ODFL | CB radio suggestions?

The way that system works it won't tell you about a jackknifed semi blocking both lanes of I-25 somewhere in Wyoming at 2 AM.
Probably not.But,around here it has warned me of accidents & backups.Big improvement over the old Live Traffic Alert.I took the radio out because of the Crazy's out there.My blood pressure go's up and afraid I would say the wrong thing to someone and get shot in the process.lol

Reactions: Ump
Probably not.But,around here it has warned me of accidents & backups.Big improvement over the old Live Traffic Alert.I took the radio out because of the Crazy's out there.My blood pressure go's up and afraid I would say the wrong thing to someone and get shot in the process.lol
:cuss:Go for it buddy...Your the bionic man now. Just turn the other check, so to speak!

I got a cobra classic in my truck so when I'm sitting at the grocery dock waiting to get unloaded, I tell the OTR drivers how f'ing stupid they are taking 60 times to back up into a spot.

Works good. Most truckers are so stupid these days they don't know where the motivational encouragement is coming from.

I got a cobra classic in my truck so when I'm sitting at the grocery dock waiting to get unloaded, I tell the OTR drivers how f'ing stupid they are taking 60 times to back up into a spot
Works good. Most truckers are so stupid these days they don't know where the motivational encouragement is coming from.
:1904::lmao:

I'm guessing you are rolling in a FL Cascadia, at least that is what i see OD rolling around in my parts. The factory setup up is complete junk. The only functional part is the power connections (may still attract noise). Any unmolested CB will do. Forget about trying to ground the cab of the tractor or running long lengths of ground cable. Build you a counterpoise antenna set up (some call it a dipole, semantics aside, if your google is not broke you will find it) that will bolt up to the drivers side mirror using a two bolt bracket. Run your own coax, either thru the door, or find a rubber grommet on the firewall if you have a semi-permanent tractor assignment. If there is a factory mounted antenna just aft of the driver on the cab corner, remove it while running your own setup. Any top load antenna in excess of five feet (with no more than a slight slant of less than twenty degrees forward) will make due. The cb has been a crucial God send on many a day when I have been on a tight schedule. Traffic alerts and a heads up of proper lane to be in due to breakdown or accident, and suggestions of possible detours. I take the goofballs broadcasting as free entertainment, and have had much knowledge of the trucking industry graced to me via the cb.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you are rolling in a FL Cascadia, at least that is what i see OD rolling around in my parts. Any CB will do. Forget about trying to ground the cab of the tractor or running long lengths of ground cable. Build you a counterpoise antenna set up (some call it a dipole, semantics aside, if your google is not broke you will find it) that will bolt up to the drivers side mirror using a two bolt bracket. Run your own coax, either thru the door, or find a rubber grommet on the firewall if you have a semi-permanent tractor assignment. If there is a factory mounted antenna just aft of the driver on the cab corner, remove it while running your own setup. Any top load antenna in excess of five feet (with no more than a slight slant of less than twenty degrees forward) will make due. The cb has been a crucial god send on many a day when I have been on a tight schedule. Traffic alerts and a heads up of proper lane to be in due to breakdown or accident, and suggestions of possible detours. I take the goofballs broadcasting as free entertainment, and have had much knowledge of the trucking industry graced to me via the cb.
Well,cqn tell you don't work for OD.If a driver did what you are saying we would be looking for another job.Not much a driver can do with OD Equipment.Most slip seat and cannot mess with truck's.Best we can do does depend on how much money a driver wants to spend on electronic equipment.

My antenna array comes off and on daily. Not a permanent modification. Unscrew two torx bolts, re-apply, tug on coax cable, and you are done.

My antenna array comes off and on daily. Not a permanent modification. Unscrew two torx bolts, re-apply, tug on coax cable, and you are done.
Great Idea and not knocking it.But,if we are caught modifying anything like taking out the two mirror mount screws we can be fired.OD has added a mount on all the new tractors over the years that is attached to mirror.Works very well if you do it right.Most don't even worry about a SWR reading.Just hook & go.

Great Idea and not knocking it.But,if we are caught modifying anything like taking out the two mirror mount screws we can be fired.OD has added a mount on all the new tractors over the years that is attached to mirror.Works very well if you do it right.Most don't even worry about a SWR reading.Just hook & go.

I would love to see a picture of this "mount".

I would love to see a picture of this "mount".
Just a long round stainless piece that is screwed in one of the mirrors screw mount.They remove one screw & replace with the mount.They are installed at Freightliner now.The Volvo's have one mounted on the top mount of the right side mirror.

This sounds like a single perch mount. Is the antenna lug and the coax cable company provided? Is there room to put another slim antenna lug mount on the bar. If so, counterpoise is possible.

serveimage
serveimage
89L1fHKh.jpg
Nnkqt0Oh.jpg

Last edited:
This sounds like a single perch mount. Is the antenna lug and the coax cable company provided? Is there room to put another slim antenna lug mount on the bar. If so, counterpoise is possible.

serveimage
serveimage
89L1fHKh.jpg
Nnkqt0Oh.jpg
The same mount.Some drivers will have shop mount it on drivers side.Thought that is what you was doing.Thos works great and has been done for years.You can get the same result with adding a ground plane kit to the ANTENNA.My original response was messed up so I deleted.Its all about placement of antenna.Problem with all new vehicles are there is no ground.So you have to ground yourself.

I hook mine up to the truck, no modification of any kind, and have had no problems communicating with other drivers. Run a Freightliner Cascadia with factory antennas.

The Cascadias problems with CB are well documented. It has been my expierence that every Cascadia is different. I have been talking to some one in my line of sight ahead, and completely lost their signal with the stock setup. The noise levels require the squelch to be run high. Best range I could get was one to two miles. After setting up said name setup, when atmospheres are favorable, I have made contact to a drivers ten miles ahead. I run the squelch off, and only hear white noise. Only time I hear static is by power lines or at a traffic light and in the city. A high swr will eventually grenade your CB. Loose to much signal running an antenna between cab and trailer. Any part of your rig sticking up above the trailer can get you flagged at a weigh station. OD is a step ahead of the game with the perch already provided. All that is needed is a second mount for another antenna, and another antenna. I use and old fiberglass antenna that no longer provides adequate swr adjustment. Just remove the plastic washer on the lug, and profit.

Last edited:
I hook mine up to the truck, no modification of any kind, and have had no problems communicating with other drivers. Run a Freightliner Cascadia with factory antennas.
And would love to see your SWR Readings for sure.Everytime I've hooked one up to the factory hook up the SWR's are out the roof.Maybe fine with a cheap radio.But,not going to run a Galaxy,Connex, or any high end radio for sure.

And would love to see your SWR Readings for sure.Everytime I've hooked one up to the factory hook up the SWR's are out the roof.Maybe fine with a cheap radio.But,not going to run a Galaxy,Connex, or any high end radio for sure.
We've got guys doing this. We've all got 2013 twin screws and I'll attest to the fact the swr are around 1.1 on all channels. The stock coax is garbage and you get lots of interference but they work.

We've got guys doing this. We've all got 2013 twin screws and I'll attest to the fact the swr are around 1.1 on all channels. The stock coax is garbage and you get lots of interference but they work.
They use to make a inline noise interference filters years ago.Had one and it worked.Dont think they make them anymore.Tried to find the one I had and never did.Think I would rather invest in some good coax.