Carolina Freight History

Jeff

Looking for Trolls
Administrator
Super Administrator
Credits
Company History: Carolina Freight Corporation is the holding company for several general freight trucking operations. The combined revenue of Carolina Freight's major operating subsidiaries puts the corporation among the ten largest motor carriers in the United States. These subsidiaries include Carolina Freight Carriers Corporation, G.I. Trucking Company, Red Arrow Freight Lines, Inc., Cardinal Freight Carriers, Inc., and Complete Leasing Concepts, Inc. Carolina Freight Carriers accounts for over three quarters of the company's revenue. Three of these companies--Carolina, G.I., and Red Arrow--are primarily less-than-truckload (LTL) carriers. LTL refers to cargo shipments of less than 10,000 pounds, or one quarter of the actual capacity of most van trailers. LTL operations consolidate these smaller shipments into full trailer loads using a system of centrally located terminals. Carolina Freight Corporation (CFC) also provides international service as a non-vessel operating common carrier. By working in tandem with other companies, particularly ocean carriers, CFC serves over 120 countries, consolidating shipments into containers that are transportable by ocean vessels and sending them on combined freight bills to agents in the receiving countries. CFC operates subsidiaries in Canada and Mexico--Carolina Freight Canada, Ltd., and Carolina Freight de Mexico, S.A. de C.V.--and maintains a branch office in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. The entire CFC operation transported 3.8 million tons of freight in 6.4 million shipments over 240 million intercity miles in 1991. The company's fleet consists of over 4,000 tractors, more than 12,000 trailers, and 181 trucks. read more......

CAROLINA FREIGHT CORPORATION -- Company History

Company History: Carolina Freight Corporation is the holding company for several general freight trucking operations. The combined revenue of Carolina Freight's major operating subsidiaries puts the corporation among the ten largest motor carriers in the United States. These subsidiaries include Carolina Freight Carriers Corporation, G.I. Trucking Company, Red Arrow Freight Lines, Inc., Cardinal Freight Carriers, Inc., and Complete Leasing Concepts, Inc. Carolina Freight Carriers accounts for over three quarters of the company's revenue. Three of these companies--Carolina, G.I., and Red Arrow--are primarily less-than-truckload (LTL) carriers. LTL refers to cargo shipments of less than 10,000 pounds, or one quarter of the actual capacity of most van trailers. LTL operations consolidate these smaller shipments into full trailer loads using a system of centrally located terminals. Carolina Freight Corporation (CFC) also provides international service as a non-vessel operating common carrier. By working in tandem with other companies, particularly ocean carriers, CFC serves over 120 countries, consolidating shipments into containers that are transportable by ocean vessels and sending them on combined freight bills to agents in the receiving countries. CFC operates subsidiaries in Canada and Mexico--Carolina Freight Canada, Ltd., and Carolina Freight de Mexico, S.A. de C.V.--and maintains a branch office in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. The entire CFC operation transported 3.8 million tons of freight in 6.4 million shipments over 240 million intercity miles in 1991. The company's fleet consists of over 4,000 tractors, more than 12,000 trailers, and 181 trucks. read more......

CAROLINA FREIGHT CORPORATION -- Company History
Thanks Jeff worked for them for 13 years till abf bought them,very good company and Mr. Beam knew how to treat the employees."nuff said and good night

Thanks Jeff worked for them for 13 years till abf bought them,very good company and Mr. Beam knew how to treat the employees."nuff said and good night
I applied with them right before they were sold to ABF but never heard back

While I was a teamster in New Jersey I used to shape Carolina in jersey city and carlstadt,I always enjoyed working for them,I shaped many jobs when I had no work At Wards.

A lot of ABF employees didn't like it either. Many lost their jobs and/or seniority.
That's very true hurt feelings both sides, I was at CFCC from'82 till "95 left because no linehaul with out moving. Went in different direction into carhaul which I will step out of in 1 more year. Happy to retire soon

All of ABF's major purchases, Navajo, ETMF & Worldway/Carolina resulted in ABF employees seniority being dovetailed with the employees of the company being bought. Yes, there was a lot of resentment from employees of all companies involved in the acquisitions. I saw a lot of equipment intentionally damaged by disgruntled employees.

Oh yeah I hear ya Doc I remember one night I was waiting for my set to get hooked and fueled thought I would go over and talk to the guys in the shop. they had about 10 trl's in the shop I asked what's up with all these? they said some body had a door cable cutting contest, all loaded waiting to get to the dock that's the way they came in from another terminal STUPID

youre lucky-- real jerks to work for in the east

I ran with those guys out of Cherryville, from Charl. to Fla., from the 50s till PIE folded in 1990, you seldom
heard any of them bad mouth their company.
I know you have discontent in every crowd, but most liked their job.
Sad to see that outfit gone, like many of the others.
BTW, Associated was a good outfit, although we couldn't run with their ragged old Browns.

youre lucky-- real jerks to work for in the east
58R9gCU.jpg

AT, I'll bet you never drove one of these.

Oh yeah I hear ya Doc I remember one night I was waiting for my set to get hooked and fueled thought I would go over and talk to the guys in the shop. they had about 10 trl's in the shop I asked what's up with all these? they said some body had a door cable cutting contest, all loaded waiting to get to the dock that's the way they came in from another terminal STUPID

I remember a hostler that lost some seniority with the ETMF acquisition would set the parking brakes then rev up the engine & pop the clutch with the transmission in 10th gear. He cost the company thousands of dollars in broken drivelines, transmissions differentials & clutches. He only showed his stupidity & accomplished nothing. He lost what little respect he had with fellow Teamsters.

I remember a hostler that lost some seniority with the ETMF acquisition would set the parking brakes then rev up the engine & pop the clutch with the transmission in 10th gear. He cost the company thousands of dollars in broken drivelines, transmissions differentials & clutches. He only showed his stupidity & accomplished nothing. He lost what little respect he had with fellow Teamsters.

I guess every company has some of these, saw a guy put it in high gear before starting engine with clutch out, held the starter button down and burned up the starter, this took at least 5 minutes.
Our company was too lenient on these guys, they would cut headliners, stole 200 bulldogs off the Macks before
they were a month old.
Drill holes in Detroit governors, put stingers in Cummins, same bunch were doing this and very seldom got
caught.
Most of this group were out of Atl.