CDL class pay back

HDRadley

TB Lurker
Credits
Was wondering if anyone knows the consequences of signing on with a truckload carrier who pays for CDL licensing with a stipulation that you have to stay with that company for a certain amount of time and that contract is broken. Generally, do carriers pursue this in court to recover losses of the CDL training?

Seriously asking for a friend!

Was wondering if anyone knows the consequences of signing on with a truckload carrier who pays for CDL licensing with a stipulation that you have to stay with that company for a certain amount of time and that contract is broken. Generally, do carriers pursue this in court to recover losses of the CDL training?

Seriously asking for a friend!
If an agreement,or contract was signed stating that? Then your friend is probably on the hook. Signing anything like that with a trucking company,is like a lease purchase agreement to buy a truck through them. Don’t do it.

If an agreement,or contract was signed stating that? Then your friend is probably on the hook. Signing anything like that with a trucking company,is like a lease purchase agreement to buy a truck through them. Don’t do it.

He already did it. Crazy story - he quit because he didn't like DRIVING. Two things: first of all, wouldn't you know BEFORE signing on for a DRIVING job that you don't like DRIVING? And, secondly, it's the first time I've ever heard of a driver quitting because he didn't like to drive. Usually it's the hours or pay or loneliness or the company or the equipment or whatever. But driving?

But how vigilant are companies about recovering their losses on these agreements? This kid still has the CDL but isn't driving but my guess is he's going to either be hauled into court or be hounded by a collection agency until it's paid up in full. Not to mention the ruination of his credit rating. We're talking thousands of dollars - which would be a felony if prosecuted.

He already did it. Crazy story - he quit because he didn't like DRIVING. Two things: first of all, wouldn't you know BEFORE signing on for a DRIVING job that you don't like DRIVING? And, secondly, it's the first time I've ever heard of a driver quitting because he didn't like to drive. Usually it's the hours or pay or loneliness or the company or the equipment or whatever. But driving?

But how vigilant are companies about recovering their losses on these agreements? This kid still has the CDL but isn't driving but my guess is he's going to either be hauled into court or be hounded by a collection agency until it's paid up in full. Not to mention the ruination of his credit rating. We're talking thousands of dollars - which would be a felony if prosecuted.
Not sure how far these companies would go. But yes, your friend if anything has learned an expensive lesson. What are you talking, $4,000-$5,000? I don’t know much about JB Hunt if that is who you are referring to, but a company that size would, probably want the compensation back, even though it was time of a driver training program to get his CDL.