ABF | Central Freight Lines Up On Deck

Anybody work a Teamster dock years ago where no one was allowed to work the dock or yard without being a union member? Were there ever work stoppages to prevent this action by management? Did the Local officials come on the property & tell the men to stand down until it was resolved? The only effective way to get what you want is to effect their bottom line. Only then will you have their undivided attention. Comments? von.

My father was supposed to be the last Union steward in Pittsburgh to physically throw a TM off the dock in the Local jurisdiction. I was told that Breman's Express out of Leechburg, Pa. continually ran guys into Dad's dock late at night to transfer freight,...in violation of a county-wide agreement with Local #249 that all dock work was to be done with Local #249's members only. Breman's was out of Leechburg in Armstrong County. Small regional carrier, with two terminals,....Leechburg and....Pittsburgh.

From what I understand, the...."discussion"......started in the TM's office,....and spilled out onto the dock. Dad apparently did the Ol' Bum's Rush,...by gathering the seat of the TM's pant's and his collar,...and giving him the heave ho off the dock......

This was back in the early '70's.....I was in the Air Force,......Dad got fired, of course,.....but got his job back when it could not be proved who swung at whom first. Back in the Tom Fagan Era of Local #249,.......When the Teamsters had an iron grip on Allegheny County........and you held your head high , if you wore a Teamster jacket.

Dad was in charge of the......."Irish Brigade" ......the nickname of Teamster's Local #249 contingent in the annual St. Patrick's Day parade for years........Green top hats and dress coats with white pants.........Couple of hundred strong........Terror of every Bar on the North Side of Pittsburgh on St. Patrick's Day......

But.....but,.....Where are they going to get drivers? Will they pay so well that,....experienced drivers will leave their current employers in droves?
Will they establish their own.....truck driving schools?

Thereby insuring a YouTube "Comedy Of Errors" channel for years to come?......

Go ahead underestimate them, I believe the teamsters did that to deregulation...
Amazon is flying Boeing 767's currently, what a bunch of slackers....
Meanwhile YRC is cycling through CFO's and teamster pensions are insolvent....
Nice forward thinking....
Still hoping the steam locomotives make a comeback?

Go ahead underestimate them, I believe the teamsters did that to deregulation...
Amazon is flying Boeing 767's currently, what a bunch of slackers....
Meanwhile YRC is cycling through CFO's and teamster pensions are insolvent....
Nice forward thinking....
Still hoping the steam locomotives make a comeback?

No,.....Having lived through deregulation,..the Teamsters foretold the coming disaster in Organized Labor. In fact,....as a Social experiment,....deregulation was so successful in busting up Unions and organizations of workers in trucking,.....that Congress...(...at the bidding of those big Wall Street donors...) started deregulating all sorts of industries.
Banking,....airlines,.....steel,....railroads...

Notice how......"cheap"....consumer goods got? That was the rationale for deregulation,....To "help" the consumers.

Oh, wait,.......Nothing got cheaper,....but CEO's got richer,......Hmmm.....

Check back in the Teamsters Archives. Leadership fought tooth'n'nail against deregulation. Consumers...(..who were also, in many cases, rank-and-file...).....didn't believe Organized Labor,....and fell for Wall Street's "carrot-on-a-stick" of cheap goods,...in some sort of nebulous future.....

If you haven't noticed,....the Teamsters,...in fact, all organized Labor,......are a reactive group. They react AFTER something has been done to them. Deregulation was DONE to them,...we had to react as best as we could. Pensions were,...by fiat of machinations by Wall Street,...decimated,...after record years of profitability(...AFTER Deregulation, mind you....)...
....and we Teamsters had to react,...and hang on the best we could.

Big Money keeps beating the Teamsters with Clubs,......and we keep on hanging on.......

Look at your Labor history. Unions were in a very low place in the 1930's,....Only 6% of the population were organized,.....
And then by the start of WWII,......60% were Union,......

The Lesson is: Unions are Cyclical. They'll be back,.......

By the way,.....Amazon does have steam locomotives for sale online....Several models,...Your choice of colors......
Free Shipping..........

