Estes | Catagory system is a joke.

In the words of the wise old owl, Junior Johnson, "If it were left up to me, there would be no linehaul or hub runs, everyone would be extraboard"...

In the words of the wise old owl, Junior Johnson, "If it were left up to me, there would be no linehaul or hub runs, everyone would be extraboard"...
Ive got another name for Mr Johnson but i will refrain. I think it should be road and city. Just my opinion

Yeah, for the ppl saying it's fine to keep hub and line haul separate really are stupid or POS. XTRA board an combo can roll that time into lh, as long as your rolling time into a different category it should be applied equally across the board... A driver who has been here 5-10-25 yrs decides they want a different "classified run" shpuld not have to start from the bottom, you should never have to move backwards to move up in a company. For 5-10-25 yrs of service to mean nothing is unacceptable. There's 5 classifications for drivers, you really wanna trust estes to keep "accurate" account of ppls time in different classifications. I just transferred and the TM had to ask me when I started lh, I could've said its all lh time. I was at 027 they just got 11 day time runs guys who been there 3 weeks just happened to be hired as combo, should there time count above the hub driver who worked 5-10-25 yrs? Hub driver worked dock in -10 degree weather and he will always be behind guy w/ 3 weeks of time. Thats a joke, and if you still think lh/hub should be seperated your a joke. Change to term to just lh or whatever...

Good day.

i like not working the dock, went through xtra to not work the dock. all the hub guys i know chose hub. i'm in this lane, gonna stay in this lane and not jump to another and wait longer. i understand you think i'm stupid and a pos but most linehaul guys dont wanna work city or dock. its nice being linehaul. i did my time on xtra and i would again to stay off city and hub. almost every city hub driver says they would never do xtra. i think it takes stupid pos to do xtra linehaul. and it takes really smart people to do hub city. if estes ever decides to force all of us to work city/dock then i'll have to look at other options. i hope i wouldn't be mad at drivers.

I've never bid on a hub run because I never wanted to work the dock. The categories were set up this way when I came to work here. I spent a lot of time on extraboard away from my family when I could've bid on a hub run and worked the dock.

If you want to work somewhere that does things differently, there are lots of places that do. For those of us who did our time on the road and didn't voluntarily choose a category that they didn't want to be in, we're just fine with the way things are.

I've never bid on a hub run because I never wanted to work the dock. The categories were set up this way when I came to work here. I spent a lot of time on extraboard away from my family when I could've bid on a hub run and worked the dock.

If you want to work somewhere that does things differently, there are lots of places that do. For those of us who did our time on the road and didn't voluntarily choose a category that they didn't want to be in, we're just fine with the way things are.

i like not working the dock, went through xtra to not work the dock. all the hub guys i know chose hub. i'm in this lane, gonna stay in this lane and not jump to another and wait longer. i understand you think i'm stupid and a pos but most linehaul guys dont wanna work city or dock. its nice being linehaul. i did my time on xtra and i would again to stay off city and hub. almost every city hub driver says they would never do xtra. i think it takes stupid pos to do xtra linehaul. and it takes really smart people to do hub city. if estes ever decides to force all of us to work city/dock then i'll have to look at other options. i hope i wouldn't be mad at drivers.

I think it's a little disingenuous to say you picked you picked what you wanted I picked what I wanted. Fact is some of us were hired into a hub category as a hub driver w/ no options at your terminal to go anywhere, yeah you put your time in on xtra board and some ppl out there time in as hub working dock in cold weather etc... Plus even back than hub time was just hub time but xtra board lets you roll time into lh. The whole ME and I And thats what YOU did, is an argument that doesn't hold weight, its a me me me mentality, ill just wait another yr maybe 2 when they merge the 2 together.

Extraboard time doesn't roll into linehaul. Extraboard is linehaul.

If they do decide to make hub time count towards linehaul, it'll likely be the way they did the combo classification. Only time accrued since the rule change will count. I think the day it started counting was July 1 2013. Can't remember for sure because it didn't affect me.

Yeah

If they do decide to make hub time count towards linehaul, it'll likely be the way they did the combo classification. Only time accrued since the rule change will count. I think the day it started counting was July 1 2013. Can't remember for sure because it didn't affect me.

Yeah good point, but combo / utility aren't dedicated runs, that is like estes though try to fix a problem that still causes a problem, the writing is on the wall hub 5yrs ago was 3 and a half cpm behind now there only 1.5 cpm. Once there caught up completely thats when theyll likely merge it all. But Will see.

I think it's a little disingenuous to say you picked you picked what you wanted I picked what I wanted.
How people feel about the category system is debatable,but calling people that dont share your perspective stupid or a pos is pretty disingenuous in itself.You can share the way you feel without calling your coworkers,most of which you probably dont even know,childish names.Sounds like your problem is with established company policy,not your fellow drivers.
If I were a new hire wanting a linehaul job but could only get a hub job,one of my questions would be is linehaul seniority accrued through the hub.Then I would act accordingly to take the job or not.I guess that,s just the stupidity coming out in me,though.

