ABF | change of operation

Let's remember that the reason companies hire those guys with the turbans...........is because of the corporate belief they can use, abuse, threaten, and cheat them to accept wages lower than ours......

It ain't about the turban or the religious belief,..........it's about institutional corporate discrimination..........and , if they can create hatred and class division in the process....Hey! that's just icing on the cake....

Historically, corporations always are able to lower wages by pitting one group of workers against another.....And, they could care less about long-term social inequities they create. Chicago's South Side is a memorial of the time when USS Steel actively recruited rural black people to work in the Gary, Indiana works,...just to forestall the Union organizing effort.

But,.....being a truck driver myself........

I find that pretty funny......
I thought you might! Whip me a text sometime soon, canary. We gotta catch up!

Let's remember that the reason companies hire those guys with the turbans...........is because of the corporate belief they can use, abuse, threaten, and cheat them to accept wages lower than ours......

It ain't about the turban or the religious belief,..........it's about institutional corporate discrimination..........and , if they can create hatred and class division in the process....Hey! that's just icing on the cake....

Historically, corporations always are able to lower wages by pitting one group of workers against another.....And, they could care less about long-term social inequities they create. Chicago's South Side is a memorial of the time when USS Steel actively recruited rural black people to work in the Gary, Indiana works,...just to forestall the Union organizing effort.

But,.....being a truck driver myself........

I find that pretty funny......
Sound like the history I remember from history class. But, I don't think that ABF (Dayton 064) driver was hired or wears it for those reasons. I think he wears it because it is cold in Ohio! I believe, like me, he is balding on the top of his head and is using that turban as a head warmer. It can double as a blanket or scarf if he is stuck in the cold snow. Wear normal head gear and all you have is something on your head.

Canary, are you sure you live in Pennsylvania? Don't you have seat covers that double as blankets in case you slide off the the road in winter?

Sound like the history I remember from history class. But, I don't think that ABF (Dayton 064) driver was hired or wears it for those reasons. I think he wears it because it is cold in Ohio! I believe, like me, he is balding on the top of his head and is using that turban as a head warmer. It can double as a blanket or scarf if he is stuck in the cold snow. Wear normal head gear and all you have is something on your head.

Canary, are you sure you live in Pennsylvania? Don't you have seat covers that double as blankets in case you slide off the the road in winter?

Hah! Brother,......I still have a full head of wavy, bushy hair.......albeit it is a distinguished silvery grey......
Great warm cushion for my head to cover up the prodigious amount of brains I appear to have......

Some people are startled at the size of my head.....comparing it to a small nail keg.......slightly less dense, though......

And although I don’t have a beard to help warm my head along with that thick, snowy outcropping,........I have a large moustache that bears an uncanny resemblance to a miniature push broom for cookie crumbs when I smile.....

So, since I live in the sub-Arctic zone here around W.Penna.......I am well-equipped with a natural hirsute layer of luxurious silvery fur all around my organs of thought......I don’t have to worry about snowstorms......I stride through them with an uncanny resemblance to Charlton Heston as Moses.......unconscious of the bitter, swirling winds.........

Blankets!?........Tchah! I snap my fingers at blankets....

Hah! Brother,......I still have a full head of wavy, bushy hair.......albeit it is a distinguished silvery grey......
Great warm cushion for my head to cover up the prodigious amount of brains I appear to have......

Some people are startled at the size of my head.....comparing it to a small nail keg.......slightly less dense, though......

And although I don’t have a beard to help warm my head along with that thick, snowy outcropping,........I have a large moustache that bears an uncanny resemblance to a miniature push broom for cookie crumbs when I smile.....

So, since I live in the sub-Arctic zone here around W.Penna.......I am well-equipped with a natural hirsute layer of luxurious silvery fur all around my organs of thought......I don’t have to worry about snowstorms......I stride through them with an uncanny resemblance to Charlton Heston as Moses.......unconscious of the bitter, swirling winds.........

Blankets!?........Tchah! I snap my fingers at blankets....
Blankets as seat covers were a staple in my family when I was a kid. So much so that I have lived in Georgia for over 30 years and both my pickup trucks have blanket seat covers.
I was in Jackson Ms. yesterday and Bruce Case (059 driver) told me the local union had a meeting on Thursday with the employees (shop & road) regarding this change of operations,.......it turns out the local says 'there will be plenty of work for those drivers transferring' but ABF management is saying 'those drivers are there to only turn Dallas.' I'm not sure what exactly the problem is but Bruce seems to think the company lied to the local union about the situation and whether Shreveport will be a growing terminal.

Blankets as seat covers were a staple in my family when I was a kid. So much so that I have lived in Georgia for over 30 years and both my pickup trucks have blanket seat covers.
I was in Jackson Ms. yesterday and Bruce Case (059 driver) told me the local union had a meeting on Thursday with the employees (shop & road) regarding this change of operations,.......it turns out the local says 'there will be plenty of work for those drivers transferring' but ABF management is saying 'those drivers are there to only turn Dallas.' I'm not sure what exactly the problem is but Bruce seems to think the company lied to the local union about the situation and whether Shreveport will be a growing terminal.
Just to turn Dallas? This company makes no sense to me. Why not put the drivers into the system and use them where the freight takes them. That’s the problem here in Orlando, for some reason they will only send us south. If freight is slow we don’t work. Why they can’t send us north and use us in the system when they claim they’re short drivers is beyond me. But yet we’ve had retirees, Dayton, Memphis, Little Rock, and Indy drivers coming in here taking freight out. That’s one of the reason this change pisses me off so much. I just don’t get it.