No,.....Having lived through deregulation,..the Teamsters foretold the coming disaster in Organized Labor. In fact,....as a Social experiment,....deregulation was so successful in busting up Unions and organizations of workers in trucking,.....that Congress...(...at the bidding of those big Wall Street donors...) started deregulating all sorts of industries.

Notice how......"cheap"....consumer goods got? That was the rationale for deregulation,....To "help" the consumers.

Check back in the Teamsters Archives. Leadership fought tooth'n'nail against deregulation. Consumers...(..who were also, in many cases, rank-and-file...).....didn't believe Organized Labor,....and fell for Wall Street's "carrot-on-a-stick" of cheap goods,...in some sort of nebulous future.....

If you haven't noticed,....the Teamsters,...in fact, all organized Labor,......are a reactive group. They react AFTER something has been done to them. Deregulation was DONE to them,...we had to react as best as we could. Pensions were,...by fiat of machinations by Wall Street,...decimated,...after record years of profitability(...AFTER Deregulation, mind you....)...

Big Money keeps beating the Teamsters with Clubs,......and we keep on hanging on.......

Look at your Labor history. Unions were in a very low place in the 1930's,....Only 6% of the population were organized,.....

By the way,.....Amazon does have steam locomotives for sale online....Several models,...Your choice of colors......
Free Shipping..........
He’s a bitter retired teamster collecting a pension, talk about ungrateful....

He’s a bitter retired teamster collecting a pension, talk about ungrateful....

Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment...if a pension is something we as Teamsters have EARNED from our many hours of work, why do you think someone should be "grateful" for it? After all it's not a gift, it's earned, it's part of our overall compensation. Are you "grateful" for your pay every week or is it expected as compensation for the work time you put in, in other words "earned"? Just curious.

Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment...if a pension is something we as Teamsters have EARNED from our many hours of work, why do you think someone should be "grateful" for it? After all it's not a gift, it's earned, it's part of our overall compensation. Are you "grateful" for your pay every week or is it expected as compensation for the work time you put in, in other words "earned"? Just curious.

Good point! You only need to be grateful for......gifts.
If you earned it,....by contributions in your name based on your working hours.......you don’t need to express gratitude. It was negotiated in lieu of wages that they pay your pension...

I’m proud to cash that pension check,.....I earned every penny.

Because he bash’s them every chance he gets, and his didn’t take a hit! Pos in my book. Nothing is perfect but for him to complain all the time is crazy seeing what is going on with central states.....

Good point! You only need to be grateful for......gifts.
If you earned it,....by contributions in your name based on your working hours.......you don’t need to express gratitude. It was negotiated in lieu of wages that they pay your pension...

I’m proud to cash that pension check,.....I earned every penny.
Do you bash them every chance you get? Even though you took a hit. He does.

Do you bash them every chance you get? Even though you took a hit. He does.

No, Brother,.....I don't bash,.....I'll kill 'em with Reasonable Dignity.....

Works every time,.....(except if you're dealing with cockroaches, rats and other assorted vermin......Then you bash,...preferably with an 8-pound sledgehammer.....that's what they make spackling for.......)

Free Shipping..........
I don't think free shipping is the problem. It is the cost to lay the rail to have it put where you want it. Oh, & do not forget the numerous permits, (city state & Federal) not to mention the cost. Laying the track might be 10 times the cost of the locomotive. von.

No, Brother,.....I don't bash,.....I'll kill 'em with Reasonable Dignity.....

Works every time,.....(except if you're dealing with cockroaches, rats and other assorted vermin......Then you bash,...preferably with an 8-pound sledgehammer.....that's what they make spackling for.......)
If you can't beat the ::shit:: out of them, kill them with kindness. von.

My line driver super always said "If you can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle em with BS"

Absolutely! I always carry a personal surplus of the article in question, in case my natural creative talents need supplementing.
Usually about a wheelbarrow load will do.........But in situations calling for extreme measures,...like dealing with Invincible Ignorance in either politics or managerial pig-headedness,.......I’ve been known to rent a tri-axle or two.........

Thank Goodness I’ve kept that CDL in retirement.