Holland | Check 5th Wheel

wongway

-15% Yellow step-child supporter !!
Credits
Runaway-trailer.png

How many drivers actually look underneath at the jaws or bar to be sure the fifth wheel is secure? Not that hard to jack the trailer or the set and look at the fifth wheels to see for sure without having to crawl underneath. Could save a driver from a serious situation one day.

May not have been the drivers fault? Volvo should have done a recall on the automatic fifth wheel release there is some kind of valve that goes bad when you hit the brakes hard it opens the jaws a few drivers I know have had this happen to them. That's why UPS has all manual fifth wheels have to pull the pin yourself.

I pulled up Volvo recalls online and found out that the Air Release 5th wheel has been on the recall list several times for the same consistent problem. An air cylinder/chamber can become clogged by exhaust causing this mechanism to malfunction. I have also talked to a Volvo Tech and even he has stated that if these are not working right they can become dangerous. I have read other blogs on other sites where guys are complaining about this similar problem and another problem with their 5th wheel not wanting to close.

How many drivers actually look underneath at the jaws or bar to be sure the fifth wheel is secure? Not that hard to jack the trailer or the set and look at the fifth wheels to see for sure without having to crawl underneath. Could save a driver from a serious situation one day.
I pulled one from Atl. to Kings Mt. with the kingpin sitting on top of the jaws, why I didn't lose it, I'll never know.
Ole dumbazz me never looked under.

How many 1out of a 100 1 out of 10000 but soon as a trailer comes all have check was not the drivers fault defect in 5th wheel. How would know if u never look at it.

I was taught to look to make sure everything is properly latched and in 20 plus years of driving have found a handful of times where handle was engaged properly but locking pin was not. Scary thought if i didn't check it and went down the road with it that way

How many 1out of a 100 1 out of 10000 but soon as a trailer comes off all have check was not the drivers fault defect in 5th wheel. How would know if uHow many 1out of a 100 1 out of 10000 but soon as a trailer comes all have check was not the drivers fault defect in 5th wheel. How would know if u never look at it.

I used to look under and check the jaws after I decided to get off the street & became a hostler doing linehaul hooks. Since I wasn't the one pulling the set I figured it was my responsibility to get it out the gate safely.
That’s great that you feel that way, however, why would someone think they don’t have to pretrip a hooked set?

Sit in the yard sometime, and watch how many actually do a real pre trip. Including checking 5th wheel, and pintle hook. Many of those are the trailers that end up coming unhooked.
We had a few Line-haul guys that refused to pre-trip because they said they didn't get paid for it , so they just hoped in and took off down the road ................:shift:

We had a few Line-haul guys that refused to pre-trip because they said they didn't get paid for it , so they just hoped in and took off down the road ................:shift:
My point was, and still is, do they not realize that they are responsible, legally and otherwise for pre tripping? There is no, I repeat no, provision for not doing it, paid or not.

If you keep snitching on line drivers, I will reveal your parking place where you hide and read your Captain Marvel comic book.
I have a witness who clocked you at 47.5 mph while looking in your mirror at this excessive speed.
You may want to think about this before ratting on a line driver.
Next, you will be claiming a line driver lied or couldn't answer a question on any subject.