Holland | Check 5th Wheel

If you keep snitching on line drivers, I will reveal your parking place where you hide and read your Captain Marvel comic book.
I have a witness who clocked you at 47.5 mph while looking in your mirror at this excessive speed.
You may want to think about this before ratting on a line driver.
Next, you will be claiming a line driver lied or couldn't answer a question on any subject.
Not snitching , just think its FUNNY that they don't value their own life enough to pre-trip , I don't care if anybody does it , I just do it cause I value my own life more than worrying about getting paid for it . 10-4 and Mirrors are my 1st pre-trip inspection too and it was only 46 mph :lmao:and key word HAD a few driver's , they took jobs over at Swift Safety Dept. for more $$$$

May not have been the drivers fault? Volvo should have done a recall on the automatic fifth wheel release there is some kind of valve that goes bad when you hit the brakes hard it opens the jaws a few drivers I know have had this happen to them. That's why UPS has all manual fifth wheels have to pull the pin yourself.
First I've heard of this with volvos. We have the same problem with the freightliners in MI.

That’s great that you feel that way, however, why would someone think they don’t have to pretrip a hooked set?
Whether the line driver did their pretrips or not that's on them not me. but pulling that set in my yard I sure as hell made sure it was hooked. On another note we had some big bellied line drivers & we didn't want them to pass out squatting under a trailer to take a look. Lol

Whether the line driver did their pretrips or not that's on them not me. but pulling that set in my yard I sure as hell made sure it was hooked. On another note we had some big bellied line drivers & we didn't want them to pass out squatting under a trailer to take a look. Lol

That's why I jack my units so I don't have to squat. I can get down easily, it's the getting back up that is a strain sometimes. You can verify that with Seabreeze since he's probably been troubled by getting up for a longer time than me. :hilarious:

That's why I jack my units so I don't have to squat. I can get down easily, it's the getting back up that is a strain sometimes. You can verify that with Seabreeze since he's probably been troubled by getting up for a longer time than me. :hilarious:
Ours became short winded squatting down. They did ok bending over. :hide:

Last edited:
We had a few Line-haul guys that refused to pre-trip because they said they didn't get paid for it , so they just hoped in and took off down the road ................:shift:
Drivers responsibility to pre trip equipment prior to hitting the road. And as a old TM always said you get between 10-15 min time leeway to do so on the clock. The drivers you describe are just plain lazy and irresponsible. Lights, tires, and connections are a minimum pre trip and every driver should do that.

Lazy ones only do the lights and tires and a tug, but tugs don’t tell half the story. After thousands of drop and hooks I had a trailer full of vodka come off the 5th wheel thankfully I caught it on the rail and was able to crank it up and re hook because that claim would have been bad.

Since that happened I have become anal about checking the connection. I used to just listen for the click and tug a few times as I got complacent over the years. Had a steward when I was at Holland always say pull forward and turn the tractor, get out and visually check to make sure the jaws are locked and the saftey pin is out all the way because grease can build up and not allow the pin to come fully out. If that pin is not fully out you will still be hooked and able to pull the trailer but at some point it may come loose and that may happen to anyone. Carry a can of PB Blaster and spray that pin and all the springs under the 5th wheel occasionally and you will have less to worry about.

Kindly watch your smart remarks.
I fell off my creeper under my tractor yesterday, I actually got up by myself, after a short struggle.

Drivers responsibility to pre trip equipment prior to hitting the road. And as a old TM always said you get between 10-15 min time leeway to do so on the clock. The drivers you describe are just plain lazy and irresponsible. Lights, tires, and connections are a minimum pre trip and every driver should do that.

Lazy ones only do the lights and tires and a tug, but tugs don’t tell half the story. After thousands of drop and hooks I had a trailer full of vodka come off the 5th wheel thankfully I caught it on the rail and was able to crank it up and re hook because that claim would have been bad.

Since that happened I have become anal about checking the connection. I used to just listen for the click and tug a few times as I got complacent over the years. Had a steward when I was at Holland always say pull forward and turn the tractor, get out and visually check to make sure the jaws are locked and the saftey pin is out all the way because grease can build up and not allow the pin to come fully out. If that pin is not fully out you will still be hooked and able to pull the trailer but at some point it may come loose and that may happen to anyone. Carry a can of PB Blaster and spray that pin and all the springs under the 5th wheel occasionally and you will have less to worry about.
You pre-trippers have your own ideas.
I always go to the shop, tell one of the mechanics to check out my unit, turn on the heater and call me when the cab gets warm while I have my coffee.