ODFL | CB radio suggestions?

2BucTruck

TB Lurker
Credits
Been tinkering with the idea of getting a cb. Most of our trucks are 2015 or later, and therefore have am/fm radios installed. A lot of guys used to have the all in one package before radios where installed, so they had a radio and cb w/ speakers in a box. Seems kind of outdated for my barn. But I still think about having another toy for the truck. If I don't need the all-in-one box, any suggestions for a truck that has a radio installed if you wanna have a cb? What kind of setup would I be looking at? What kind of equipment would I need? If it's not already obvious, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to cb radios.

Right on! New to ltl linehaul & with a different company but have toyed with the idea of getting a CB. Mostly have heard negative bout the lack of info shared on em, yet fair amount of guys have them. Further info would be appreciated.

I've got 2.Put them in closet and don't use.Nothing on them anymore.Except for a bunch of junk.Just get you one and stick on dash.May want to get you a Antenna since most are missing off the trucks now.

I got one. Me and a couple guys run out at the same time so it's better then the phone. We run our own channel unless the weather is bad. Channel 19 has gotten us out of some big delays but running it all the time makes me want to go home and take a shower.
My advice is go to a cb shop and tell them what you want to do with the cb. Most of the time they have a used unit for far less then a new one. It'll come peaked and tuned and save you $30 bucks right there.
After you install make sure your SWR's are no more then 3, but preferably you want them at 1. If you've got a newer tractor take those antennas off and throw them away. Spend some money on a pair of matching ones and talk away. You're tractor is set up to run with two antennas so if you're going to use the brackets on the truck make sure you have two antennas.

Lot of info but they are not plug and play. If you don't set it properly you'll burn it up and void any warranty. Have fun!

I got one. Me and a couple guys run out at the same time so it's better then the phone. We run our own channel unless the weather is bad. Channel 19 has gotten us out of some big delays but running it all the time makes me want to go home and take a shower.
My advice is go to a cb shop and tell them what you want to do with the cb. Most of the time they have a used unit for far less then a new one. It'll come peaked and tuned and save you $30 bucks right there.
After you install make sure your SWR's are no more then 3, but preferably you want them at 1. If you've got a newer tractor take those antennas off and throw them away. Spend some money on a pair of matching ones and talk away. You're tractor is set up to run with two antennas so if you're going to use the brackets on the truck make sure you have two antennas.

Lot of info but they are not plug and play. If you don't set it properly you'll burn it up and void any warranty. Have fun!
It really depends on what you want and how much money you want to spend. But if you are going to get a CB than spend a little bit and get something that is practical. I have mine on a board which makes it easy if I need to take it out quickly. I usually drive the same truck so I don't take it out very often. There are many choices for radios and antennas. It really depends on your tractor situation and how much freedom you have with it. I don't work for OD but I would suggest to find what your policy is and get with some different drivers to get some ideas and just what would work for you. I don't talk on mine that much but I do listen to it for traffic and the occasional radio check. But I have a Galaxy CB and a Wilson antenna so I can be loud and proud when I do talk. Good luck driver and all be careful on the road.

And did you know that the Freightliner's may have 2 Antenna's.One for CB & the other for Stereo hook up.The old Columbia's used the left mount for CB hook up and right for the stereo hook up.They are stereo prepped.The Cascadia's now run the Stereo Antenna hook up to the Driver's Side Antenna and the Passenger Side is for the CB on the Dash.

Your SWR will always be high in these Tractors because they are not grounded.My suggestion on this is run you a ground wire off the ANTENNA clamp and you will find on the Cascadia's at the Battery Box at the rear of the cab a ground cable to the frame.Hook it to the bolt on the frame with a alligator clip.It will ground the ANTENNA and get the SWR down for sure.

Your SWR will always be high in these Tractors because they are not grounded.My suggestion on this is run you a ground wire off the ANTENNA clamp and you will find on the Cascadia's at the Battery Box at the rear of the cab a ground cable to the frame.Hook it to the bolt on the frame with a alligator clip.It will ground the ANTENNA and get the SWR down for sure.
Ground wire that long won't help. Best bet is to ground it to the door. Find a screw on the frame and ground it there. My swr's are at or below 1 on channel 1, 20 and 40. I only get out about 5 miles but that's plenty for me. Good luck.

