ABF | City driver/dock

So what does this actually mean? Do you spend more time out in the city or are you a glorified dock worker?
Here at Little Rock, we are a Service Center (Break Bulk). All jobs are bid by seniority. Our city/dock seniority roster has roughly 125 full time employees on it. Of those 125, there are only 12 bid city jobs. You will have to have at least 4 to 5 years under your belt here to get a bid city driving job if even then. We also have 22 bid hostling jobs. Everything else is dock bids (roughly 90 jobs). If you are applying at a smaller, End of the Line terminal, you could very well be city driver from day one. Just so you know, the dock work is not like the old days. Probably 85 to 90 percent is forklift work.

So what does this actually mean? Do you spend more time out in the city or are you a glorified dock worker?
What area are you considering applying at. The reason I ask is because different regions have different supplemental agreements. There may be someone from the general area you are considering that could give you more accurate info about the work.

Here at Little Rock, we are a Service Center (Break Bulk). All jobs are bid by seniority. Our city/dock seniority roster has roughly 125 full time employees on it. Of those 125, there are only 12 bid city jobs. You will have to have at least 4 to 5 years under your belt here to get a bid city driving job if even then. We also have 22 bid hostling jobs. Everything else is dock bids (roughly 90 jobs). If you are applying at a smaller, End of the Line terminal, you could very well be city driver from day one. Just so you know, the dock work is not like the old days. Probably 85 to 90 percent is forklift work.

Here is the #1 dock guy @ The Rock....

CB629021-8996-4985-889C-0B27769283C2.md.jpg

Our barn is small but i work the dock in the morning helping the inbound guy.
I finished up with CF at a small barn. 1 guy milking disability (#1 on board) 1 dock bid & 5 street bids with 1 Teamster office Biller, office Mgr/dispatcher & TM/salesman. Loved it & as my nature I was bottom dog. Kinda like a small family of redheaded step children of CF. LMAO I still didn't trust Mgmt. Side note the TM & I both rode Harley's, Didn't stop me from filing a runaround grievance on dispatch.

Last edited:
I finished up with CF at a small barn. 1 guy milking disability (#1 on board) 1 dock bid & 5 street bids with 1 Teamster office Biller, office Mgr/dispatcher & TM/salesman. Loved it & as my nature I was bottom dog. Kinda like a small family of redheaded step children of CF. LMAO I still didn't trust Mgmt. Side note the TM & I both rode Harley's, Didn't stop me from filing a runaround grievance on dispatch.
At times I filed even when I respected management. They usually understood there was nothing personal, just keeping the company honest by enforcing the agreement made by both parties. I saw warning letters given to those who intentionally violated terms of the agreement & even some were discharged. But they usually got their jobs back one time. Normally ABF gave a second chance.