XPO | Chasing OD

[quote author=sportacus link=topic=80301.msg832295#msg832295 date=1274637623]
you need to look no further than the comments being made in your e-track thread to see why your where your at. we have been doing the rack trailer and hand held thing for awhile now and doing it successfully. its been interesting reading all your comments about something that makes all kinds of sense and is proven to work, yet all i read is a can't do attitude. therefore i have to disagree with the previous posters comments. good luck embracing your new equipment. it will make the difference.
[/quote]

We will agree to disagree!

The company is not chasing OD..

They are wanting to emulate them in matters of employee wages and benefits.

OD has been mentioned in several videos. This wasn't arbitrary...it was for a reason.

OD and Con-Way are nothing alike...two separate and distinct companies and operating models.

The company believes the OD wage/benefit model is the reason they continually turn in good numbers.

John L. mentioned it in a video some months back.

If they are not wanting to mirror the OD model of wages...then why mention it?

Changes are coming...not if but when.

Rat

OD's business model has very little to do with overtime(or lack of)first of all when a P/D driver comes in from the streets he clocks out and goes home,he doesn't spend the next 4 hours working the dock,isn't much OT there anyway,If a P/d driver wants to make extra money he can work saturday or sunday line-haul doing a turn or a meet.With very few exeptions line-haul doesn't do dock work either,we simply drive the trucks!!! as for pay the LOWEST paying line line position at my barn pays about 70k yearly.Your management just using OD as a smokescreen trying to hide their own lack of ideas of how to compete in the marketplace....

[quote author=DayliteDean link=topic=80301.msg832708#msg832708 date=1274750426]
OD's business model has very little to do with overtime(or lack of)first of all when a P/D driver comes in from the streets he clocks out and goes home,he doesn't spend the next 4 hours working the dock,isn't much OT there anyway,If a P/d driver wants to make extra money he can work saturday or sunday line-haul doing a turn or a meet.With very few exeptions line-haul doesn't do dock work either,we simply drive the trucks!!! as for pay the LOWEST paying line line position at my barn pays about 70k yearly.Your management just using OD as a smokescreen trying to hide their own lack of ideas of how to compete in the marketplace....
[/quote]

Thanks DD for the input.

The last sentence of your post is dead on...volumes said in a very few words.

I am so jealous!!! :hissy:

Rat :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Daylite you are 100% correct about Conway management.

[quote author=thestrap link=topic=80301.msg832767#msg832767 date=1274758966]
[/quote]

Daylite you are 100% correct about Conway management.
[/quote]

...or lack thereof...

Rat

If I am not mistaken , our management can look at examples of NO OVERTIME AFTER 8 in our own company. Since 2006 when we started going by one name under one color and supposedly by one set of rules , [glow=red,2,300]THE SOUTH STILL DOES [/glow] [glow=red,2,300]NOT PAY THE SAME[/glow]. As far as dock only workers , it depends on where you go as well , for example: we keep the same ones that are provided by a temp service. They are not permanent employees , yet the ones we have don't have turnover and have learned to work the dock and load O.K. The biggest drawback with this temp setup ( if we are going to use them ) is the fact that they have a set quiting time - which means that if they are in the middle of a job and it's quiting time , they drop what they are doing and roll out. Also if the job ( a big breaker or , loading a trailer ) looks like it might take too long ( close to quiting time ) then they won't touch it. By the way , my terminal competes with a HUGE Fed-Ex terminal and we are kind of small - 50 or so drivers about the same on doors - the P&D guys have been working OT for over a year , some running logs (over twelve). We have a lot of freight - most of it is good freight not ugly. Most management knows that it is cheaper to work a guy overtime than to hire a new man.

[/quote]
Daylite;
You couldn't have hit the nail on the head any better. I agree 100%. :clap: :clap:

I think one of reasons OD is doing better is the fact that we have a 10 spd transmission in all of our trucks. :poke:

[quote author=BillyLo link=topic=80301.msg833420#msg833420 date=1274992749]
I think one of reasons OD is doing better is the fact that we have a 10 spd transmission in all of our trucks. :poke:
[/quote]

I think your on to something there. Lets not forget that OD trucks are green and white while Con-way trucks are blue and white. It is an un-disputed fact, everybody knows that geen and white trucks go faster than blue and white trucks. :poke: :biglaugh: :dance: :hyper:

[quote author=radman link=topic=80301.msg833557#msg833557 date=1275055818]
[/quote]

I think your on to something there. Lets not forget that OD trucks are green and white while Con-way trucks are blue and white. It is an un-disputed fact, everybody knows that geen and white trucks go faster than blue and white trucks. :poke: :biglaugh: :dance: :hyper:
[/quote]
Also another thing is GREEN is the symbol of money and BLUE uh , uh well , IF you are Blue it mean either you are down like being depressed . Such as I am feeling blue today. OR if you are BLUE you are a Smurf.

[quote author=gunner1119 link=topic=80301.msg833567#msg833567 date=1275059059]
[quote author=radman link=topic=80301.msg833557#msg833557 date=1275055818]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Also another thing is GREEN is the symbol of money and BLUE uh , uh well , IF you are Blue it mean either you are down like being depressed . Such as I am feeling blue today. OR if you are BLUE you are a Smurf.
[/quote]

THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
John L. is really Papa smurf!!!!!!
Thats is why we have not turned a profit yet this year!!!!!
HOORAY :clap: :kicking: :banana: :thumbsup: :dance: :biglaugh: :poke: