Holland | Casuals

Fr8peddler

TB Lurker
Credits
I was wondering if other terminals are using alot of dock casuals? Are they using them as a a 4 hour casual or dock casual and do you have a dock bid at your barn?

Our barn is calling them dock casuals and said there is no such thing as the 4 hour casual anymore but when I look at the contract casuals are guaranteed 6 hours pay but they are only working them 4 to 5 hours a day. Supposedly the new contract allows them to be dock casuals but we do not even have straight dock bids.

I was wondering if other terminals are using alot of dock casuals? Are they using them as a a 4 hour casual or dock casual and do you have a dock bid at your barn?
Just remember you guys sold your souls for 4 dollars. No overtime. No pension. I don't want to hear the crying, I tried to warn people. But all I heard was it's the largest raise ever. Whoop dee do. Just one more step in breaking the union and it only cost YRC 4 dollars an hour. Live with it. I'm retired.

Our barn is calling them dock casuals and said there is no such thing as the 4 hour casual anymore but when I look at the contract casuals are guaranteed 6 hours pay but they are only working them 4 to 5 hours a day. Supposedly the new contract allows them to be dock casuals but we do not even have straight dock bids.

Just remember you guys sold your souls for 4 dollars. No overtime. No pension. I don't want to hear the crying, I tried to warn people. But all I heard was it's the largest raise ever. Whoop dee do. Just one more step in breaking the union and it only cost YRC 4 dollars an hour. Live with it. I'm retired.

I was a no vote. I'm just trying to figure out how to fight the battle with the resources. It seems like we would need dock bids to run dock casuals. Unless they wanted to classify them as 4 hour casuals. For some reason they think there was a dock casual position that was made with the new contract but I dont see any language that supports that idea.

All dock casuals have to pay union dues. If one works over 4 hours the company will have to pay for 6 hours. If they work over 6 they have to pay for 8. We just went through this at our terminal.

Thanks Kev kev. Do you have full time dock positions at your barn? Our barn is small so we do not have a full time dock worker bid but they bring in casuals on the closing shift at 5:00pm till outbound is done which is around 9:00-9:30pm. I start at 11:00pm and they hired a bunch of these casuals so our OT is getting cut. I was hoping to use the 6 hour guarantee against them because they can't bring them in earlier because there is nothing to do. I will give our Business Agent a call and maybee it will push the casuals out. Do you mind if I ask what terminal you work at? Thanks again for the post and I think if we all work together and share info on Trucking Boards we can beat this company a bit.

Ok so we are a small barn to no full time dock guys. So the rule on casuals is they can start with an 8 hours shift or finish with a shift. We have a 12 start time so our dock guys can only work until 8:30 at night. That would be the end of that shift. So if you have a 10 start time only your dock guys can only work until 6:30 at night if they go past that they are past there 4 hours then they have to pay them 6 hours. Your steward should be filling on this. I am the steward at my barn. I hope this helps you

I have to go straight to BA. I gathered all the casuals rules together and printed them out for my steward. Then explained it to him so I guess he is either in bed with the boss or just to busy fooling around, joking, and telling lies about what they used to do back in the day. Not the best steward for us.

I was a no vote. I'm just trying to figure out how to fight the battle with the resources. It seems like we would need dock bids to run dock casuals. Unless they wanted to classify them as 4 hour casuals. For some reason they think there was a dock casual position that was made with the new contract but I dont see any language that supports that idea.
Resources? What resources? If you have a 100 man city board I would bet every time you never had more than 20% of your fellow union members show up @ the monthly meeting. Unless food was served. Then you might have 25% show. If you can't get your fellow 'dock workers' to go to a union meeting, be convinced you be the only one traversing the road named 'I really care about my union & job work rules'. It is a harsh reality. The 18 years I spent @ ABF was the same way. I think we averaged about 15 % showing up for the monthly freight meeting. Good luck. von.

Sadly very true. Maybee the few that still do care need to communicate with each other through platforms like truckingboards. Different barns need to see what the company is trying to pull and by sharing info we can better our barns.

At one time, in the Central States Local Cartage supplement, any time the company “supplements” 4 days a week 3 weeks in a row, they owe you a bid.

Sadly very true. Maybee the few that still do care need to communicate with each other through platforms like truckingboards. Different barns need to see what the company is trying to pull and by sharing info we can better our barns.
The second most important reason I went to my monthly freight meetings is the breakfast buffet I would hit on the way to the Hall. Biscuits & Gravy, crispy Hash Browns, Eggs OM, unlimited Bacon or Sausage, Muffins, & finally, Coffee. I will admit, some meetings I could hardly stand for the National Anthem. For I had spent to much time @ the buffet. von.

The second most important reason I went to my monthly freight meetings is the breakfast buffet I would hit on the way to the Hall. Biscuits & Gravy, crispy Hash Browns, Eggs OM, unlimited Bacon or Sausage, Muffins, & finally, Coffee. I will admit, some meetings I could hardly stand for the National Anthem. For I had spent to much time @ the buffet. von.
You may have a career in the NFL.. No worry, all elected Democrats will support your as long as you insult America..