ABF | City/Dock worth it?

Jai77

TB Lurker
Credits
Received a conditional offer for a full-time city/dock worker in Indy. What's the schedule going to be like? I like my set start time and M-F,.weekends off schedule I have right now.

Currently make about the same hourly rate at my current job, but the health insurance sucks. They're willing to increase my pay to help offset that. Just trying to see if the grass is greener

Received a conditional offer for a full-time city/dock worker in Indy. What's the schedule going to be like? I like my set start time and M-F,.weekends off schedule I have right now.

Currently make about the same hourly rate at my current job, but the health insurance sucks. They're willing to increase my pay to help offset that. Just trying to see if the grass is greener
Most city guys work m-f but being on the bottom you most likely will be unassigned non guaranteed. Everyone goes thru this. But some get a bid and a start time. For your benefits you are looking at over $40,000 a year in health and pension that is paid by the company. On top of your pay and are contract is up next June. So we will be getting a raise.

If you're young. I would recommend a state or federal job. It's like a jackpot. There retirement and disability tax free. Work the system or the system works you. I'm at the terminal now eight at night. A bunch of people just now taking there lunch break? Kissasses. Management will use you bad. Retirement if you want to leave at fifty seven you won't get much. They want you to leave at sixty two. If you have no skills in life or abf likes traped people.

Most city guys work m-f but being on the bottom you most likely will be unassigned non guaranteed. Everyone goes thru this. But some get a bid and a start time. For your benefits you are looking at over $40,000 a year in health and pension that is paid by the company. On top of your pay and are contract is up next June. So we will be getting a raise.
I guess I was under the impression extraboard guys were working six days a week often.

I second go40 comment. Stay where you're at if you don't want to go through some pain. With this job your start times are all over the place when your bottom guy. Also check the seniority list and ask if anyone is close to retirement if not you could be on the bottom for years at an EOL terminal.

I had 17 years @ 050 & retired while still on south Harding Street. ABF has its problems. But, it is a stable company. And I know of no company that gives you 40 grand a year in medical & pension benefits. Correction. A CBA that the union fought for on your behalf is what makes the pay & benefits outstanding for this company & industry. The the union has its problems and is not as strong as it was 30 years ago. But you have to ask yourself, where have I seen a company offer the same? You have not. No one knows the future. I retired with 17 years vested all @ ABF & my pension is 2040.00 per month. AND the federal government passed a bill last year giving 80 Billion to Central States Fund. Making my retirement money very stable. Trucking is a tough industry. The dock will take its toll on your body. So will the road. But not like the dock will. If you don’t want to risk going out on your own as an O & O then ABF is a very good option. I think a lot of weakly Medical costs for most company employees are around 100.00 a week. And most don’t come close to what Central States C-6 program offers. The monthly cost to obtain all of this? About 60 bucks for union dues. Now tell me how much your. family medical coverage is? Von.

I had 17 years @ 050 & retired while still on south Harding Street. ABF has its problems. But, it is a stable company. And I know of no company that gives you 40 grand a year in medical & pension benefits. Correction. A CBA that the union fought for on your behalf is what makes the pay & benefits outstanding for this company & industry. The the union has its problems and is not as strong as it was 30 years ago. But you have to ask yourself, where have I seen a company offer the same? You have not. No one knows the future. I retired with 17 years vested all @ ABF & my pension is 2040.00 per month. AND the federal government passed a bill last year giving 80 Billion to Central States Fund. Making my retirement money very stable. Trucking is a tough industry. The dock will take its toll on your body. So will the road. But not like the dock will. If you don’t want to risk going out on your own as an O & O then ABF is a very good option. I think a lot of weakly Medical costs for most company employees are around 100.00 a week. And most don’t come close to what Central States C-6 program offers. The monthly cost to obtain all of this? About 60 bucks for union dues. Now tell me how much your. family medical coverage is? Von.
Von is 17 years your total?
And may I ask your age when you started drawing?

Short answer is NO grass not greener , stay at your job that lets you go home at 40 hours
3f5c650797ae87797b0a6f7940c42cb7.jpg

Reading Von's post #7 reminds me, I started with Ryder in 55, we joined the Teamsters in 57.
They closed the doors in 90, 33 yrs as a Teamster, I retired in 90 if I make it 17 more days I will have been drawing that rocking chair check from C S for 33 yrs.
I don't know where Von gets dock work is hard as a line driver's job.
I sat on the air seat for 7.5 hrs, riding in A C comfort, eating donuts, drinking Pepsi, flirting with women, talking on the CB, and entertaining folks with my harmonica, it's a hard job being an ole Teamster, but someone has to do it.

Von is 17 years your total?
And may I ask your age when you started drawing?
Hired October 1998 Retired January 1, 2016. 62 years old @ retirement. I am on full disability NOT thru the union. Fused neck & lower lumbar issues restricted me to not lifiting over 20 lbs. Can't pass the ABF Physical with that restriction, hence the forced retirement. I am lucky. All my time was with ABF paying in to my pension. The YRC or Yellow rank & file have to work 4 years to get 1 year of retirement credit. If I had been with a non-union outfit, my 2 grand a month would not be a thought. Good luck with your choice. von.
But if you mow with a 102 wide deck, you can get done on straight time, and still enjoy a Miller or 2.
I have a 60 inch X-Mark. How much longer would it take to cut the grass? And, how many more millers am I due because of the excessive cutting time? von.

Hired October 1998 Retired January 1, 2016. 62 years old @ retirement. I am on full disability NOT thru the union. Fused neck & lower lumbar issues restricted me to not lifiting over 20 lbs. Can't pass the ABF Physical with that restriction, hence the forced retirement. I am lucky. All my time was with ABF paying in to my pension. The YRC or Yellow rank & file have to work 4 years to get 1 year of retirement credit. If I had been with a non-union outfit, my 2 grand a month would not be a thought. Good luck with your choice. von.

I have a 60 inch X-Mark. How much longer would it take to cut the grass? And, how many more millers am I due because of the excessive cutting time? von.
Thanks Von!
Sorry about your neck and lumbar.