Ground wire that long won't help. Best bet is to ground it to the door. Find a screw on the frame and ground it there. My swr's are at or below 1 on channel 1, 20 and 40. I only get out about 5 miles but that's plenty for me. Good luck.
Great,Very hard to find a ground.I had mine grounded to the frame.Doesn't matter how long the ground wire is.It's a ground.I use to run a old coax cable from my radio box to the battery box ground on frame because it is always a clean spot.I had both radio's &the antenna grounded off from the box.Alway's worked great and always had no more than .05 SWR running on a Connex with no issues at all.I pulled my stuff out.Got tired of the crap on it .I was always real big in them in the 80's & 90's and spent a bunch of money for sure on Mobile &Base Stuff and had plenty of power to.lol.When I got out of it I said I would never get back in it.O have bought a couple mobile radios over the years .But,nothing new.I would keep it in the truck.But,never really talked on them anymore.I haven't had one in truck in almost 2 years now.In the closet now.

Great,Very hard to find a ground.I had mine grounded to the frame.Doesn't matter how long the ground wire is.It's a ground.I use to run a old coax cable from my radio box to the battery box ground on frame because it is always a clean spot.I had both radio's &the antenna grounded off from the box.Alway's worked great and always had no more than .05 SWR running on a Connex with no issues at all.I pulled my stuff out.Got tired of the crap on it .I was always real big in them in the 80's & 90's and spent a bunch of money for sure on Mobile &Base Stuff and had plenty of power to.lol.When I got out of it I said I would never get back in it.O have bought a couple mobile radios over the years .But,nothing new.I would keep it in the truck.But,never really talked on them anymore.I haven't had one in truck in almost 2 years now.In the closet now.
Running connex helps lower the SWR's and ground the antennas. The problem with the newer tractor is getting above the ground plane. That's why the posts are so high on the sides. They would be better out on the mirrors and away from the doors

Running connex helps lower the SWR's and ground the antennas. The problem with the newer tractor is getting above the ground plane. That's why the posts are so high on the sides. They would be better out on the mirrors and away from the doors
Nope,Connex has nothing to do with it.I fault high SWR's till I did what I did with the ground.These truck's are a pain.Honestly you would be better off running a ground plane antenna for sure.But,they are expensive.Best place on new tractors is using a 5 to 6 foot top loaded antenna on rear of cab.Anything to get above the top of trailer's.Thats what kill's SWR's is the metal reflection from the trailer's.Best antenna I bought and still have was a Browning Coiled Antenna from Walmart.com for $25 .Cheap& is pre tuned.

Nope,Connex has nothing to do with it.I fault high SWR's till I did what I did with the ground.These truck's are a pain.Honestly you would be better off running a ground plane antenna for sure.But,they are expensive.Best place on new tractors is using a 5 to 6 foot top loaded antenna on rear of cab.Anything to get above the top of trailer's.Thats what kill's SWR's is the metal reflection from the trailer's.Best antenna I bought and still have was a Browning Coiled Antenna from Walmart.com for $25 .Cheap& is pre tuned.
I use fiberglass 4' on the post...works just fine.

If I ran one that went above the trailers I'd be replacing every time a city guy took it out. Too many trees and low bridges out here. Lol

I use fiberglass 4' on the post...works just fine.
Ump,Get you one of the Browning Flat Coiled Antenna.Model 76 or 78 I'm thinking.They are cheap and I was very impressed considering I have been using Wilson&K 40 Products for years.Very nice built one for sure & price is right.

Reactions: Ump
If I ran one that went above the trailers I'd be replacing every time a city guy took it out. Too many trees and low bridges out here. Lol
Yes,bad place for tree's for sure.Great,if you stay on the highways for sure.I could never run one like that any city.I got tired of hearing the thing hit the cab all the time.lol

We have some guys that run a 6' off the door post and angle it towards the front. Seems to work okay. Guess it all depends on what you're looking to do and how far you what to get out.

We have some guys that run a 6' off the door post and angle it towards the front. Seems to work okay. Guess it all depends on what you're looking to do and how far you what to get out.
Yep,When I have mine on mirror .It's higher than trailer.I would tilt mine back a little,That way if it hit's something it will not break.If you turn them forward on the mirrors you are more likely to break them for sure.I could never keep a fiberglass one long before breaking.

I got the cobra 29 Bluetooth cb( non digital one). Works great in the freight liner. Bluetooth plays through the CB, so no parrot needed.

I run a CB still on 19 at all times. I never talk to anyone on it except to warn drivers of hazards and I have been warned many many times by other drivers as well. I especially like it in the winter. Find out about the big wrecks ahead of me before I get to them so I can get it slowed down.