XPO | Chasing OD

[quote author=mac daddy link=topic=80301.msg831186#msg831186 date=1274289437]
Why are we so worried about OD, when this place is such a mess? Where's Jerry D when you need him?
[/quote]JD made promises that weren't kept.

[quote author=mac daddy link=topic=80301.msg831186#msg831186 date=1274289437]
Why are we so worried about OD, when this place is such a mess? Where's Jerry D when you need him?
[/quote]

The answer to your query is quite simple...

OD has been turning in better numbers than any other LTL carrier. They have consistently beaten every one else in the marketplace in OR. While they have suffered from the economic meltdown like everyone else...they are still in the black. OD didn't get into the pricing war...the focused on service...which is the only thing we have to offer...regardless of the name on the door.

Their CEO...Earl C. is nobody's fool...evidently a sharp cookie...something we don't seem to possess.

Con-Way management is at a loss to understand how OD is pulling this off in the current economic environment. OD seems to be in the business of moving freight...servicing customers...and making a profit.

We seem to be in the business of doing everything diametrically opposed to accomplishing those ends.

We have went from a company that encouraged commitment, excellence, and employee involvement...to a company demanding it upon threat of termination. It has become a place of confrontation...rather than teamwork. We have sank into the crevasse of so so...

Over the last several years this organization has with intent set out to diminish our compensation. They are bean counters with accounting degrees...financial degrees... or just plain ole business degrees. Regardless of the paper... they have all been taught the same song and dance...labor is bad. (I was taught the same BS when I pursued my little paper).

Reducing labor cost is easy...just tell the rank and file we are cutting your wages. We have experienced this. And will experience it again. It is an instant benefit...usually realized in a week...two at the maximum. Rather than optimize and tweak..it is easier to cut the rug out from the people who are on the street making those dollars they so desperately desire.

This has been done with intent...using the economy as an excuse...

We have lost wages...insurance benefits and coverage...(just ask the new people what they are getting)...the 401K match is all but gone...they robbed us of our vacation benefit (aimed solely at the future retirees)...lost 5% of our wages...said they were returning 2.5% and then increased the insurance premiums in the same breath effectively wiping out the returned wages...insulting everyone who works here...eco-termed people at the drop af a hat...and acting as if it were a good thing...for the survival of the company...which is just so much BS!...and to insult to injury capped the company pension.

18 months ago they closed many facilities...killed the financial livelihood of hundreds...then invited them back as 'new' hires...upended the lifestyles of many...yet demanding more and more...just because they can based on their self serving opinion people will stay because they nowhere else to go...and this may be true for the moment...but things are changing.

Times are changing and so is the mindset of the average Con-Way employee...without fail everyone I have talked to has had enough...and they are looking to either retire or just get the hell out. There is nothing left anymore. The reasons to be employed here have been systematically and with intent reduced to just another company with the notion that 'labor' is the root cause of their problems...nothing special anymore.

They came 'hat in hand' decrying the need to be their own bank. Sent they big shots around explaining the need for the wage and benefit cuts...just had to be done or as in their words "we won't be here next year."

They lied through their teeth...using the economy as a scapegoat...scaring the hell out of the surviving employees with the threat of discontinuity...and so it went.

Now a year later what do we have?

We have purchased hundreds of new trucks...spent money on e-track trailers...millions on the 'handhelds'...and yes boys and girls...we just had to follow the kid into the Nascar NationWide series...declaring an ROI before the Mustang ever turned a wheel.

And guess who paid for it?

You did.

With your lost wages...decreased insurance coverage...and stolen vacation...and God only knows what else.

So back to the OD model...

This company is at a loss to understand how OD is pulling this off. They only thing they see is the no overtime until 60 hours that OD has in place...and that is what they are going to key on. This was mentioned in a video by John L. sometime back...it was a forerunner of things to come...it wasn't mentioned arbitrarily...there was intent behind it...

Mark my words...this company will be changing the OT policy...they think this is what is making OD profitable... (they have no clue!)...the NMFA folks have taken significant wage concessions...and if you think this company will maintain the current status quo...you had better think again...with the concessions will come yet another excuse as to cut wages and benefits...to remain 'competitive'.

