ABF | city casual combo driver

MUSCLETRUCKER

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello all. I have a few questions, hopefully I can get straight answers. I have an interview on tomorrow for city casual combo. I understand that its part time, but im wondering how many hours. Will they let a casual get. What the heck does union scale really mean as far as pay is concerned. Can a casual get benefits? Can a casual join the Union? Thanks for any info you can so ill know what im walking into. Also how long is the hiring process after the interview. Again thanks for the info.

I think it usually takes about a month to six weeks for them to complete the checks. I don't know what the language is now but the contract used to have some about how much they can work casuals before they have to hire someone. It really depends on where you are. Sometimes casual can be a full time job.

Hello all. I have a few questions, hopefully I can get straight answers. I have an interview on tomorrow for city casual combo. I understand that its part time, but im wondering how many hours. Will they let a casual get. What the heck does union scale really mean as far as pay is concerned. Can a casual get benefits? Can a casual join the Union? Thanks for any info you can so ill know what im walking into. Also how long is the hiring process after the interview. Again thanks for the info.
Boilerpeddle covered the hiring process. You say part time. I do believe that it's an 8 hour guarantee on any day you work all over the country. It will not necessarily be every day though, that will depend on work load. Union scale varies a little around the country but where I am it's $22.75/hr +- casual is less but don't know how much less. We have new contract so some of the language has changed. Once you've worked the required number of days over a given period time (language like 60 days worked in 90 or something similar) you switch from casual to probationary and get 90% of top rate. Not sure but I think they pay into the health care for you but not the pension for quite a while. How much you have to work to have that health care varies widely across the country so your location will determine that one.

Give me a day and I'll dig into it a little deeper.

Hey guys thanks for the input. All info appreciated. interview went well. The TM was really nice. Now its just the whole sit back and wait part. Hope it all goes well.

be truthful in everything. ABF will check and recheck your history. If they find a problem your chances of getting hired just nose dived.

Hey guys thanks for the input. All info appreciated. interview went well. The TM was really nice. Now its just the whole sit back and wait part. Hope it all goes well.
be truthful in everything. ABF will check and recheck your history. If they find a problem your chances of getting hired just nose dived.
Yes, what drumhead said. I suspect that by now it would be too late if you messed up on your app. You must dot every I and cross every T. Left out a ticket or accident? DOA. I had a couple of tickets, couldn't remember exactly when they were but of course they were for speeding, it's my only sin. I jotted down a window of time and speeding, paid fine, don't remember how much etc and it passed. Too many forget that obscure ticket from days gone by and figure it's not worth worrying about. But it is, it's a deal killer. I don't know what percentage of applicants actually get hired but I think it's pretty low. They may call you day after day with a picayune question or they may not, have heard of both. If they quit calling altogether it's a bad thing. Good luck to you. I will look into casual pay and post it.

I am not positive on casual pay because it just refers back to an increase on current wage and does not give the current wage. It looks like it's 85% of the top rate of the respective location. That would come to $19.25/hr or so in my area.

I just started as casual your pay will be like 13 bucks an hour but on your check there is section that say balance due that makes up the rest of your hourly rate. You kind of get screwed on overtime pay though because it's only at 19 somthing an hour.

I just started as casual your pay will be like 13 bucks an hour but on your check there is section that say balance due that makes up the rest of your hourly rate. You kind of get screwed on overtime pay though because it's only at 19 somthing an hour.
Is that casual city, or dock only? That sounds like it is in line with a casual dock rate of something like $14/hr. If you just started you should have gotten the specifics before you punched in for the first time...

I was just hired for the City Driver School position. I went through another school a month or so ago and received my CDL with all my endorsements but I think ABF only recognizes their own school for training. No problem here, I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity as this is my first driving job and I get to get on with a union LTL carrier! :19: Believe me I do feel blessed. The whole process for me was only about 2 weeks after my interview. I have a clean MVR and 3 jobs in 20 years so that may have helped.

