Holland | Check 5th Wheel

If I tugged on the lead trailer after hooking, & I stayed hooked, I never looked @ the jaws of the 5th wheel. I did check the pull handle & make sure it was retracted all the way. in 20 years I never had an incident when I followed my procedure.

If I tugged on the lead trailer after hooking, & I stayed hooked, I never looked @ the jaws of the 5th wheel. I did check the pull handle & make sure it was retracted all the way. in 20 years I never had an incident when I followed my procedure.

You were lucky. I had one come apart even after I looked at the jaws and the handle. You never know with any mechanical device.

You were lucky. I had one come apart even after I looked at the jaws and the handle. You never know with any mechanical device.
Our former mechanic Bob can more once told me that if you yank on it and you stay hook and you check to see The lever has completely retracted then you've done your job for the pre trip and should have no expectation that the 5th will fail. If the lead trailer should come detached from the 5th wheel that's a mechanical failure not a driver failure. I know of 2 incidents when this happened at my 17 years at 050 and both times they sent the 5th wheel to Fort Smith for inspection and both times they found excessive wear. I don't remember the outcome but I don't think the driver was held responsible

I can say that Bob Our mechanic always check the 5th wheels and lube them if necessary especially on the city trackers where he had access to him all the time period. Not only was he a good mechanic but he was very safety minded and that always gave me a relief that my tractor was kept in pretty good shape. I know he saved the company a lot of money but now days I understand all the repairs light bulbs minor stuff that Bob did all the time is now being done by outside vendors at a much greater cost. Von

Our former mechanic Bob can more once told me that if you yank on it and you stay hook and you check to see The lever has completely retracted then you've done your job for the pre trip and should have no expectation that the 5th will fail. If the lead trailer should come detached from the 5th wheel that's a mechanical failure not a driver failure. I know of 2 incidents when this happened at my 17 years at 050 and both times they sent the 5th wheel to Fort Smith for inspection and both times they found excessive wear. I don't remember the outcome but I don't think the driver was held responsible
Anything man made is made to fail, just look at all us truck drivers straight failure

Can't blame this one the bad 5th wheel maintenance , as it stayed hooked !!
176200448_4397633623597263_6886957707034563696_n.jpg
that's what you call... forked freight