Being competitive is more than wages, benefits, and pricing...it is a pre-determined set of values that uses the synergistic energies of the whole to achieve the desired result.

This has went away and will never return.

Rat

I just started at OD yesterday. All the management seems really nice. Linehaul drivers are cool. I think a couple of the reasons OD is in the black ink are as follows....

1. OD top linehaul mileage is roughly 10% lower than the competitors. FXF mileage is .578
2. OD makes new hires pay for physicals and pre-employment drug screens.
3. OD doesn't pay delay time
4. OD only pays $6 to string or break a set. FXF pays $11 OD pays $1.50 to fuel. FXF pays $5.50
5. OD tractors has no stereo's......stripped down freightliners. FXF fully-loaded Volvo's w/smooth ride

If you add OD cost's compared to FXF it has to be alot lower. I used FXF as an example because i use to work there and know the rates,etc. 2 drivers, one being OD and the other FXF running linehaul [road] the FXF driver will make 10-15 grand more. Same miles,etc.

Man i hope FXF calls me soon for rehire. :shift:

RAT....u GOT SOME INSIDE INFO OR WHAT???..........FUNNY HOW OLD D IS THE CREAM OF THE CROP....ANY WAY.... COULD IT BE THEY STUCK TO THEIR VALUES AND ELIMINATED WACKY PRICINGS...WHERE CON-WAY DROPPED THEIR DRAWS AND WENT AGAINST EVERYTHING THEY ONCE STOOD FOR...EXPECT THEM TO TAKE MORE AND MORE FORM THE EMPLOYEES..THEY ONLY ONES THAT DO BENEFIT ARE THE OLD TIMERS OVER 10 YRS IN THERE ALL VESTED AND MAKE TOP PAY...ANY NEW GUYS ARE SCREWED....

[quote author=Outsider link=topic=80301.msg831354#msg831354 date=1274333949]
I just started at OD yesterday. All the management seems really nice. Linehaul drivers are cool. I think a couple of the reasons OD is in the black ink are as follows....

1. OD top linehaul mileage is roughly 10% lower than the competitors. FXF mileage is .578
2. OD makes new hires pay for physicals and pre-employment drug screens.
3. OD doesn't pay delay time
4. OD only pays $6 to string or break a set. FXF pays $11 OD pays $1.50 to fuel. FXF pays $5.50
5. OD tractors has no stereo's......stripped down freightliners. FXF fully-loaded Volvo's w/smooth ride

If you add OD cost's compared to FXF it has to be alot lower. I used FXF as an example because i use to work there and know the rates,etc. 2 drivers, one being OD and the other FXF running linehaul [road] the FXF driver will make 10-15 grand more. Same miles,etc.

Man i hope FXF calls me soon for rehire. :shift:
[/quote] If you left in good standing from a reconfiguration you will be called soon, provided you didn't take the buyout money offered. FXF is hiring straight off the street to Road driver jobs all thru the system ( with verifiable experience.) Rat was talking about OD keeping profits up... I remember AF did the same thing (cut costs to the bone) just before they were bought out by FEDEX. Everybody over here at FEDEX is talking merger with National. Maybe, but more likely is a purchase of OD by FEDEX. Buy it and dismantle it just like they did VIKING.

I look for the no overtime until 50 hrs and I also look for the flat rate of hooking and fueling. I think we should get rid of the race car because it does not generate any profit. It just lets the big wigs go on a all expense paid weekend on us to play with their toy. This job for me is just a pay check anymore. I do my job and go home. I would like to help in saving the company money by proposing an opt out option for all communication meetings. I don't need my TM to read to me like a 3yr old. Well have a great day and be safe.

Keepin the dream alive

MD
62 sucks!!!!!!

I don't think they have the balls to take away the OT. Maybe they do. In my opinion if they take the ot away 2 things will happen, the union will be voted in and they will close or the company will go down hill so fast that they will close. We have put up with so much crap that you can only beat a dog so long and it is going to bite back. History repeats itself.

