FedEx Freight | City Driver Stuff

SwampRatt

TB Legend
Credits
There are probably several issues that effect City Drivers but have little or no effect on Road drivers. It might be nice to know how these things are dealt with and/or addressed at other locations.

I'll go first:

No City Driver discussion would be compete without mentioning the single Benefit that is less fair for the City Driver. The Vacation Benefit. Every piece of the compensation structure applies to each driver when performing the same tasks. Mileage, drop and hooks, hourly, etc, apply equally to all. All benefits are the same, as is the cost thereof. Well, all except that one Benefit.

The Road earns the most fair calculation possible, based on a percentage of annual earnings. Annual divided by 52 equals 1 week, etc. A City Diver earns a straight 40 hour week. All of this regardless of actual time spent driving, working dock, etc.

Fair? I think not.

Not looking to make this a single topic thread, there are other things that might concern a City Driver.

Has anyone heard yet about the (minimum) $47 charge that will be assessed on shipments to and/or from certain rural zip codes?

We were told about this a couple weeks ago and I seem to recall that it goes into effect now, but I'm not certain. We were also told about the increase in revenue that this charge would generate (in theory). I'm curious if there has been any feedback from customers, yet. Will they pay this cost, or will they find another carrier? Obviously top tier customers will negotiate this charge away, but the smaller ones might be forced to leave. Is this a good thing? I'm not so sure.

Vacation deal would be nice don't see them changing it though. I wonder how they do the road drivers vacation in Cali now do they get the average like before or just the straight 40.

Vacation deal would be nice don't see them changing it though. I wonder how they do the road drivers vacation in Cali now do they get the average like before or just the straight 40.
I doubt they'll change a "benefit" for Drivers in one State, since they don't have to. Also, how would they determine which clock to pay the 40 hours off of. Road clock or City/Dock clock? That would open up an unnecessary can of worms.

The percentage of annual is, by far, the most fair, and will likely remain. For Road...

Agree with the vacation pay.More OT than I care for everyday,every week and then 40 straight time hours for an earned vacation week.
It's like taking a pay cut for a week.
I have not heard of the minimum charge for certain rural zip's yet.

Were getting ready to have our "fed ex is the best place to work" meeting in a few weeks with hr I'm sure a lot of positive changes will come out of this meeting. :tumbleweed::biglaugh:

Agree with the vacation pay.More OT than I care for everyday,every week and then 40 straight time hours for an earned vacation week.
It's like taking a pay cut for a week.
I have not heard of the minimum charge for certain rural zip's yet.
On the rural zip upcharge, it seems counterproductive. We should be seeking to increase density in those areas, rather than discourage that business. One of the zip codes I heard mention of was not even an end of line zip, but rather a pass through zip. In other words we are going to ride through anyway. Why not stop along the way?

I guess the bean counters know what they're doing... :idunno:

Were getting ready to have our "fed ex is the best place to work" meeting in a few weeks with hr I'm sure a lot of positive changes will come out of this meeting. :tumbleweed::biglaugh:
Hmmm... We also should have the annual employee survey coming up very soon. That rare chance to offer unfiltered feedback to Corporate. A full year over year assessment, since the PSP philosophy was said to have become front and center.

That's an interesting question. They'll have two different hourly rates I would imagine. Their new mileage and vacation rate and their regular hourly and sick pay. Gotta love the "peoples republic!"

That's an interesting question. They'll have two different hourly rates I would imagine. Their new mileage and vacation rate and their regular hourly and sick pay. Gotta love the "peoples republic!"

Van Repairs

Does anyone notice the horrible condition of SOME City trailers. Older 45' trailers, as well as SOME 48' & to a lesser extent 53s, have taken a beating, over the years.

The interior of some of these have missing/broken rub rails, missing/broken wall panels, holes in floors, etc. While I do write these things up, many of the above mentioned defects often don't get fixed. We have all seen the damage potential of these conditions.

While I can fully understand the reluctance to place these pieces of equipment out of service when we are too busy and available trailers are in short supply, one would think that while we are NOT at capacity, these issues could/should be addressed. We know that we live and die by the numbers, and the slow season may not be the best time to shoulder "costs", but from a operational/practical stand point, it is the only time. Any one here from Fleet Maintenance?

