FedEx Freight | City Driver Stuff

The latest/greatest vans have improved securement points in the nose... I would guess the newest pups have this as well... Very nice.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Z4AM7JR.jpg
Isn't there a hook in the nose too, so big Dave can hang his hat on while he is loafing, I mean working in his trailer??

Isn't there a hook in the nose too, so big Dave can hang his hat on while he is loafing, I mean working in his trailer??
Not necessary. All my favorite shade trees in my area have a low hanging branch for that purpose. In fact there are two where. I can set up my portable hammock....

I better see a capital B next time...brg...

J.O.M contest concludes...

12/5 - 2/24. Duration 12 weeks. FXF-Company wide.

Must have MINIMUM or 3 JOMs per week, for 8 of the 12 weeks to qualify for the GRAND prize drawing. 2.5k-1st place/ 5k-grand prize.

Weekly prize: Die cast FXFE truck signed by Mike Ducker, & FXF hat.

Qualifying for the Grand prize drawing gets you a fitness sport bracelet w/bluetooth & FEF hat.

Each Economy Ship earns 1 entry, Priority earns 2 entries. Alaska, Hawaii, P. Rico,,V. Islands, Canada, Mexico, earn 3 entries per.

Smaller "gift" awarded weekly, for each week that you qualify (3 JOM).

Also, sales leads entered through the intermec, during the same 12 week period, earn a chance to win either $1500 (1st place) or $750 (2nd place). Leads for any Op-Co qualify.

* Managers are encouraged to print off AND post weekly results.

Anyone participate in the contest? Anyone qualify for the Grand prize drawing/sport bracelet/hat? Anyone learn anything, in the process? Anyone receive confirmation of qualifying? :scratchhead:

I did, and learned a couple of things. For one, it didn't go exactly as I expected it to go...

Any interest in discussing what we learned?

I did participate as always but got a late start. It was not communicated to me/us until it was 2+ weeks in. This could also be tied into the communication feedback thread. I fell short for qualifying by one week by my calculations. I have received a few prizes but still are lacking the balance of the random $3 logo prizes. Last contest I did qualify and it was several weeks after until confirmation. That was a letter suitable for framing and a emergency radio/flashlight with one of those with the hand crank.

I did participate as always but got a late start. It was not communicated to me/us until it was 2+ weeks in. This could also be tied into the communication feedback thread. I fell short for qualifying by one week by my calculations. I have received a few prizes but still are lacking the balance of the random $3 logo prizes. Last contest I did qualify and it was several weeks after until confirmation. That was a letter suitable for framing and a emergency radio/flashlight with one of those with the hand crank.

Yeah, timely communication (or lack thereof) was a key component. I started at the 1st stop, on the 1st day...

I did qualify (10 of the 12 weeks), although confirmation of weekly milestones seemed delayed. Also, worth noting, I'm told that initially the prizes came into the center with no names attached. This required some research (by leadership) to determine who was due what... The last few received came labeled with a name and the applicable week, 8, 9, 10 etc.

For a weekly qualifying reward, I thought there was some pretty cool stuff. Travel mug, aluminum water bottle, Zipper earbud speakers, limited edition JOM hat, just to name a few... Still curious about the autographed scale model trucks, said to be awarded (by drawing) weekly. Of course the big prize would be nice, but that was always a long shot...

Gotta run, more later...
:smilie93c peelout:

Last edited:
Some prizes are interesting. I too received a water bottle for my collection. The bottle and blank diary type book seem to be awarded each year. I am curious how effective or practical the fan that plugs into your cell phone prize will be.

J O M Contest-What we learned.

To be perfectly honest, I initially thought minimum required to qualify, 3 per week 8 of the 12 weeks, was a bit far fetched.. But with a reward that was worth it, I figured I would give it a full effort. The potential $5k prize, but also in order to be able to speak accurately on the obstacles faced.

It went a little differently than expected. 1) I expected it to get more difficult as the weeks went on. 2) I didn't really expect to qualify.

Starting the 1st delivery stop on the 1st day, I went in with a book of pros, and asked every single customer. It became entertaining to see what the customer reaction would be., as well as reason be for not shipping with us. Who will actually care enough to be bothered by the topic? Interestingly, quite a few were willing to discuss it. Some would even check their shipping docs to see what they could do. For a couple the seed was planted and they would call back later, doing me no good contest wise, but providing a benefit to the company in added shipments.

I didn't keep track of the exact numbers, but I can say the vast majority came from asking early in the day,while delivering, provoking the conversation, pointing out (to non shipping customers) that we can pick up outbound shipments too. Even snagged a UPS package shipment, just by asking early in the day. This time the answer was, “let me check", “this one can go UPS package, or FedEx Freight”. Well, even though it was prepared for UPS package, they strapped it to a pallet and wallah, JOM.

Most times this created some extra work, making room or working around a couple pallets all day. But it did contribute to a more efficient day, by not having to return later for the pickup. Regular customers with a 16:00 close time, for example, became a non issue, when I could snag the pickup early, before they called it in. Efficiency achieved.

Only a hand full of added shipments (maybe 25%) came from the actual pickup side of the day, where the decisions had already been made. But by asking, it did provide for a dialog, and on occasion an extra shipment, if we could wait and/or make room.

I could write a lot more on the topic, but the bottom line is the process provided a number of things. Entertainment value for me, interaction and dialog with the customer., and yielded the occasional ship. I did qualify 10 of the 12 weeks, some weeks in excess of the minimum.

Most of my JOM experiences have mirrored yours over the years. I would assume being in 2 different areas with similar results that the same applies on a national level. Now there will always be some difficult routes with little to no success and others that make up for it. As I said before I was short to qualify by one week due to several weeks late start. I do hear frequently drivers state "I got one but never put in for it". Did you also get a sales lead? I think that was also required for the top prize.

Most of my JOM experiences have mirrored yours over the years. I would assume being in 2 different areas with similar results that the same applies on a national level. Now there will always be some difficult routes with little to no success and others that make up for it. As I said before I was short to qualify by one week due to several weeks late start. I do hear frequently drivers state "I got one but never put in for it". Did you also get a sales lead? I think that was also required for the top prize.
Yeah, I did get a sales lead. I think that was for a separate drawing, for a lesser amount.