[quote author=dodge ram link=topic=80301.msg831499#msg831499 date=1274389106]
I don't think they have the balls to take away the OT. Maybe they do. In my opinion if they take the ot away 2 things will happen, the union will be voted in and they will close or the company will go down hill so fast that they will close. We have put up with so much crap that you can only beat a dog so long and it is going to bite back. History repeats itself.
[/quote]

I could not agree with you more.No way is OT going anywhere, that will let the Jeanny out of the bottle.

[/quote]

And therein lies the rub...

Con-Way will never be a unionized company...ever.

Not because of anything the company will do or not do...it lies strictly at the feet of the people employed here.

Put simply...the masss of the rank and file don't have the stomache for it.

As a group..we have been so indoctrinated to the ongoing, relentless, and never ending barage of corporate BS...that we have become accustomed to it...expecting it...as if it some normal and respectable way of doing business. Thinking this is the way every LTL company operates...

The people employed by this company are not about to risk what little they have left on the promises (or lack thereof) of a union contract...and the reason is simple...they don't understand the process.

They have little or no conception of what is it like to work under a contract that has specific work rules...grievance procedures...and other specific guidelines...none of which currently exist at Con-Way.

Hell!...we don't even have a published policy manual.

This company knows any impending organization of labor isn't going to happen. They capitalize on that mindset in everything they do regarding the pay/benefit structure of the average employee.

So what is the worry?...is certainly isn't the Teamsters...they haven't been doing so well as of late.

The worry lies in the fact they are apprehensive about a mass exodus of qualified people. This company has went out of its way in the recent past to disenfranchise any personal recognition or relationship with it employees or any specific group of employees...it was done intentionally...turning a once viable competitive group of people into a bunch of automatons...doing the company's bidding on threat of disciplinary action...loss of employment for any given reason...just because they can.

They made some very serious miscalculations in Nov 08...in that misstep they demonstrated their readiness to eco-term people without recourse...and then again weeks later in the Black Friday slaughter. Those decisions have now come back to haunt them...not only in the lack of ability to service customers...but in the overall perception many in the employ of this company have come to recognize.

That recognition is in the fact this company will drop you like a bad habit at any given time without consideration or recourse...and have no qualms about doing it...proving our contributions...length of service and dedication doesn't hold any significance to those in the executive suite.

The events over the last several years have proven we don't matter to the palace...they have demonstrated this time and again...having the mindset we are easily replaceable...maybe not.

The dedicated dock work/temp agency experiment is an obvious failure...although they will never admit it. These people have no vested interest in the continuity of Con-Way...they work for the temp agency not Con-Way. These people spend more time in the breakroom or talking than moving freight. I know some are busting their balls attempting to secure actual employment...but for the most part the lion's share of them are not. They aren't willing to jump thru hoops to get there.

As far as this company not having the balls to change the OT policy...Oh Yeah!...they got 'em...and will use them when the time is right...right now the main concern is how to keep the ship above water...once they have determined how to pull off this feat sans you and I...we will once again be 'enhanced'.

Rat

[quote author=Rat link=topic=80301.msg831626#msg831626 date=1274418058]
[/quote]

Not because of anything the company will do or not do...it lies strictly at the feet of the people employed here.

As a group..we have been so indoctrinated to the ongoing, relentless, and never ending barage of corporate BS...that we have become accustomed to it...expecting it...as if it some normal and respectable way of doing business. Thinking this is the way every LTL company operates...

The people employed by this company are not about to risk what little they have left on the promises (or lack thereof) of a union contract...and the reason is simple...they don't understand the process.

They have little or no conception of what is it like to work under a contract that has specific work rules...grievance procedures...and other specific guidelines...none of which currently exist at Con-Way.

This company knows any impending organization of labor isn't going to happen. They capitalize on that mindset in everything they do regarding the pay/benefit structure of the average employee.

So what is the worry?...is certainly isn't the Teamsters...they haven't been doing so well as of late.

The worry lies in the fact they are apprehensive about a mass exodus of qualified people. This company has went out of its way in the recent past to disenfranchise any personal recognition or relationship with it employees or any specific group of employees...it was done intentionally...turning a once viable competitive group of people into a bunch of automatons...doing the company's bidding on threat of disciplinary action...loss of employment for any given reason...just because they can.

