TForce | Central freight lines closing

What a Christmas present. Best to all affected..
On a happier note. Tis' the season to be a CDL holder or dockman looking for work.
Could be a blessing in disguise to some..
The drivers I spoke with, back last summer, said the place was going down. These guys were getting ready to retire either way, so they will just move on.
The company was paying 3-5 dollars less an hour than all other ltls, so they only guys staying there were the old timers.

With all the small ltl's they bought the past few years also the one last year did not help them on trying to expand. A couple of years ago they were moving pallets for $50 for some pallets in certain lanes. Those cut rates and the expansion caught up with them.

With all the small ltl's they bought the past few years also the one last year did not help them on trying to expand. A couple of years ago they were moving pallets for $50 for some pallets in certain lanes. Those cut rates and the expansion caught up with them.
The terminal close to me looked like a ghost town after they took it over from Wilson. I’d go by there at 8 at night on the way to work, no cars in the lot and the lights off, meanwhile every other dock in town has freight falling off of it at this time of night. Wilson probably had 30 trucks on the line visible from the road, most times when I go by Central now I see 4, maybe 5. They did have a Linehaul driver or 2 but I don’t think they have any here lately, if they do they must Uber to work.

Maybe you should take your own advice. Seriously most people aren't thrilled about how things are going but we get paid well for what we do and we're free to leave anytime we wish.
T Force would be 2nd on my list behind UPS feeder driver if I were to leave ABF...

Some guys like blondes, some guys like brunettes, some guys like redheads, and some guys like other guys. Different strokes for different folks. :smile new:

Maybe you should take your own advice. Seriously most people aren't thrilled about how things are going but we get paid well for what we do and we're free to leave anytime we wish.
Let's give this a look at a different perspective. I'm looking at this statement as where to go for new employment. TForce would be at the BOTTOM of my pecking order, for a new job.

Why?

- 5 year union contract that is set to expire in 20 months.
- New owners on an efficiency spree. Cutting costs everywhere.
- Putting more costs for our health/dental/electives on us. Our health and dental costs are protected for the next 20 months, but we've already seen the increases in our electives.
- Still have a 4 year progression for top wages. The BIGGEST reason no one want's to hire with us. Why start at $15/hr when I can go to Dayton and start at 72cpm/$29hr? And that's not the only place enticing new hires. Oh yea, we're trying to catch up, but still not offering top wages to compete with anyone.
- Equipment that we don't have to even work. Lack of tractors and trailers.
- The current grievance with slowing us down, which does affect what we can earn. Yeah, yeah, yeah... 3mph, that's been beaten already. But it does extend our work day for the same wages.
- Selling and consolidation of existing facilities. 5 so far, but do you think it will stop there?

I know there is more, but that's off the top of my head.

I do agree that since I already work here and earning top wage, it's not the s***storm everyone is portraying. At least in my area. But we are talking a new hire, on the bottom of the seniority, at a company that isn't competing with it's peers and is in transition/turmoil.

My 2 cents... keep the change....

Some terminals in the NE offering $7500,10k & 15k bonuses for drivers and mechanics. Starting at top pay or close to it!

Its a miracle Central lasted this long. To emerge from the Coles, Central, Spartan and Viking debacle they turned to Jerry Moyes for funding. He took Central public, then back private. They tried to expand by buying out smaller carriers. The Jaguar and Vecta purchases turned out ok. They pulled out of EOFF territory with nothing to show for it. The acquisition of Wilson and some small southern carriers seemed to be a failure. Should have focused on Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana. Moyes wants his hands in everything, at any cost. Why get into pro sports??

Its a miracle Central lasted this long. To emerge from the Coles, Central, Spartan and Viking debacle they turned to Jerry Moyes for funding. He took Central public, then back private. They tried to expand by buying out smaller carriers. The Jaguar and Vecta purchases turned out ok. They pulled out of EOFF territory with nothing to show for it. The acquisition of Wilson and some small southern carriers seemed to be a failure. Should have focused on Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana. Moyes wants his hands in everything, at any cost. Why get into pro sports??
We shared a terminal with EOFF in Eugene... then i think Saia bought them and we had to move. They were an interline carrier.

So thats where Vecta went... I always wondered.