Pitt-Ohio | Cb radio

I put one in and all I got was static. I even changed antenna to a wilson 5000 still nothing. It's in a new 23 mack anthem.
The grounds in trucks nowadays are hit or miss. I was assigned a new Pinnacle in 2014 and not only could I not get a decent ground on the grab handle above the rear window, the factory setup on the mirror never worked from day one. My next truck was an ‘18 Peterbilt and it had multiple options for mounting an antenna, all well grounded. Are you using your own coax and mount? I have several antennas of different types and brands and have had by far the best luck with Francis 4 or preferably 4 1/2 foot fiberglass whips. The top end antennas are great under the right circumstances but can be finicky while the Francis is designed to be able to perform well under the less ideal conditions we have because of the limited mounting options for antennas.

Between city driver taking out antenna and terrible stock wiring I’ve never had luck with driver side mirror mount. Mine’s been on back of cab for several years.

The grounds in trucks nowadays are hit or miss. I was assigned a new Pinnacle in 2014 and not only could I not get a decent ground on the grab handle above the rear window, the factory setup on the mirror never worked from day one. My next truck was an ‘18 Peterbilt and it had multiple options for mounting an antenna, all well grounded. Are you using your own coax and mount? I have several antennas of different types and brands and have had by far the best luck with Francis 4 or preferably 4 1/2 foot fiberglass whips. The top end antennas are great under the right circumstances but can be finicky while the Francis is designed to be able to perform well under the less ideal conditions we have because of the limited mounting options for antennas.
Check out a ground plane antenna, When I first got a fiberglass cab my "big radio" would hardly get across the median. A guy in a CB shop, {good luck finding one now} explained the tractor body acted with the antenna, but fiberglass as a non-conductor messed with transmitting. Worked almost as good as a steel cab.

Check out a ground plane antenna, When I first got a fiberglass cab my "big radio" would hardly get across the median. A guy in a CB shop, {good luck finding one now} explained the tractor body acted with the antenna, but fiberglass as a non-conductor messed with transmitting. Worked almost as good as a steel cab.
The Macks have steel cabs but the factory setups use the cheapest materials and the installations don’t appear to be part of their quality control checks. On the Pinnacle, I eventually mounted an antenna bracket on the very same mirror arm that had the flawed factory mount and it was one of the best performing setups I’ve ever had.

I'm using the factory cable and antenna mount.
Unfortunately it’s probably going to require some out of pocket expense but that’s the only option when the factory setup isn’t functioning properly, and it’s money well spent. I would first replace the factory antenna with a Francis 4 or 4 1/2 footer because as I mentioned above, they have a unique design that sets them apart from other fiberglass antennas that compensates for other flaws in the system. You can find a 4 footer in most truck stops and 4 1/2 footers online. Replace the factory antenna and if that works you have a cheap fix that will serve your needs. The better choice would be to replace the antenna, coax, and mount with your own because even the cheapest truckstop coax is better than the factory junk. Whatever you do, do it soon. A flawed antenna system will overheat a radio (when you key the mic) and that’s an expensive fix if the final transistors burn out. I’ve seen a few drivers who just plugged their radios in and never gave it a second thought because they could communicate for a mile or so. Then they blame the “POS radio” when they could’ve taken steps to avoid it from happening.

I should point out that I don’t benefit from pushing Francis antennas . My comments are based on my personal experience of using them most of the time for more than 10 years and I have Wilson, Browning, Stryker, Hustler, and Radio Shack antennas collecting dust in my garage as proof of my research.

Between city driver taking out antenna and terrible stock wiring I’ve never had luck with driver side mirror mount. Mine’s been on back of cab for several years.
I’ve had that problem as well but in their defense, we pick up and deliver to some not so truck friendly places. Unfortunately, the mirror is where the more expensive, center load antennas perform best without being restricted by the cab and trailer or heating unit. I was pretty sure though, that my city driver wasn’t going to be breaking this one.

EBB8728F-9560-45F9-952D-FF3824BE6451.md.jpeg

I’ve had that problem as well but in their defense, we pick up and deliver to some not so truck friendly places. Unfortunately, the mirror is where the more expensive, center load antennas perform best without being restricted by the cab and trailer or heating unit. I was pretty sure though, that my city driver wasn’t going to be breaking this one.

I'm a city driver and have never understood why I don't get paid extra for my tree trimming services...

Yea the new dude that has been a lurker for 22 years and an occasional comment. That trip on the ice will be forever etched in my mind. Leading from behind is not a good thing, definitely a learning experience.