They made some very serious miscalculations in Nov 08...in that misstep they demonstrated their readiness to eco-term people without recourse...and then again weeks later in the Black Friday slaughter. Those decisions have now come back to haunt them...not only in the lack of ability to service customers...but in the overall perception many in the employ of this company have come to recognize.

That recognition is in the fact this company will drop you like a bad habit at any given time without consideration or recourse...and have no qualms about doing it...proving our contributions...length of service and dedication doesn't hold any significance to those in the executive suite.

The events over the last several years have proven we don't matter to the palace...they have demonstrated this time and again...having the mindset we are easily replaceable...maybe not.

The dedicated dock work/temp agency experiment is an obvious failure...although they will never admit it. These people have no vested interest in the continuity of Con-Way...they work for the temp agency not Con-Way. These people spend more time in the breakroom or talking than moving freight. I know some are busting their balls attempting to secure actual employment...but for the most part the lion's share of them are not. They aren't willing to jump thru hoops to get there.

As far as this company not having the balls to change the OT policy...Oh Yeah!...they got 'em...and will use them when the time is right...right now the main concern is how to keep the ship above water...once they have determined how to pull off this feat sans you and I...we will once again be 'enhanced'.

Rat
[/quote]
Right on the money again Rat. I have been expecting the OT to change for a couple of years . There is ONE thing that I think is be the same as when Jerry D. was here. Jerry always said if Con-Way Organized they would close the doors. I believe the same thing would happen today. BUT there is a big difference between the days of Jerry and now. When Jerry was here nothing was broken.No one could make a argument for organizing. NOW the bean counters have broken what Jerry built. NOW people are thinking about it. I am just hoping that things stays afloat until I can get things ready to retire early or find another way out. Only the Good Lord knows how hard I am trying.

[quote author=gunner1119 link=topic=80301.msg831699#msg831699 date=1274452975]
[quote author=Rat link=topic=80301.msg831626#msg831626 date=1274418058]
[/quote]

Rat
[/quote]
Right on the money again Rat. I have been expecting the OT to change for a couple of years . There is ONE thing that I think is be the same as when Jerry D. was here. Jerry always said if Con-Way Organized they would close the doors. I believe the same thing would happen today. BUT there is a big difference between the days of Jerry and now. When Jerry was here nothing was broken.No one could make a argument for organizing. NOW the bean counters have broken what Jerry built. NOW people are thinking about it. I am just hoping that things stays afloat until I can get things ready to retire early or find another way out. Only the Good Lord knows how hard I am trying.
[/quote]

Well my friend...you are not the only one looking for a way out...

I have been around this bozo organization for a spell....and know many peeps from different areas.

There is one constant and consistent thread..."How do I get the hell out?.....

Many of my friends have been here for many moons...and they are afraid to start over...not wanting to give up their seniority and years of service...and I cannot blame them for their decision.

They have become comfortable in their particular situation...and are willing to accept the continuous "enhancements" doled out by Con-Way on "Any Given Monday'...hoping in the end things will get better..although they will not...wishing for a return to the 'good old days'....not going to happen.

There are others of us (myself included) who have come to recognize our time at Con-Way as nothing more than a job...and a questionable one at that.

No integrity...no committment...no recognition of contribution...a complete lack of acknowledgement towards the efforts of those who have gone the extra mile to make this company what it is today ( or was!)...

It is a heart wrenching reality to come to grips with witnessing your company reduce itself to mediocrity.

There is a strange parellel between YRC and Con-Way...both companies bit off more than the could chew...and both are downsizing in wages, benefits, and overall operations in attempt to return to profitability...

Con-Way bet the farm on the demise of YRC...didn't happen...we discounted to the hilt...in a vain attempt to hasten that event...didn't work...now they are backpedaling...wanting to return to the day of pre-YRC manipulation...and that is not going to work either.

The horse is out of the barn...

Con-Way has finally stepped on themselves in such manner that does not afford manipulation...they are not in a position to dictate to the customers the tarriff rates they hold so dear...now they are wanting to rid themselves of the lower profit customers....hello!!!...it was the rate cuts that made these customers lower profit!....

After all the cuts and 'enhancements'...this company still cannot make a profit...or so they say...their integrity is certainly in question these days...The bottom line is this...you don't matter...your family doesn't matter...your performance doesn't matter...

