. Things will go a little smoother. Also remind him their are rank & file union men & women who report to management what they see & hear. Know you friends & you will know your enemies. vovn.

Have your friend ask less questions, & just observe. He will find out everything he needs sitting in the break room waiting for his dispatch. Once he has worked 1 full day past his 30 day probation period, then he can ask all he wants. Keep a low profile until you are a made man with ABF. Things will go a little smoother. Also remind him their are rank & file union men & women who report to management what they see & hear. Know you friends & you will know your enemies. vovn.
how true.

Why did he not ask these questions himself during hiring process? None of them seem unreasonable.

Why did he not ask these questions himself during hiring process? None of them seem unreasonable.

That's true,......And any company taking umbrage at a prospective employee asking these common-sense questions,.....would be a company to avoid with the proverbial 10-foot pole.

Unfortunately,....many companies don't have the greatest reputation for honesty and transparency,....especially trucking. Not saying ABF hiring personnel ain't honest,......They're just being painted with the same,....justified,....tar-brush that most other companies have earned.......

Bro.Von's advice is best. If you didn't get the answers at the hiring process,....or just need a contrast between what management says, and what is.......
......Then just sit back, do what you're asked, keep your ears open, and mouth shut..........

30 days is a very short time in what could be a 30 year career.......

That's true,......And any company taking umbrage at a prospective employee asking these common-sense questions,.....would be a company to avoid with the proverbial 10-foot pole.

Unfortunately,....many companies don't have the greatest reputation for honesty and transparency,....especially trucking. Not saying ABF hiring personnel ain't honest,......They're just being painted with the same,....justified,....tar-brush that most other companies have earned.......

Bro.Von's advice is best. If you didn't get the answers at the hiring process,....or just need a contrast between what management says, and what is.......
......Then just sit back, do what you're asked, keep your ears open, and mouth shut..........

30 days is a very short time in what could be a 30 year career.......
Agree to a point,C, but the break room circus gets to most everyone.

As an applicant to a company, I would do as much research BEFORE I applied. Before I applied to ABF, in the late summer of 1998, I talked with 5 ABF city board drivers on the street. And not 1 driver bad mouthed the company. They all had positive things to say. I applied @ CF & ABF 2 days apart. ABF called first & the rest is history. ABF was & is not without problems. But, it was the best trucking company LTL or truckload I have ever worked @. von.

As an applicant to a company, I would do as much research BEFORE I applied. Before I applied to ABF, in the late summer of 1998, I talked with 5 ABF city board drivers on the street. And not 1 driver bad mouthed the company. They all had positive things to say. I applied @ CF & ABF 2 days apart. ABF called first & the rest is history. ABF was & is not without problems. But, it was the best trucking company LTL or truckload I have ever worked @. von.
Every situation is different. Believe this or not, but the TM at the ABF terminal in the same town where I started with Roadway, offered me a city job with them, because he knew I did my job very well. I turned him down, and stayed at Roadway with only 2 years seniority. Best job I ever had, until Zollars showed up.

Every situation is different. Believe this or not, but the TM at the ABF terminal in the same town where I started with Roadway, offered me a city job with them, because he knew I did my job very well. I turned him down, and stayed at Roadway with only 2 years seniority. Best job I ever had, until Zollars showed up.

So you could have been known as "BIG A GUY"? Wow, close call!! :bananapartyhat:

Supermarket checkout personnel.......Bank robbers........Ugly people.......People looking at Ugly people........

And our own Big R Guy,.....who wishes to remain anonymous in the high-stakes, publicity-fraught occupation that LTL has evolved into........

oA2C6jh.jpg