How people feel about the category system is debatable,but calling people that dont share your perspective stupid or a pos is pretty disingenuous in itself.You can share the way you feel without calling your coworkers,most of which you probably dont even know,childish names.Sounds like your problem is with established company policy,not your fellow drivers.
If I were a new hire wanting a linehaul job but could only get a hub job,one of my questions would be is linehaul seniority accrued through the hub.Then I would act accordingly to take the job or not.I guess that,s just the stupidity coming out in me,though.

Thats def fair assessment, I was wrong to use stupid or pos to to describe ppl I disagree w/. And your right it is debatable. What a hub driver does is exactly the same thing as line haul plus they work dock, when ppl say "if you don't like get a new job" thats irratating, you don't just quit a job, if you want fair treatment for the same job you voice your opinion for change

If a guy or gal has 10-20 year at the company its MORE than fair to say that person has paid more dues than someone that's been here 5. I say make it 2 boards city / linehaul BID the runs by true seniority. Will it suck for some, I'm sure but dues paid is dues paid... just saying....

That said i have no issues with the way they do it now, but IMO it would be better to break it down to 2 boards..

i think hub should get paid the same cpm. when people start saying stuff like paying dues or its not all about you its about us and dont tell me to leave if i dont like it- sounds like a union circle. if estes does something that crosses the line for me, im outta here. that's how it works. if the market in your area doesnt give you that option, move. and if you cant move, just be happy you got a job. im not on your team, im on estes team. whether the boards merge or not or they pay us to wait/fuel or not, i chose to work here under these conditions for my family not yours. im not against you and im not a estes cheerleader. i know of companies that dont make drivers work the dock city besides estes and i know of companies that do make em work the dock city.

I bet all those guys who have had hub runs for the past 20 years have had at least 1 or 2 opportunities to go to the extraboard.

It's real easy to do things one way for years and then complain about it later on when it doesn't suit you anymore. Everyone who runs the hub knows their time doesn't count towards linehaul. Continuing to run the hub is a choice, not a sentence.

If I hired in as a hub driver because there were no extraboard opportunities available, I would've jumped at the first chance to go extraboard.

Well I could write a book on this subject, but no need to I left Estes for the very reason they do not know what they want to do, you wanna be like Fed Ex, or you wanna be like Estes used to be, well we got screwed on linehaul years ago and that is when I should have left, but I am where they have Road AND City and am much happier now, I do thank BIg E for teaching me Dock work, even though I pretty much figured it out myself, sorry guys but to much all about ME at Estes and who gives a crap about anyone else, Well I dont deal with that anymore.

I bet all those guys who have had hub runs for the past 20 years have had at least 1 or 2 opportunities to go to the extraboard.

It's real easy to do things one way for years and then complain about it later on when it doesn't suit you anymore. Everyone who runs the hub knows their time doesn't count towards linehaul. Continuing to run the hub is a choice, not a sentence.

If I hired in as a hub driver because there were no extraboard opportunities available, I would've jumped at the first chance to go extraboard.
I've learned that most people here don't start fussing about seniority or categories until new line haul bids start coming up,then it's a big deal. Go figure.

i get that whining all the time about class and time. you knew the system if you read the handbook.i was told if you want a bid run in linehaul, dont change classes. quit your whining and remember, the grass aint always greener on the other side. i dont like the dock. to much political garbage. im a driver not a dockworker. and the city is another story. i worked that class and you can have that. to many rude and unpolite people to deal with

Depending on what terminal your out of. Some terminals gave drivers their se
i get that whining all the time about class and time. you knew the system if you read the handbook.i was told if you want a bid run in linehaul, dont change classes. quit your whining and remember, the grass aint always greener on the other side. i dont like the dock. to much political garbage. im a driver not a dockworker. and the city is another story. i worked that class and you can have that. to many rude and unpolite people to deal with
what do you think about hub runs that don't work the dock? Or 500+ mile runs that are lean but made hub because at the bottom of the bid it says "work the dock one hour if needed". when your a guy hired off the street for extra board and they tell you what the category system is all about and then don't follow their own rules.

Depending on what terminal your out of. Some terminals gave drivers their se

what do you think about hub runs that don't work the dock? Or 500+ mile runs that are lean but made hub because at the bottom of the bid it says "work the dock one hour if needed". when your a guy hired off the street for extra board and they tell you what the category system is all about and then don't follow their own rules.
They have other short hub runs that get back just before or at the same time that one does why wasn't it made a line haul run they have plenty of hub drivers to take that "one hour if needed". I've taken this up the ladder it got me no where they do whatever they want the integrity of the system is a joke.