We are viewed as a liability...a labor cost to be reduced any way possible...

Their view..."labor is bad...management is good!"...

This economy has made for the opportunity to declare 'open season' on any benefits employees may have.

Con-Way could have refused to participate in this genre...instead they chose to embrace it...with a vengeance...participating in every under-handed stunt they could think of and blame the economy in the meantime...

The OT is definitely going to change...the only concern is when....

Rat

Chasing OD?, I don't see it. Comparing ourselves to OD, yes. But the only public comparison has been as publicly traded companies, operating ratios, and profits. In any competition it's fundamental principles of performance that will make or break your success of beating the competitor. Until we became publicly traded our whole focus was on claims and on-time performance. Customer service fueled profitability. The current investments into intelligence, technology, and state of the art assets will be seen as both catch-up and race winners in the next few years. However, the playing surface will continue to change (the economy) and every team will continue to adjust their own strategies of performance. Some teams are better prepared to play in the rain... adverse conditions. But on our field of battle, no one has forecast the rain to stop for a long, long time.

But, opinions can be like fodder. Too much and ya loose your taste for it and there's always an odorous by-product that someone has to clean up. Much like parents and youth sports, too much focus on the scoreboard and too little on understanding how the game is really played.

[quote author=Merdock link=topic=80301.msg831951#msg831951 date=1274536738]
Until we became publicly traded our whole focus was on claims and on-time performance.
[/quote]Con-way was publicly traded on day 1.

In my part of the world, we are not losing any freight to OD. The only freight we lose is to FedEx,Saia, and Estes because they are offering customers cheaper rates. All the while we continue to grow. Our market share is getting larger, not smaller. Con-way is not chasing OD, rather OD is chasing us and we are chasing FedEx and FedEx was chasing YRC. FedEx is the top dog now, biggest LTL in the nation with YRC a distant second falling farther and farther behind with Con-way gearing up to take there spot as second LTL giant. The sky is not falling drivers.

OD does have the best OR in the industry and has had the best OR in the industry for YEARS!!!!!! They are not a TDC company like us, they focus primarily on VOLUME, pack a trailer until it is cubed out, floor to ceiling,front to back. They have a better OR and have had a better OR because of the tremendous volume in the there trailers and because there drivers are not compensated as well as drivers are with other companies. IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS there drivers make $22 and some change but they do not get paid OT. I don't know what there line drivers make. OD has a good business strategy for the niche of the market that they occupy. That does not mean that it will work for us or any other company though.

We occupy a different niche and we are competing against the giant that FedEx Freight has become. We are not chasing OD, we are chasing FedEx freight as we slowly but surely overtake YRC. FedEx is our #1 competitor. FedEx pays OT after 8 hours and as long as they do, we will. FedEx and Con-way are basically following the same business strategy, which has unfortunately included a price war to get freight which has turned out to be a race to the bottom as far as profits go.Hopefully with the return of some prosperity, all of that nonsense will come to an end. I know we are raising our rates to return to profitably. We have not gotten any more "enhancements" as some like to call our paycuts,401K take back, etc etc, we have raised our rates instead.

So many on this board have a negative attitude toward the company and I understand where you are coming from. The last 2 years have been difficult to say the least. We are on the verge of turning a corner though where we will find ourselves getting back what was taken and getting bonus and raises again. Will the company ever be like it was??? NO, it will not. Nothing stays the same, we all have to learn to adapt to the changes that are happening around us. Drivers like myself who are young and have a long time to go to get to retirement are really going to have to learn to adapt because this industry and this company is going to keep changing, to the point that we may not recognize it when we retire.Do those changes include the loss of OT after 8 hours, I don't think so. Do those changes include hiring so many dock workers and drivers that there is no need to pay OT because almost no one works more than 8 hours in a day, probably.