Just to turn Dallas? This company makes no sense to me. Why not put the drivers into the system and use them where the freight takes them. That’s the problem here in Orlando, for some reason they will only send us south. If freight is slow we don’t work. Why they can’t send us north and use us in the system when they claim they’re short drivers is beyond me. But yet we’ve had retirees, Dayton, Memphis, Little Rock, and Indy drivers coming in here taking freight out. That’s one of the reason this change pisses me off so much. I just don’t get it.
That is what the union steward in 059 and I were talking about yesterday. He said they are going to turn Dallas from Shreveport but not be allowed to go west of Dallas. So how is ABF saving money? For example, the current operating.....086 to 059 and Layover. 059 to 070 and layover. New operations 086 to 006 and layover. 006 turn 070 to bed. This cuts out a motel bill but if a drivers can't make 086 to 006 and has to go to bed, then that driver gets paid to finish their bid (from motel to 006). And a drivers has to (presumably from 006) come and get the load and take it to 006.
086-atl. 059-jan. 006-Shreveport. 070-Dal

That is what the union steward in 059 and I were talking about yesterday. He said they are going to turn Dallas from Shreveport but not be allowed to go west of Dallas. So how is ABF saving money? For example, the current operating.....086 to 059 and Layover. 059 to 070 and layover. New operations 086 to 006 and layover. 006 turn 070 to bed. This cuts out a motel bill but if a drivers can't make 086 to 006 and has to go to bed, then that driver gets paid to finish their bid (from motel to 006). And a drivers has to (presumably from 006) come and get the load and take it to 006.
086-atl. 059-jan. 006-Shreveport. 070-Dal
alot of these changes are the same situation.. iffy on time, conditions, question the saving of money.

Does anyone have a copy of the I-40 change of operations they can post? Not just employees change but the company's proposed reason for the change. I'm trying to get an idea of what managements overall plan is for the company from these first couple of changes.

Nightowl, any idea what you are going to do in this southern region change? You could probably come to Atlanta on southern modified.

Last edited:

Dropped my daughter off at Plilly International airport Friday night for her new job in Sarasota Fl. enjoying 85 degree weather, while i sat in my treestand yesterday in 34 degree temps & 25 mph wind. Who's the dummy....

Does anyone have a copy of the I-40 change of operations they can post? Not just employees change but the company's proposed reason for the change. I'm trying to get an idea of what managements overall plan is for the company from these first couple of changes.

Nightowl, any idea what you are going to do in this southern region change? You could probably come to Atlanta on southern modified.
From what i have seen all over, its the same verbage.. general terms as in all changes, not really specific.. improving transit times, driver utilization, yadayada.

I really think that everyone down here will keep working after the change. I think the lay-off numbers are just to get it approved. Just my feeling. If not I’m looking for something local to hold me off until April. We have 1 guy just retired and 3 more by spring which would put me back to work. If I can’t find anything local I’m thinking about coming to Atlanta until May and see where I’m at. If the guys down here aren’t retired by then I will just quit. I can’t keep traveling to Atlanta....

Atlanta is a long way. Hopefully, you can stay working in 222. I'm thinking along the same lines you are. ABF will lay people off in 222 but call them every callblock to work. I see them needing more than 7 drivers to handle Florida.

I talked to an Atlanta guy in Miami last night and he said he got caught in traffic and missed making it in by 15 minutes or so. There’ll be a lot of guys running short on that trip.

Nightowl, Google the 2 hour exception to the FMCSA driving rules. Also known as adverse driving conditions rule. The FMCSA changed the wording a few years ago and now includes the statement "shut-down of traffc due to a crash." That is what ABF is relying on for these new runs. In the question and answer segment of the rules it says something about if a driver could normally complete the run in 11hours he/she may drive 2 extra hours, 13 hours total, but shall not exceed the 14 hour work rule.

I have it downloaded as a pdf on my phone. I'll try to post a link next week.

Last edited:
What Is the Adverse Driving Conditions Exception?
If unexpected adverse driving conditions slow you down, you may drive up to 2 extra hours to complete what could have been driven in normal conditions. This means you could drive for up to 13 hours, which is 2 hours more than allowed under normal conditions. Adverse driving conditions mean things that you did not know about when you started your run, like snow, fog, or a shut-down of traffc due to a crash. Adverse driving conditions do not include situations that you should have known about, such as congested traffc during typical “rush hour” periods.

Even though you may drive 2 extra hours under this exception, you must not drive after the 14th consecutive hour after coming on duty, and you must comply with the minimum 30-minute rest break provisions.
This regulation is found in Section 395.1(b).

This is the new wording in the 2015 rule change.

What Is the Adverse Driving Conditions Exception?
If unexpected adverse driving conditions slow you down, you may drive up to 2 extra hours to complete what could have been driven in normal conditions. This means you could drive for up to 13 hours, which is 2 hours more than allowed under normal conditions. Adverse driving conditions mean things that you did not know about when you started your run, like snow, fog, or a shut-down of traffc due to a crash. Adverse driving conditions do not include situations that you should have known about, such as congested traffc during typical “rush hour” periods.

Even though you may drive 2 extra hours under this exception, you must not drive after the 14th consecutive hour after coming on duty, and you must comply with the minimum 30-minute rest break provisions.
This regulation is found in Section 395.1(b).

This is the new wording in the 2015 rule change.
I know what the rule is and it also not to be used for traffic that you would expect everyday, like rush hour in Miami or Atlanta. It’s to be used for “unexpected” events. We’ll just see what happens when these drivers are running out of hours every other day.