While no job is perfect, the months I've spent "lurking" in forums, researching and digesting the information about the companies I was interested in, ABF was at the top of my list to try and get on with and it happened. I know that the Teamsters have taken some pretty big hits over the last several years with concessions in pay, pension and insurance, but as an outsider looking in, ABF still seems like one of the best companies to work for in trucking. I'm looking forward to a career as a professional driver and realize I'll have some "dues to pay" but hopefully this will be the place I retire from in 20 years.

(I'm coming from an industry that the government has totally destroyed. I took over a 50% pay cut in the last year and saw my contribution to my health care go from $500 a month to over $800 a month. I never had a pension and they lowered the match on our 401K. You can see why I consider myself so fortunate.)

I was just hired for the City Driver School position. I went through another school a month or so ago and received my CDL with all my endorsements but I think ABF only recognizes their own school for training. No problem here, I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity as this is my first driving job and I get to get on with a union LTL carrier! :19: Believe me I do feel blessed. The whole process for me was only about 2 weeks after my interview. I have a clean MVR and 3 jobs in 20 years so that may have helped.

While no job is perfect, the months I've spent "lurking" in forums, researching and digesting the information about the companies I was interested in, ABF was at the top of my list to try and get on with and it happened. I know that the Teamsters have taken some pretty big hits over the last several years with concessions in pay, pension and insurance, but as an outsider looking in, ABF still seems like one of the best companies to work for in trucking. I'm looking forward to a career as a professional driver and realize I'll have some "dues to pay" but hopefully this will be the place I retire from in 20 years.

(I'm coming from an industry that the government has totally destroyed. I took over a 50% pay cut in the last year and saw my contribution to my health care go from $500 a month to over $800 a month. I never had a pension and they lowered the match on our 401K. You can see why I consider myself so fortunate.)
Congratulations and welcome aboard, I hope it all goes well for you. I don't think anyone will argue that ABF is one of the best, if not the best place to be right now and hopefully it will remain that way. It sounds like you did your homework first and that's great. As you already know we have taken a good hit lately and it is not as good as it used to be but then that is the case throughout the entire industry. As lucky as you are and as grateful as you should be keep your ears open and learn as much as you can. You appear to be smart enough to sort through the bull****, which there is plenty of. I would say that it is my experience that ABF is a business and they are as greedy as any other business out there. So keep that in mind in the future when they come looking for more from us (I do expect that that day will come). They have done so at least three times now and this was the first time they got us. Let's make it the last.
Welcome aboard and good luck.

I was told I have a 30 day probationary period then I will be added to the seniority board. Starting at $19, then when added to the seniority board I go to 90% of full driver pay which should be around $20.40 an hr. I cant drive on the road until I complete the 4 weeks of school, but since I have my CDL, I can do yard work, hosteling etc. I assume that I'm considered casual during the probationary period.

OK, not being able to go out on the street could put you into a dock casual classification and a low rate. Once you are put on probation as combo driver you qualify as an employee and would get 90% of top rate, which you will receive until you have a year's seniority. The question is will you be casual for a long period of time or will you go right on as probationary?

Well, I don't go to Fort Smith until late February. I was told that I will go right on to 30 day probation as soon as I start. I may or may not get called in prior to leaving for school (depends on how busy they are and if everyone else is working) but that every day I work counts towards my 30 days. I was aware of the low dock rate but when I asked the manager about it, he told me the only time I will get paid the dock rate is on my orientation day. Hopefully I understood him correctly, time will tell..

Well, I don't go to Fort Smith until late February. I was told that I will go right on to 30 day probation as soon as I start. I may or may not get called in prior to leaving for school (depends on how busy they are and if everyone else is working) but that every day I work counts towards my 30 days. I was aware of the low dock rate but when I asked the manager about it, he told me the only time I will get paid the dock rate is on my orientation day. Hopefully I understood him correctly, time will tell..

Good luck to you !!! You are joining a very good company. We do complain on here ,but we love our company !!!! Hope you do well.