CF name taken by Con-Way

CF ConWayFreight

Now that post makes a lot of sense, let it go you old farts! CF ConWayFreight what difference does it make !!!

I just retired last month from a 45 year career holding a steering wheel,and shiffting the gears for a pay check.
I worked as a casual city driver,and dock worker for CF way back in 1986.
They did have some real junk equipment.
It was hard not getting held up at any DOT check points with something wrong.

I was let go because I was driving a day cab that the clutch was almost gone.
I couldn't stop on a hill with it for fear of a roll back.
Well I popped a utility line that was to low going up a hill.
I knew I wasn't going to make it under,but I had to go for it rather than roll backwards down the hill because I couldn't use the clutch to stop,and restart again.

Well anyways back then Con-Way was known as Con Way Central around here.
And Con Way Central was bleeding all of CF's accounts.
Sometimes I'd go to make a pickup at a customers dock,with a Con Way Central unit parked at the next dock over picking up solid loads of LTL freight.
One other thing that was really fishy back then,was CF was putting brand new trailers in their system that were all white with vinyl polymer signage for their brand.
These signs only needed to be heated up,and then they would just pealed off to a plan trailer with no signs.

All of us city drivers were seeing the hand writting on the wall so to speak to what CF was up to.
But all of the CF drivers were hopping for the best.

YUP you guessed it the CF drivers gave the company their best,and CF rewarded them with an 800 phone number to call on Labor day that said sorry we have closed our operations.

Don't mean to cover old ground,I just thought I'd share the old days with you.

Anymore American employees are just numbers on a payroll list.
A little liquid white out,and your number is removed,or maybe its not paper anymore,but a computer record which is easier yet.
A click of the mouse and you are deleted.

Oh well thats life.
Just do your best,as long as you are able,don't worry about anything thats not in your control,and enjoy your time off,thats the best advice I can offer anyone.

the difference is it consolidated freightways NOT CONWAY FREIGHT the company that consolidated freightways started was the monster that kill us.so i don't like them taking there name one darn bit there lot of us old farts as you say fill the same way as i do lumper if you don't like the way we feel don't come down to this site you sound like a non unionman to me and con=way at that

The difference is that if you don't learn your history, learn how people and companies work, then history will repeat itself.

One day you'll be an old fart wondering why you lost your job and scratching your head trying to figure out how it happened.

Let me tell you a SIMPLE EXAMPLE: a person crosses the road and doesn't look both ways gets hit. You hear about it and think "I'll look both ways before crossing the road". You've learned by HISTORY.

Quit crossing the road while not looking! :chairshot:

Besides, you allow the old ones to be treated badly and one day it'll happen to you because you didn't listen, learn and help keep the problems from happening again.

Now that post makes a lot of sense, let it go you old farts! CF ConWayFreight what difference does it make !!!

It's All About The Old Farts!!

(TiredDrvsWife)Hi Ma'am, I am alredy an old fart, and proud of it, also getting ready to pull the plug as they say, after 38 years as a driver in four union companies.

Since 1995 I have crossed that road that you so elequently speak of, four times, and I have looked each way; four times, and each time I have gotten hit by the companies that I have so proudly worked for, CF being one of them, so given that HISTORY I have learned to let go, not live in the past, not to look out the rear view mirrors, not to back up, etc.etc. :BlahBlah

So therefore, I feel that I'm qualified to use the term "old farts", if this in any way was offensive to you, from one old fart to another, then I must apologize.:console:

As far as being treated with disrespect by the young bloods, never allowed it.:hand:

In closing, please do not take any of my words as being direspectful, I have already
been warned and threatened with BANISHMENT by the Moderator for my style
of writing. I think he is one of these young bloods I speak of by the way.:Poke:

Respecfully, Lumpersam AKA "old fart"
Hmm. I'm startingto like the sound of that.:hysterical:

Oops

My apologies sir!

We've had a few on another forum that was downing the "old farts" and I took exception. I thought you were one of these. I should have kept my fingers shut! :hide:

Had one that wanted to send me information on how good pot is!! We had a go round on the board and then in a PM. Another telling us where we went wrong in our retirement planning. Told him time and again that WAY BACK in the dark ages, we didn't have the savings opportunities he has today and for him to not rely on them.