If we think we are saving money by not making these repairs, claims from damages MUST be factored in, not to mention, the Corporate image.

I used to think that FedEx (Freight) had a system of "Best Practices" to address things like this, refurbishing during slow season, taking time to get it right every time, etc, etc. It seems that there are many areas that have no rhyme or reason, and are left to random and varying degrees of attention.

There are probably several issues that effect City Drivers but have little or no effect on Road drivers. It might be nice to know how these things are dealt with and/or addressed at other locations.

I'll go first:

No City Driver discussion would be compete without mentioning the single Benefit that is less fair for the City Driver. The Vacation Benefit. Every piece of the compensation structure applies to each driver when performing the same tasks. Mileage, drop and hooks, hourly, etc, apply equally to all. All benefits are the same, as is the cost thereof. Well, all except that one Benefit.

The Road earns the most fair calculation possible, based on a percentage of annual earnings. Annual divided by 52 equals 1 week, etc. A City Diver earns a straight 40 hour week. All of this regardless of actual time spent driving, working dock, etc.

Fair? I think not.
Definitely not. I'd also like to see an hourly adjustment made for city driver pay to equal that of road drivers.

I'll go first:

Fair? I think not.
Definitely not. I'd also like to see an hourly wage for City Drivers equal to the average wage of a Road Driver. I understand we all make the same hourly wage but a road driver working the same amount of hours as me per day is making 25k more per year?????? Doesnt make any sense. If my area offered daytime runs I'd be more than happy to hold a steering wheel for 8 hours a day, get paid for 1/2 hour hooking a set that takes 10 mins. This is a serious flaw in the system. If anyone can tell me why Fedex seems to value their Road Drivers more than the City I'd love to listen.

Definitely not. I'd also like to see an hourly adjustment made for city driver pay to equal that of road drivers.

Definitely not. I'd also like to see an hourly wage for City Drivers equal to the average wage of a Road Driver. I understand we all make the same hourly wage but a road driver working the same amount of hours as me per day is making 25k more per year?????? Doesnt make any sense. If my area offered daytime runs I'd be more than happy to hold a steering wheel for 8 hours a day, get paid for 1/2 hour hooking a set that takes 10 mins. This is a serious flaw in the system. If anyone can tell me why Fedex seems to value their Road Drivers more than the City I'd love to listen.
We've had this conversation before...the average road driver is on duty for around 12 hrs a day, 60 hrs a week....some more, some less. If the city driver was on duty for that extra 20 hrs a week at time and a half, they too would pick up that extra $25K a year...again, some more some less.
It's not a FedEx thing, it's an industry thing. Road drivers with every company in the LTL industry earn more than city drivers due to their hours on duty.

We've had this conversation before...the average road driver is on duty for around 12 hrs a day, 60 hrs a week....some more, some less. If the city driver was on duty for that extra 20 hrs a week at time and a half, they too would pick up that extra $25K a year...again, some more some less.
It's not a FedEx thing, it's an industry thing. Road drivers with every company in the LTL industry earn more than city drivers due to their hours on duty.
If a road drivers drives 360 total miles at 60 miles per hour it will take 6 hours to complete. I haven't been payed mileage in awhile but I'm thinking it's about .65 per mile. That's a rate of $234 or $39 per hour. Now let's pay them 2 hrs for drops and hooks on each side. Most can complete those total hooks in less than an hour but get paid for 2. Let's say it takes them 2 hrs to complete the hooks, that totals an 8 hr day. The road driver has made $285 for his 8 hr work day and the city driver has made $207 and $25.98/ hr. Now the city driver does get overtime after 8 hrs but the road driver gets his overtime on the front end with how high the mileage pay is. Mileage pay is equal to overtime pay for a city driver. If you average out the pay for miles driven on a road driver and hours worked for a city driver, the pay is not even close. In this example the road driver received overtime pay for 6 of his first 8 hrs. Now this is equal pay? No. Now we get into road drivers receiving an average pay for vacations? Why cant city get an average based on their overtime like road gets on mileage? City gets the shorty on not only pay but vacation pay????? Seriously needs to be taken a look at. I promise road drivers would agree, city drivers have the hardest job at the company and yet get the shaft when it comes to pay. That's the reason they're road, they wouldn't want to deal with what city drivers do.