It is what it is, WTF!!! I am glad that I hired on with this outfit. I believe we ALL have a bright future in front of us as long as we all pull together in the same direction. :thumbsup:

[quote author=radman link=topic=80301.msg831984#msg831984 date=1274542364]
In my part of the world, we are not losing any freight to OD. The only freight we lose is to FedEx,Saia, and Estes because they are offering customers cheaper rates. All the while we continue to grow. Our market share is getting larger, not smaller. Con-way is not chasing OD, rather OD is chasing us and we are chasing FedEx and FedEx was chasing YRC. FedEx is the top dog now, biggest LTL in the nation with YRC a distant second falling farther and farther behind with Con-way gearing up to take there spot as second LTL giant. The sky is not falling drivers.

OD does have the best OR in the industry and has had the best OR in the industry for YEARS!!!!!! They are not a TDC company like us, they focus primarily on VOLUME, pack a trailer until it is cubed out, floor to ceiling,front to back. They have a better OR and have had a better OR because of the tremendous volume in the there trailers and because there drivers are not compensated as well as drivers are with other companies. IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS there drivers make $22 and some change but they do not get paid OT. I don't know what there line drivers make. OD has a good business strategy for the niche of the market that they occupy. That does not mean that it will work for us or any other company though.

We occupy a different niche and we are competing against the giant that FedEx Freight has become. We are not chasing OD, we are chasing FedEx freight as we slowly but surely overtake YRC. FedEx is our #1 competitor. FedEx pays OT after 8 hours and as long as they do, we will. FedEx and Con-way are basically following the same business strategy, which has unfortunately included a price war to get freight which has turned out to be a race to the bottom as far as profits go.Hopefully with the return of some prosperity, all of that nonsense will come to an end. I know we are raising our rates to return to profitably. We have not gotten any more "enhancements" as some like to call our paycuts,401K take back, etc etc, we have raised our rates instead.

So many on this board have a negative attitude toward the company and I understand where you are coming from. The last 2 years have been difficult to say the least. We are on the verge of turning a corner though where we will find ourselves getting back what was taken and getting bonus and raises again. Will the company ever be like it was??? NO, it will not. Nothing stays the same, we all have to learn to adapt to the changes that are happening around us. Drivers like myself who are young and have a long time to go to get to retirement are really going to have to learn to adapt because this industry and this company is going to keep changing, to the point that we may not recognize it when we retire.Do those changes include the loss of OT after 8 hours, I don't think so. Do those changes include hiring so many dock workers and drivers that there is no need to pay OT because almost no one works more than 8 hours in a day, probably.

It is what it is, WTF!!! I am glad that I hired on with this outfit. I believe we ALL have a bright future in front of us as long as we all pull together in the same direction. :thumbsup:
[/quote]
It makes a difference where you are at. In our area we have lost freight back to YRC every since they announced they were staying afloat and we have been slowly loosing freight for months now to OD. Our terminal is not very big. We used to run around 10 to 12 runs a night. Now we are down to 7 to 8. Our Sales Rep. isn't worth a squat BUT did spend a long time in XGO bouncing from department to department ,So there for is qualified for the job.

The bottom line is this. We are simply being out-coached. Our coaches (Doug S., John L., Vice-Presidents, Regional Managers, and some Service Center Managers) are not as good as OD's coaches! They seem to be to comfortable in what they are doing and have done in the past.

Our coaches aren't as smart as they think they are, but they are much faster to pass the blame onto others.

We have a much deeper line-up than does OD, meaning our employees are able to do much more, better. Not by choice of course, but we can get do any job asked of us.

It time for a shake-up in the front office. We have a New York Yankee payroll and line-up with a Baltimore Orioles record.
It's time for our Coaches to take responsibility for the teams over-all record. We the players, are playing as hard as we can. We are playing by the rules that our coaches put forth to us and in some cases those rules/strategies haven't worked, nor will they work. But our coaches are much to proud (pompous) to admit that they have made mistakes.

OD is the Tampa Bay Rays of the LTL industry. They play in front of smaller crowds but the are the best in the league. The same league we are in and we are being schooled.

It all comes down to coaching!

you need to look no further than the comments being made in your e-track thread to see why your where your at. we have been doing the rack trailer and hand held thing for awhile now and doing it successfully. its been interesting reading all your comments about something that makes all kinds of sense and is proven to work, yet all i read is a can't do attitude. therefore i have to disagree with the previous posters comments. good luck embracing your new equipment. it will make the difference.