Young whippersnappers that think they know it all because they had a course or two of college makes me wanna :chairshot:.

Again, my apology and hope you enjoy your retirement! My husband has nearly 15 years before the 65 social security kicks in, if there is any left! And he already has 33 years of delivery service under his belt. He's tired.

Now you old farts can go sit at the local store, talk about old women, young girls and how you use to could. :funky:

Have a good day and thanks for not taking my hen feathers off!

(TiredDrvsWife)Hi Ma'am, I am alredy an old fart, and proud of it, also getting ready to pull the plug as they say, after 38 years as a driver in four union companies.

Since 1995 I have crossed that road that you so elequently speak of, four times, and I have looked each way; four times, and each time I have gotten hit by the companies that I have so proudly worked for, CF being one of them, so given that HISTORY I have learned to let go, not live in the past, not to look out the rear view mirrors, not to back up, etc.etc.

So therefore, I feel that I'm qualified to use the term "old farts", if this in any way was offensive to you, from one old fart to another, then I must apologize.

As far as being treated with disrespect by the young bloods, never allowed it.

In closing, please do not take any of my words as being direspectful, I have already
been warned and threatened with BANISHMENT by the Moderator for my style
of writing. I think he is one of these young bloods I speak of by the way.:Poke:

Respecfully, Lumpersam AKA "old fart"
Hmm. I'm startingto like the sound of that.

WELL THEY TOOK OUR NAME. NOW IT LOOK LIKE THERE SHUTING DOWN THE TERMINAL'S LITTLE AT AT TIME JUST LIKE WE DID OH WELL WHAT CAN I SAY WHAT GO'S AROUND COME'S AROUND. i'am sure not going to say best of luck to that company

WELL THEY TOOK OUR NAME. NOW IT LOOK LIKE THERE SHUTING DOWN THE TERMINAL'S LITTLE AT AT TIME JUST LIKE WE DID OH WELL WHAT CAN I SAY WHAT GO'S AROUND COME'S AROUND. i'am sure not going to say best of luck to that company

:hide: excfman, I truly hope that your bitterness does not affect your health or life.
Read my posts...CF denied me employement, as did many other carriers because of one minor accident ( low, unmarked bridge ) during my 30 day probationary period.
Con-Way gave me a chance over 20 years ago, and I cannot put them down for that.
Back in 1983, when Jerry D started CCX, he wanted to saturate the central region with Terminals to offer superior service. Superior service has been accomplished, and all of the competion is biting at our heels.
The closing of Terminals has been in the works for over a year, since the three Con-Ways were combined into Con-Way Freight.
Think about this: The closing of 40 Terminals will result in the loss of 200-300 jobs, out of 25,000, mostly people who will not relocate.
Concerning us taking your name.............NO DOUBT.....Consolidated Freightways.....Con-Way...pretty simple!
This was not accomplishied by you or me, rather, it was accomplishied by the upper management and approved by shareholders.
I WILL say best of luck to you, and wish the best to you. :smilie_132:

that great your a 20 year man and they put you that' s great. no one ask you to put con-way down you. they gave you a job and i understand that but this why we live in great U.S.A. I HAVE A RIGHT TO VOTE AND I HAVE RIGHT DISLIKE A COMPANY AND THAT COMPANY WILL AND ALWAYS WILL BE CON-WAY . this just didn't happen sept 1 2002 this started with me the first day they start con-way and first meeting we had about them this be going on for 25 years or better. idon't hate you as a driver dock office your just making a living but i do hate your company they help take 25,000 of our jobs

Best of luck to us all!

:hide: Wow! you said it right! Best of luck to ALL of us.
Times are tough, and I believe will get tougher before getting better.
The trucking industry as a whole is going through changes we have not seen since de-regulation and every one of us is feeling the effects of it.
Let us all just hope and pray that the LTL carriers that are left can weather this storm and come out of it stronger.
I am not trying to stir anything up with Excfman, only stating my case.
I am for ALL LTL people and keeping our industry strong. :smilie_132:

your not going to stir anything up with me like you said you stated your case and i did mine.and mine is never going to change i know your just making a living out there but your company help take mine AND 25,000 other like me. i know you didn't have anything do with it or i in 1983 because if I had there never been a con-way like i say i don't hate the hard working drivers dockworks or the office but i do hate your company.